LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#158353 - 08/27/02 04:26 PM Help?? what am i doing wrong?
ladyjessica Offline
Eyed Egg

#158354 - 08/27/02 04:50 PM Re: Help?? what am i doing wrong?
papafsh Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Everett, WA.
LadyJ,

Sounds like you're on target with the set-up. One question, how are you attaching the roe sac?

If I may suggest, try putting the roe-sac above the hook for better hook-ups. The way to do this is to run your leader right through the sac with a large needle before you attach it to the swivel. To keep the roe-sac from sliding down over the hook eye, use a small corkey or medium sized bead between them.

This set-up allows you to use the bait loop for a small piece of yarn, which will also help keep those biters from sliping the hook.

Good luck!
cool

#158355 - 08/27/02 05:16 PM Re: Help?? what am i doing wrong?
MaxMad Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: "the middle kingdom" aka Cheha...
1. You should feel your weight hitting the bottom as it goes down stream but, it shouldn't be stopping & you should NOT have to be "popping" it off the bottom to keep it moving, the river should be doing the work

2. leader length is controversial issue but, i believe the clearer & slower the water, the longer the leader, personally, I wouldn't use a leader shorter than 4' to 5'

3. put an orange or pink or white (glow ball), the smallest size you can get & use a # 2 hook w/ eggs or green (chartruese) yarn w/shrimp oil

4. if you are drifting correctly, i.e. your weight is peep peep peeping along on the bottom without your help, you will know after several drifts what a bite is & you will know what to do

#158356 - 08/27/02 11:13 PM Re: Help?? what am i doing wrong?
Fishaddict Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: lacey, Wa.
Nothing beats FRESH eggs. I never buy roe from a store, its like you going to a restaurant and ordering stale food. Fish are picky and have a keen sense of smell. Another tip is to use at least 8lb test line. Low clear water the fish want as natural presention as possible. Yes, some fish are aggresive early Am but as soon as the sun hits the water they can get shy. Also, use only enough weight to get down to the bottom. If you are getting snagged alot of having to lift your weight off the bottom you have to much lead. I like to ONLY tie on a hook and place split shot on my line. Winter you will have to use more lead but summer you can get away with light gear. Of course this is my suggestion and I am sure everyone has different techniques. Good luck laugh

#158357 - 08/28/02 04:31 AM Re: Help?? what am i doing wrong?
Vic Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa, USA
As far as leader legnth goes I am with Mad Max in that I prefer a longish leader. Keep in mind that when the fish picks up your bait you aren't going to feel him until the lead drifts by and the line tightens up. So I would reccomend that you use as short a leader as the conditions will allow for.

As far as the bite goes. I would say that with most of the fish that I catch all I ever feel is the weight come off the bottom, or the line stop. If you feel that rip lips!!!

Good Luck

#158358 - 08/28/02 09:04 AM Re: Help?? what am i doing wrong?
CRAVEN MOOREHEAD Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: TACOMA,WA
my suggestion would be this.....scrap the drift fishing for now. I think the low flows, super clear water and shy fish make summer is a tough and frustrating time to learn this technique. I would get a few bobbers and jigs and toss those around for awhile. You have a spinning rod and reel, so there is not much cost involved to make a change. When the bobber goes down, set the hook and hold on....this (in my opinion) is a great way to intorduce someone new to the sport of Steelheading

#158359 - 08/28/02 03:06 PM Re: Help?? what am i doing wrong?
cohoangler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Vancouver, Washington
Jess - For summer steelhead, use a float/jig combination. Eggs will work but they can be difficult to use. Your rig is perfect for jigs. Tip a pink or white jig with a shrimp or prawn tail and hang it about a foot or two (depending on water depth) under a fixed float. Drift it through a hole or a tailout and you should get some interest from a steelhead. It's easy and I've had great success on the Lewis River summer steelhead this year. Good luck.

#158360 - 08/28/02 03:09 PM Re: Help?? what am i doing wrong?
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
I personally like floats and jigs-- you can get bit and not have to reel in to check your bait- can finish out the drift.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#158361 - 08/28/02 03:16 PM Re: Help?? what am i doing wrong?
MaxMad Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: "the middle kingdom" aka Cheha...
GOOD POINT, jig & bobber in the summer is the way to go if you have the room, don't be afraid to open your bail & let it run out a ways & do not be afraid to work it in close I've had the best luck not being in the main current but on the egdes of the current, i've found a white head, red body & black tail or all pink jigs work well, also, applying oil (crawdad or shrimp oil) helps a bunch too ...

#158362 - 08/28/02 09:28 PM Re: Help?? what am i doing wrong?
Fishboy5 Offline
Parr

Loc: Battle Ground, WA
Would a jig and bobber work well on the Wind River? Or would bait on the bottom be better?
Thanks

#158363 - 08/28/02 10:29 PM Re: Help?? what am i doing wrong?
Woodsy Wayne Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: everett
The float, with either jig or bait is a great way to start, and very successful.(good suggestion)

Drift fishing takes some time to learn, but I recommend doing that as well, using good eggs, fresh, does make a difference.

Talk with people on the banks that are catching fish, and see what they are using, and ask questions, most will do that if they know you are sincere.

If you can afford it, go with a guide, and they are very helpful with info, and teaching tactics, and most have done their share on the bank too, plus you can learn new spots to fish.

You are doing the right thing by asking questions!! wink

Good Luck
Woodsy Wayne

#158364 - 08/28/02 11:09 PM Re: Help?? what am i doing wrong?
Fishaddict Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: lacey, Wa.
Last suggestion

Fresh bait is always good. (Eggs or sandshrimp) I always place them in a small hand carried cooler with ice. The hot days of summer will kill your sandshrimp and make them smell after a few hours. You eggs will begin to ferment. Carring a hand held cooler can be a pain but the rewards can be great.

#158365 - 08/28/02 11:46 PM Re: Help?? what am i doing wrong?
Capt. Steelhead Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Port Orchard,WA
If you really want to get a nice jerk get there 1/2 hour before sunrise use length of leaders talked about float or drift use minimun lead as stated in really great post all you, one other bait, a nice moss soaked 6" nightcrawler wham! smile

#158366 - 08/29/02 02:32 AM Re: Help?? what am i doing wrong?
Robert Allen3 Offline
Spawner

Loc: vancouver WA USA
fishboy the Wind river is closed to steelhead fishing so it would be a very bad place to fish a jig and bobber.
Also north fork steelhead are suckers for chome spinners and spoons. For learning to drift fish I recommend using a couple 1 inch pieces of "glo-bug "yarn and maybe a corkie and sometimes shrimp oil. the bites feel the same as roe until the yarn frays and the fish starts headshaking in an attempt of getting it out of his teeth, with a sharp hook they are pretty easy to hook. I think another common drift fishing problem is casting so far that you can't get a timely and effective hookset. Just my opinions for what they are worth

#158367 - 08/31/02 08:53 PM Re: Help?? what am i doing wrong?
Fishboy5 Offline
Parr

Loc: Battle Ground, WA
I couldn't find my reg book, so thanks for warning me.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (wolverine, 20 Gage), 1435 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |