Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#160728 - 09/24/02 10:24 PM Adding oil to egg brine
tippet2 Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Battleground, WA
Just starting to cure my own eggs and used the "worlds best" brine recipe which I found in the tips section of this board. Worked up the first two batches, haven't used any of these yet, but with the third would like add some shrimp or sardine oil. Recipe suggested experimenting, however I don't have a clue as to how much, or even which oil to try first.
Any suggestions?

#160729 - 09/24/02 10:55 PM Re: Adding oil to egg brine
Rodman Offline
Alevin

Loc: Spokane Wa. USA
I haven't used the "World's best" method yet, but it sure sounds good. I use Pro-Cure or Pro-Glow. When I add oil such as Mike's Shrimp oil, I find that the eggs are a little harder, they don't seem be as large as the original size, and they don't milk out as well. My favorite is a water soluble scent, or Bio safe scent, such as Smelly Jelly Sticky Liquid, or Berkley PowerBait liquid. With the Powerbait, the eggs seem to swell past the original egg size.

I think if I were to do "World's Best" method, I would apply the scent to the eggs after they leave the strainer, oil and water don't mix, let them soak in the scent for awhile, or apply the scent to the eggs when you reach your fishing water. Hope that might help, and have fun. Jon

#160730 - 09/24/02 11:46 PM Re: Adding oil to egg brine
trucker Offline
Alevin

Loc: Olympia,WA
I haven't tried any oil on my eggs before but I have heard "Maries shrimp oil" is very good added to eggs; you can purchase it online; just do a search for salmon eggs. Also try putting any red jello on your eggs I have had good luck with this method and my friend swears by this; just sprinkle it on and let sit over night and you;re ready to fish, I didn't put my eggs in borax either, the jello toughens them up and they stay on the hook very nicely.

#160731 - 09/25/02 12:09 PM Re: Adding oil to egg brine
superfly Offline
The Renegade White Man

Loc: The Coast or the Keys !!!
When Brining your eggs you want to put your additives int the brine so they will get in ,on and aronud all of the eggs, adding it to them while they are in the strainer is no different then adding them on the eggs while you are standing in the river. And if you intend on using shrimp your eggs will smell so nasty and stink up everything around them for days, be careful. I don't even use shrimp anymore.
Peace Superfly laugh laugh

360-888-7772

Stay Tuned for upcoming Hunts & Fishing info...........

New website & Channel Dropping soon !

Stay tuned for Turkey, Bear & Deer Hunts Along with Guided Sport Fishing.

Book Release Prior to Christmas 2021

#160732 - 09/25/02 12:24 PM Re: Adding oil to egg brine
B. Gray Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
I gave my egg brine a few squirts of Mikes herring oil and a dash of Flax Seed Oil just before it came to a boil and the oils seemed to dissolve into the mixture very well. I have no idea if it'll help. Haven't had a chance to try them out yet.

#160733 - 09/26/02 10:47 AM Re: Adding oil to egg brine
side slider Offline
Parr

add the oil at the fishing sight put some yarn on the hook and add the scent to the yarn. I also like to add a piece of sand shrimp directly to the hook. in the last two years eggs and shrimp have produced chinnok 2 to 1 over straight eggs in my boat, and I have seen boats around us get skunked while we had 20 take down on bobbers

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Dick laxton, Lil Blue Sled, Lil Red Sled, Solash, The Moderator, WeServe
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1259 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645375 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |