Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#148980 - 04/11/02 07:28 PM bead head jigs???? question
FishinSinsation Offline
Spawner

Loc: kenmore, wa
I am making some bead head jigs, and on the beads whats the easiest way to enlarge the hole so i can fit the feathers, and string under the bead?

ive been turning the bead on a pair of scissors and i know there has to be a easier way,(blisters) i was thinking about heating like a nail and putting the bead on the nail??

any ideas? thanks

btw anyone who doesnt make jigs.... you should its super easy smile and i get em the way i want

casey

#148981 - 04/12/02 09:43 AM Re: bead head jigs???? question
Kid Sauk Offline
I'm a freak'n CAKE

Loc: Almost on the beach
Hey, Casey, I'll try and give you some pointers on how to get the beads to fit better. smile

You can heat up a large needle or nail like you said and melt a larger hole or use a drill to make it bigger too. Drilling the hole works well if you don't need to make the hole too much bigger, but you'll crack the bead a lot of the time by doing it that way.

I'm over here in the greater Seattle area and there are bead shops all over the place but I haven't been able to find the flourescent red/orange beads with the large diamater hole. confused

Oh yeah, your Vision sample is coming soon too wink

My name is Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiddddd.....
KID SAUK!!!!!

#148982 - 04/12/02 04:37 PM Re: bead head jigs???? question
FishinSinsation Offline
Spawner

hey justin check ship wreak beads its in oly.. i believe its the largest bead place in washington. ......

good deal about the sample comin.. im been checking the mail every day waiting smile

#148983 - 04/13/02 02:17 PM Re: bead head jigs???? question
CRAVEN MOOREHEAD Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: TACOMA,WA
I have never liked bead jigs. While I agree there are alot of different colors and sizes of beads to choose from, the majority of beads float. The natural bouyancy of the beads are working against the lead head to sink the jig. I think you want your jig to be directly under your float or bobber. Adding floating beads allows the current to slightly pick the jig up and carry it. This affects how your line moves thru the water and how your float or bobber floats on the surface...however so subtle. I am talking primarily with 1/8 and 1/16 oz jigs, anything bigger will probably be ok.
Just my observations and my .02

#148984 - 04/14/02 03:44 AM Re: bead head jigs???? question
Buzzo Offline
Parr

Loc: Albany, OR
Dremel moto-tool with the smallest diamond bit available works great. Plastic melts to it but chips off easy with a knife or blade, and it can drill through lead, too. Scissors, huh? You must have some patience. HT

#148985 - 04/14/02 04:37 AM Re: bead head jigs???? question
FishinSinsation Offline
Spawner

LOL somthing like that, i tried the dremel before you posted that, and it worked like crap.. and i tried to use the nail but melted to many beads to count.. geez.. im stuck with turning the bead on a pair of scissors.. hard work but it does work

#148986 - 04/14/02 10:18 AM Re: bead head jigs???? question
Thumper Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Vancouver, WA
I don't know whether the beads float or not, but the FirstCast beaded jigs absolutely crush the steelhead. Give me a couple of FirstCast beaded jigs, pink and white on the nickled jig head will do just fine, and no steelhead is safe. Even from me!

Please join CCA. After only 18 months total Pacific Northwest membership is over 7,000. We need you!

The walls of death have got to go!

#148987 - 04/14/02 11:41 AM Re: bead head jigs???? question
Buzzo Offline
Parr

Loc: Albany, OR
I might be using a softer bead. They're called super eggs and are available at some fly shops. I just keep a file nearby, do a quick run through the bead with the dremel, file off the stuck plastic, and make a quick run through the other side. You just have to be quick in and out or the bit will actually stick to the plastic and you can't get it off.

#148988 - 04/15/02 01:53 PM Re: bead head jigs???? question
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Loc: Osprey Acres /Olympja
clamp you're drill in a vise,grab bead with pliers and drill slowly....or buy beads with the right size hole to start with...good luck...Os

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Dick laxton, Lil Blue Sled, Lil Red Sled, Solash, The Moderator, WeServe
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1221 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645375 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |