Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#154668 - 07/06/02 02:18 AM Pink Worm?
Slam Offline
Fry

Loc: kelso, wa, USA
Going to try the pink worm for the first time and wondering if anyone can help. Should I drift or us a bobber and if I do how long of a leader and how many split shots etc. Just trying something new and would appreciate any info. Probably going to try on the Kalama or Cowlitz. Oh ya do you need to sent the worm.

#154669 - 07/06/02 08:48 AM Re: Pink Worm?
K B Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Woodinville WA
Most of the guy's in canada where it came from use a float. No sent needed. Yes you need a few split shot staggered down the line. Set the float so the worm is a foot off the bottom

#154670 - 07/06/02 09:59 AM Re: Pink Worm?
Divers Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle
Bob has some good info on his tips page too.
http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/floatfishing.htm

#154671 - 07/06/02 01:35 PM Re: Pink Worm?
Crayfin Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Beaverton
I have had really good luck just drift fishing this little wonder lure! The bite is usually a pretty good one too. I usually fish a small cheater in front of the worm and fish them the normal way.

Crayfin

#154672 - 07/09/02 01:06 AM Re: Pink Worm?
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy Offline
Spawner

Loc: Enumclaw
Hey call me ignorant and all... but whats a cheater?

#154673 - 07/09/02 01:10 AM Re: Pink Worm?
Jigman Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle
A Cheater is similar to a Corky but egg shaped rather than round. Pink worms fished on a jighead below a float can be deadly!

#154674 - 07/09/02 11:39 AM Re: Pink Worm?
BERKLEY BOY75 Offline
Spawner

Loc: AUBURN
i usually drift fish the pink worm, use a sewing needle to thread the line thru it, start from the top to say about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch from the bottom of the tail, ive noticed if i leave to much tail i get bite without a hook up..ive also fish it on a jig head but ive yet to find a jig head with a long shanked hook..anyways for steelies this is my fav go to lure. *berkley boy*

#154675 - 07/09/02 08:41 PM Re: Pink Worm?
Crayfin Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Has anybody else tried and putting a sequin between the worm and the hook? I think this would help the little sucker stay on better but it might tear instead of sliding down the hook. Just wondering if anybody thought of anything fancy to try.

Crayfin

#154676 - 07/09/02 09:01 PM Re: Pink Worm?
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Pretty much MUST put a bead, or sequin, between the hook and the worm. I suppose you don't have to, but it sure reduces the problems with the line tearing the worm on hangups.

I've caught 'em on floats and drifted, so for me it depends on the bottom. If it's not too snaggy, then I usually prefer to drift. With a corky or upside down cheater pinned to the head of the worm, it drifts nicely and the hits are anything but subtle.

Floated, it's not much different than a jig or bait, but I tend to use a little longer leader, from the float to the worm. With the proper amount of split shots staggered down the line, I tend to let it drift with a bit more drag than I would bait or a jig, kind of fishing it behind the float on a modified swing rather than below it on a dead drift. Fishing it this way, you better be ready for a big splash when the float gets ripped from side to side or straight down.

Good luck, and Fish on...

Todd.

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#154677 - 07/10/02 11:27 AM Re: Pink Worm?
BERKLEY BOY75 Offline
Spawner

Loc: AUBURN
what is a sequin? how big a bead are we talking about here? anyways, im ruining more worms within 3 casts or so than i ever have...**berkley boy**

#154678 - 07/10/02 11:49 AM Re: Pink Worm?
Crayfin Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Gentleman........how would you describe a sequin? It's a flat shiny thing that you see on dresses. A thin wafer basically with a hole through the middle slightly larger than a standard eraser. They come in a ton of different colors. They are about .99 for as many as you would use in your lifetime!

Crayfin

#154679 - 07/10/02 12:10 PM Re: Pink Worm?
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Is that bead/sequin really a must? The only time you'll tear up the worm is if it gets caught in the rocks. At that point, no bead in the world will help you prevent a worm from getting trashed.

Not a big deal if the worm slides down the hook - you just slide it back up. Keeping that worm absolutely flat and straight is the key.

I'm a big fan of keeping it simple. Adding more beads, and nick-knacks to the worm setup no longer seems simple to me.

Then again, I try to use worms that stick to the line and are not that slick. Not all wormies are the same. Some really slide more than others.

On an average float down the Hoh, we expect each person in the boat to lose at least 15 worms. Some to tearing, others to fish. That's just what happens when you side drift or drift fish wormies.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Schmidtm, schmidty, Spinhead
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Krijack), 398 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |