Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#155305 - 07/16/02 10:19 PM LaPush fishing is great
StorminN Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Blyn, WA
Went out to LaPush and fished with Larry Williamson (Admiralty Charters 360-417-2875) last Friday and Saturday. The fishing was phenomenal. No really huge fish, but lots of chinook in the high teens to low 20's, our biggest was 24lbs.

The good news is that there are lots of coho out there (WDFW and others had predicted much smaller returns than last year) the coho were big for this time of year, and plentiful. We released non-clipped coho to 11 lbs, and kept a couple of clipped ones that were 8lbs. We probably released 30 coho a day. We limited the boat both days on 16 fish each day. There is good fishing out in the ocean, from Neah Bay to Westport... get out there before they're gone!!

-N.

#155306 - 07/16/02 10:51 PM Re: LaPush fishing is great
jcw Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Chehalis, Wa, USA
StorminN,
Is it possible to launch and safely take a twenty foot boat out of LaPush? I'd love to try it but only if I have a reasonable chance of surviving. Email me if you like. Thanks in advance.

#155307 - 07/16/02 11:25 PM Re: LaPush fishing is great
glowball Offline
Spawner

Loc: bullcanyon
i've been out on the push a lot with my grandfather and all i can tell you is that he's been going out there for over 30 years and it still makes him nervous. 20' is plenty of boat but be careful. I wouldn't go out with out a gps or loran either. the fog can come in in the blink of an eye and finding the river in that stuff will scare you to death. But if you go out good luck to ya.

#155308 - 07/16/02 11:27 PM Re: LaPush fishing is great
barnettm Offline
Spawner

Loc: Maple Valley, Wa.
Hi there Norm,

like your other post, I would like to know if 20-25 boats go out of La Push. Thanks

#155309 - 07/17/02 04:14 AM Re: LaPush fishing is great
StorminN Offline
Returning Adult

Well guys, this is a tough one...

How shall I put it? First off, I've only been out of LaPush a handful of times, and never on my own boat.

On Friday, I saw plenty of 18, 19, 20ft boats going out of LaPush. The weather was sunny and the water was nice. I would have taken my 19' Custom Weld (11 degree hull) out on a day like that. Most people were fishing 5 to 7 miles out.

But Saturday was a different story... it was windy and lumpy, and just a bit snottier. You couldn't tell what the weather was going to do, and I would NOT have taken my boat out that day. I hear Sunday was even worse.

So there you have it, it really depends upon the weather. You can always tow your boat to Sekiu or somewhere else if the weather is nasty out on the coast.

Beware, as other have said, the fog in LaPush. Many days, it is sunny everywhere except right along the coast, where it's foggy. Make sure you have a good compass, GPS, VHF radio, and make sure you are fluent in using them... can you pilot your boat with nothing more than your compass and GPS? Make sure your boat is up to par... two engines, both are working fine, plenty of good gas, etc. These are some of the reasons why people die out there.

The approach into the harbor at LaPush is plain scary the first few times you do it. It feels like it's 5 feet wide (though it's at least a couple hundred), with rocks just underwater to your left, and a jetty to your right.

Make sure when you first go out of the harbor, you set your GPS waypoints carefully. Too many people just set one waypoint at the river mouth, and if you go out and try coming back from the north in the fog, heading for a waypoint set at the river mouth, you'll run right into an island. Just make sure you set good waypoints that extend out so if you're coming back in in fog you can make it around the island and approach the river from the south. Most of the time, the river mouth is protected from direct swell by the island, but I've heard that when the swell is from the south, it can get nasty, too. I've never seen it like that.

I guess my best suggestion is the first time you go out there, go with a charter (like Larry) or someone else that has been there a bunch and knows what they're doing. Watch what they do, watch how they approach the river and where they travel in the channel. The fishing is great there, but no fishing is worth risking your life for, so just be smart and careful.

-N.

#155310 - 07/17/02 11:02 AM Re: LaPush fishing is great
Kramer Offline
Spawner

Loc: GH & PA, WA
I've fished out of LaPush with my 19' for the last two years and have had a few lumpy days out there. In fact, my wife will never go to the ocean again after the last trip (mission accomplished!).

I have never felt unsafe though. In fact my father-in-law has fished his 16' for the last 30 years out there. You just have to be safe and know your limits. It is a great fishery but you do have to be very careful with the rocks going in and out of the river. And fog can really sneak up on you so good electronics are a must.

#155311 - 07/18/02 02:43 PM Re: LaPush fishing is great
Nebb Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Forks
Please learn from my mistakes. I went out of LaPush (or as we out here call it, the other LA) one time. I had no compass, GPS, radar, NOTHING... I was in an 18ft boat and had to much confidence in my abilities with no respect for the sea. Well I had some, but not much. Anyhows, we left and ran into a fog bank about 4 miles out. I thought, no big deal, we can still go, I'll keep the sun to my back. NO Problem. WRONG!! To make a long story short. I ended up off Destruction Island!! Scared the crap outta me. The only way back was thru the fog. when I arrived at the red bouy in front of LA, I wanted to kiss it. Refueled the boat and found I had only one gallon of gas left in the tank. BE CAREFUL out there and always have respect for the seas!!!!! If you'd like the full version of the story email me and I will tell ya all about it.. eek eek eek

#155312 - 07/19/02 03:53 AM Re: LaPush fishing is great
StorminN Offline
Returning Adult

What is your email address?? I didn't see it in your profile?

-N.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1318 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |