#159394 - 09/10/02 01:33 AM WA. Boat trailer license fees incresed 200 +%
Gizmo Man Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Ridgefield, WA
Just got the renewal for one of my 4 boat trailers. Fee went from around
$12 last year to $36.50 this year. I called DMV thinking it was a mistake
and found out that the legislature cleaned up the confused ballot that was
passed last year. So instead of no new taxes all trailers, mopeds,
motorcycles will be at a new rate of over $30.

So I called my local representative to find out what is going on and was
told that thanks to Mary Margret Haugen, Chair of the Senate
Transportation Committee (representing the 10th District) that she pushed
this through. Supposedly, the senate passed some bill to clean up the
confused ballot and this is what we ended up with. My representative
claimed he was unaware that the end result was a 200 + % increase.

So, if you think dragging your db trailer or small boat trailer down the road
at a rate higher than automobiles is fair do nothing. If you think this is an
end run around what we as voters told our elected representatives when
we passed the tax and auto tabs initaitive then call Ms. Haugen and the
Governor and ask them how we got screwed when they screwed up. Also
call your local representatives and let them know how you feel. I did and
got a phone call from one of mine tonight

Giz...

#159395 - 09/10/02 02:14 AM Re: WA. Boat trailer license fees incresed 200 +%
Vic Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa, USA
You know what really ticks me off is that those A-Holes aren't going to give us anyting more for our money. All they want ot do is find ways to part you from your dollars. Well I guesse thats what happens when uninformed/misguided do gooders vote for liberals.

For those of you who are liberal and offended by these comments Good!

#159396 - 09/10/02 04:42 AM Re: WA. Boat trailer license fees incresed 200 +%
posh II Offline
Returning Adult

The OregonTV news had the fee going from $10 to $52....much more than a 200+ increase..
on a 16 foot trailer.

#159397 - 09/10/02 09:35 AM Re: WA. Boat trailer license fees incresed 200 +%
QwikSticks Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Brier, WA
yup mine went from 12.50 to $54.00

#159398 - 09/10/02 11:12 AM Re: WA. Boat trailer license fees incresed 200 +%
Slab Quest Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Mukilteo or Westport
So an $80,000 Mercedes that is driven everyday pays less for tabs that a $1,200 boat trailer that is used a few times a year?

Great.

I think the state thinks all boat owners are rich.

Have you noticed how the WS Ferries screw the guy towing a little boat?

#159399 - 09/10/02 12:56 PM Re: WA. Boat trailer license fees incresed 200 +%
CDSeattle Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Woodinville, WA
Yikes!! My doesn't come due until next July, but I don't want to pay those fees!

Please take the time to contact your sentor and representatives. Here's the link...all you have to do is enter your zipcode send them an email describing your feelings on this issue: http://dfind.leg.wa.gov/dfinder.cfm

#159400 - 09/10/02 01:21 PM Re: WA. Boat trailer license fees incresed 200 +%
troller Offline
Spawner

Loc: Renton , WA
This does really suck to many licenses to even keep track of. I am still trying to figure out why I even pay for a camper license no steering wheel no tires. The truck is license and I pay tonage what is that for?? I saw above that the oregon is also going up are your tabs good for two years. Washington tabs are due every year. They get you one way or another. I used to think a state income tax would be more fair at least you can put it in your federal taxes . Put with our politions they would figure out how to get even more out of us any chance they get. With sales tax at almost 9% and the highest alcohol and tabacco taxes around what more to they want. I make a paycheck they take taxes out of it , I buy something they take some more, then I go to the dump and they tax that and if I have any left when I die they will tax that. I have to laugh when I look at my dads property taxes. He is on a fixed income has lived and paid property tax his whole live and served his country in WWII. He now pays every five years on property taxes what he paid for the house. That is why I now vote for the people I think will solve some of our goverment waste and overspending.

#159401 - 09/10/02 02:13 PM Re: WA. Boat trailer license fees incresed 200 +%
Slab Quest Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Mukilteo or Westport
Troller,

Bottom line is that out of the 50 states, WA is in the top 10 (#7?) for the amount of $$ per capita that it extracts from it's citizens.

But like Vic said, we consistently elect liberals so we reap what we sow.

#159402 - 09/10/02 03:54 PM Re: WA. Boat trailer license fees incresed 200 +%
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Right.............it's the liberals. Just like when the stock market goes down, the terrorists attack, drug use goes up, and it rains too much.

Boy, I wish I was a faultless conservative. rolleyes

Did you read about Dick Cheney and the 5 BILLION dollar Navy stealth fighter debacle? Of course not.........because Dick Cheney is a conservative and THEY never waste gov't money right?

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#159403 - 09/10/02 04:14 PM Re: WA. Boat trailer license fees incresed 200 +%
Bobber Down Offline
Spawner

Loc: Lake Forest Dark, Wa
$54 dollar tabs would be more than half the value of my beat up 12-foot trailer eek

BD

"It makes no sense to regulate salmon habitat on land while allowing thousands of yards of gill nets to be stretched across salmon habitat in the water"

John Carlson, Gubernatorial Contender, Sept. 2000 speech at the Ballard Locks

#159404 - 09/10/02 04:36 PM Re: WA. Boat trailer license fees incresed 200 +%
troller Offline
Spawner

Loc: Renton , WA
I guess we all have opinions about our countries politics. I think both sides have problems and dont agree with either side being to one side or the other. Maybe that is why third party canidates have become more popular. The republicans lost with the moral majority and the demos totally hacked me off when they decided that I am not smart enough to own a gun. I also think both sides have good ideas it is to bad they cant work together. I guess that is why I am for term limits. I dont take sides anymore just vote on the issues that mean the most to myself and my family. thats enough of that If anyone ever brought up politics while i was fishin It would mean a quick trip back to shore for them. It takes away from the relaxation and enjoyment of fishing. I actually gave up arguing politics a long time ago dont need the raise in blood pressure.

#159405 - 09/10/02 05:47 PM Re: WA. Boat trailer license fees incresed 200 +%
steelheadslayer Offline
Parr

Loc: Longview, WA
Yeah, O thought it was pretty cool having my trailer fees go from 12 bucks to 33 this year. That's only 20 bucks less than my tabs for my 2000 Silverado, and my trailer doesn't have 4 wheel drive or leather seats. I plan on contacting my reps about this issue soon. Has anyone else noted an increase in their boat tabs? Mine stayed the same but my dad said his were around 400 dollars this year.

#159406 - 09/10/02 05:47 PM Re: WA. Boat trailer license fees incresed 200 +%
CedarR Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Olympia, WA
Got my "surprise" when I went in to renew the trailer license a few days before Labor Day. Had to pay last years tab fee (good for four days), and the new "supersized" fee. I wrote DOL a check that was equal to the value of my ancient Holsclaw trailer eek

If the legislature doesn't correct this oversight next session, boat owners should run an initiative making $10 trailer tab fees mandatory. How hard would it be to get signatures for that one at the boat ramps. Be sure to give your reps an earful, when you see your renewal notice.

#159407 - 09/10/02 08:30 PM Re: WA. Boat trailer license fees incresed 200 +%
Big Jim Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma, Wa. USA
This is why I am all for ending political parties. No democrats, no republicans. just people and issues. No more big money deciding what laws get passed. This way we would get a TRUE reflection of local views. Not some tilted "party" view just to get the votes. I almost always vote republican, but on occasion swing to the left if I feel that person has good ideas. Most republicans share our outdoor ideas better then the democrats. So that is one other reason I vote that way. But it is also high time to UnLocke Washington. I have heard enough of "I will fix the roads and traffic". By raising every tax he can. He needs to fix his cranial-rectal issue.

#159408 - 09/10/02 09:58 PM Re: WA. Boat trailer license fees incresed 200 +%
fishbreath Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bellingham,WA
I got a big shock when I renewed my tabs on the boat this year. Last year I had an old Almar sled that as I recall cost me about thirty bucks for the sticker. Now I've got a new Alumaweld Super Vee and got nailed for a hundred and thirty bucks! When I asked what that was all about they said it was based on the value of the boat, %$#^& !! So with the trailer and boat I'm paying a hundred and thirty bucks for having a boat. I guess it's still cheaper than hiring a guide for each trip!

#159409 - 09/11/02 02:15 AM Re: WA. Boat trailer license fees incresed 200 +%
Vic Offline
Spawner

Bentrod:

My point is simply that the leadership of this state is ineffective. Washington state has one of the highest gas taxes in the country, and up until I-695 had some of the highest vehicle excise taxes. Not to mention a couple Billion Dollar suprplus in the general fund. Did they (the predominently liberal state government) do anything with the money that was earmerked to improve roads to fix the traffic problems in this state. NO!!!! Has traffic continued to worsen? YES!!! Where did that money go??? I for one would like to know that If I am being asked to paying more in taxes (in the trailer liscense fee case we weren't asked at all they unilaterally decided that we would pay more) that I am getting something more for my money. To this point they just take and take and take... If you are happy being a sheep and being fleeced by Govenor Gridocke and his merry men everytime they get cold. Then by all means continue to vote for the same ineffective liberal sissy's that are currently running this state.

Would like to hear your perspective on this. Since you are asking me for advice on how you should vote I am betting that you are one of the underinformed/misguided do-gooders that keep electing these dorks and don't have one.

Hey Dan:

Where would I find the info about the Navy Stealth Fighter? Would love to read about it.

#159410 - 09/11/02 09:18 AM Re: WA. Boat trailer license fees incresed 200 +%
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: IDAHO
Not sure if this is something that would work in Washington state but we have something of a loop hole in Idaho for drift boat trailers. We simply call them utility trailers and can get a 10 year sticker for like 20 dollars. On larger boats, we also have an good program. You can pick the county your money goes to when you renew your sticker every year. That way, the money you pay goes to the county that you fish in most often, for ramp improvement etc. In many cases, the countys that see the most fishing days are rurel, with low tax base. This helps a lot. Instead of the money going to the state which is really just a black hole..

One more good deal... Drift boats don't need stickers etc. They are concidered white water craft just like a raft etc.

#159411 - 09/11/02 09:46 AM Re: WA. Boat trailer license fees incresed 200 +%
Skywalker Offline
Spawner

Loc: Snohomish, WA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Vic:
[QB]Bentrod:

If you are happy being a sheep and being fleeced by Govenor Gridocke and his merry men everytime they get cold. Then by all means continue to vote for the same ineffective liberal sissy's that are currently running this state.

QB]
Last I heard, Tim Eiman was not an elected official. If you guys would look back a ways, I think you'll find that this is a direct result. That initiative, whether you think it was wrong or right, took millions in revenues out of the state's pocket. They've simply found a way to get it back.

Frankly I find it ironic that someone with a 2k 4X4 with leather seats is complaining about a ding on his trailer tabs. I wonder how that annual licensing fee compares to his monthly payment?

#159412 - 09/11/02 10:22 AM Re: WA. Boat trailer license fees incresed 200 +%
DeKuma Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Covington, WA
Not that I want to get involved in a political debate with you all, but I am compelled to say my part too. (must be influenced by the dark side)

I cannot seem to gripe too much about the tab issue as it is now. I own a 2000 Explorer and my tabs would be about $200 give or take a year if not for the new laws. Even the increase is better than what we had!

As for the boat trailer, I have not licensed my 17' for a while since rebuilding, but my dad has a 24' with a King trailer. His tabs are not cheap, but it could be worse if they went of total value under the old sysytem........

We do have two new stadiums to pay for don't we?? I mean we did vote to build them didn't we?? rolleyes

#159413 - 09/11/02 11:42 AM Re: WA. Boat trailer license fees incresed 200 +%
Vic Offline
Spawner

Hi Skywalker:

When I-695 passed the State had a couple billion dolar surplus. 2 things bother me about that 1) they knew we had a traffic problem then and they had the money to do something about it and did nothing 2) That money belonged to the taxpayers. They had more than they were using, and continued to tax us exhorbinate amounts. Tax relief/tax reform is somthing that this state desperately needs. But our elected officials just don't get it. I for one applaud Tim Eiman's inniatives, If nothing else they send a message to Olympia that we are fed up with the way they are running things.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Dick laxton, Lil Blue Sled, Lil Red Sled, Solash, The Moderator, WeServe
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (steely slammer, 1 invisible), 1445 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645377 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |