Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#160003 - 09/16/02 04:12 PM Sky Silvers
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Bend, WA
Anyone think the silvers will be in the Sky by early next week? My dad will be flying in and I'd love to take him fishing for silvers on the Sky. I'm only familiar with the holes along Ben Howard rd. Will the fish be that high by next week?

(shamelsss plug warning)
Also, if anyone is interested in buying my flat transom Old Town Canoe with Trolling motor and accessories - check out my add on the classifieds page.

Thanks!

#160004 - 09/17/02 12:04 AM Re: Sky Silvers
Doubletake Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Duvall, Wa.
The fish are up to the confluence and up the Snoqualmie now, with the rain that is suppose to come I'd say yes. Good luck

Doubletake

#160005 - 09/17/02 12:11 AM Re: Sky Silvers
mudslinger Offline
Smolt

Loc: GOLD BAR,WA
i've been fishing the areas you mentioned, there is a lot of fish in now,they are jumping everywhere ,Bruce

#160006 - 09/17/02 12:28 AM Re: Sky Silvers
silver hilton Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Out there, somewhere
Hold on to your canoe for another week, and when your dad gets here, take him fishing in it from the ramp in downtown Snohomish. Three are fish there now, and it's only going to get better.

#160007 - 09/17/02 12:35 AM Re: Sky Silvers
Drocco Offline
Egg

Loc: Everett
I fish below 522 BRIDGE tonight , lots of silvers but couldnt get em to hit . tried dick nites in several colors & wiggle warts . Any more ideas?

#160008 - 09/17/02 01:06 AM Re: Sky Silvers
mudslinger Offline
Smolt

i did real good yesterday with a #3 vibrax spinner with orange body and brass blade no luck with it tonight i had one hit a chartuese with silver blade tonight i just rolled him though saw him flash and he was gone. lots of big fish jumping tonight,no other hits.check out my other post below under finally got some silvers,later Bruce

#160009 - 09/17/02 02:23 PM Re: Sky Silvers
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

Thanks for the info fellas.

Last year I had my best luck with solid brass #3 vibrax spinners. Orange bodies came in second. Kastmasters got me a few as well in the deeper water (they cast far and sink fast). Dick nite 50/50s where pretty much sold out when I tried to find them last year, but I'm loaded up this time to give them a try.

I also had some luck with the fly rod. Popcicle type flys worked best for me. Did OK with Jigs too.

2 pointers:
* slow retieves. Vary speed, but in general, keep the lure moving slow and ticking bottom now and then.
* The silvers often chased the lure\fly\jig all the way to my feet. Let it hang in the current a few seconds to see if you have any followers. Several time just before I was going to pull the lure from the water, a fish would dart out fromt he depths and nail it!

Good luck!

#160010 - 09/17/02 02:46 PM Re: Sky Silvers
Busy Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bellevue
I haven't fished this area before. I have a boat and if someone wants to play guide I would be willing to see if we can hook up for some of these silvers.

#160011 - 09/17/02 03:33 PM Re: Sky Silvers
jmutto Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Everett, Wa.
OK, time to show my begginer colors.

What are some of the typical rigs used when fishing Dick Nites and other lures for salmon in rivers. Are they fished behind typical drift rigs (pencil lead type), tied to the main line with some split shot added, or what else? I am stuck on the bank and haven't figured out the proper way to use these lures. Thanks in advanced for the help.

#160012 - 09/17/02 03:59 PM Re: Sky Silvers
Kevin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: seattle,wa
It would be a safe bet to fish those holes.

Tight lines

Kevin

#160013 - 09/17/02 07:01 PM Re: Sky Silvers
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

jmutto - i've had best luck using kind of a drift rig setup - slinky or pencil lead with about a 4 ft leader to the spinner or dick nite. Use just enough lead to tap the bottom 3 or 4 times per drift. You should expect to lose some terminal gear...

But it really depends on the type of water and where the fish are holding. Sometimes (probly most) they will be hugging the bottom near structure. But other times they will be suspended mid level.

If the fish are hunkered down and not moving upstream very fast, focus on the deeper holes and faster slots where it is easy for them to hide.

If they are moving (it pays to find a high place to watch from with polorized glasses). Then you can find a somewhat shallow, narrow spot that kind of funnells (sp) the fish. You can easily intercept them here as they shoot through in schools. The best place to be working is the spot just below the fast chute of water. The fish will be more aggressive here as they work up courage to shoot up through the shallow run. A small lure drifting into the mix of fish jockying for postion is sure to get chomped by a cranky silver... But sometimes the best spot is just above the shallow fast run where they once again fight over position. Basically, any time you have fish moving and then being forced to mingle in tight quarters - they tend to get more cranky.

If you don't have any luck keeping your lure close to the bottom, try a few other things:

* Try a very fast retrieve - sometimes this can trigger an aggressive strike
* Try a soft jigging type retreive (not snagger style where you are jerking the rod looking for contact) - works best with spoons and jigs, but spinners can be worked this way as well. Sometimes a free falling lure is what gets them...

As you can see, there is no 'best' way to fish for silvers in the rivers. Every day and every river and every hole can and usually does fish different. Try one thing for a little bit, then switch your lure or your presentation a little.

Don't forget to try some scents, and fresh eggs can be deadly as well. A little shrimp or prawn meat can help as long as it doesn't interfere with the action of the lure.

And if you don't see any fish rolling where you are at, move on! If fish are there, you will usually see them.

Good luck!

#160014 - 09/17/02 11:08 PM Re: Sky Silvers
mudslinger Offline
Smolt

well i just got back from the river and caught 2 more nice silver hens a 4 1/2 lber and a 7lber no lice on them tonight caught on the orange vibrax again i thought i would let you know. well the grill is ready so talk to you later also i saw more fish moving up tonight,later Bruce laugh i only fished from 4 until 6:30

#160015 - 09/18/02 11:50 AM Re: Sky Silvers
jmutto Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Everett, Wa.
PhishPhreak - Thanks for the info. I'll give all that a try. smile

#160016 - 09/18/02 12:04 PM Re: Sky Silvers
Old Man Offline
Spawner

Loc: Silver Star,Mt
Buzy,you are very tempting. I'm going to fish under the 522 bridge this day,but I will be flinging flies.

I don't think that I have any hardware left to do that type of fishing with.
I just like to fly fish. smile

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Chad Lee, fish_hunter, Grady 265, pimpinshrimp, Stew, xflyzguy
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1233 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645417 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |