LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#160655 - 09/24/02 12:46 PM Hi, all. New member needing some advice.
Fisthead Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Portland, OR
I'm new to the board and new to salmon/steelhead fishing, although not new to fishing in general. I'm originally from Iowa but have lived in Portland, OR for the past 4 years. I've been fishing mainly warmwater fish for the past 17 or so years with the occasional trout excursion in there. In the past few weeks I've caught a decent chinook and three good steelhead, and as so many people before me, I can say now that I've got the bug...bad. I've been making the 45 minute drive to the Clackamas River every few days or so, forsaking family and friends for the lure of the fish. I, now, have come to realize that these beasts are much more elusive than what my initial catch led me to believe. Since I'm self employed and have a wife in school and a toddler running around, I'd like to streamline my time and fish more productively.

I thought I had found the 'spot', but I feel I may have just happened upon it at exactly the right time. I haven't caught anything other than some small rainbows in the last three visits. I'm not impatient and am not greedy; I know that I have a lot to learn and am working on it, which is why I'm here. I caught all of the fish by drifting #3-4 gold Vibrax spinners and retrieving slowly, but have lost literally $30 in these in the four visits I've made to this river. Since I don't wish to lose anymore, I've decided to try other less expensive techniques. I've experimented with drift fishing corkies w/yarn, which I've heard is a preferred technique (the day I caught the salmon I watched two guys pull out 16 steelhead in 3 hours doing this), but I'm not sure I'm doing it right. I think I've got them bopping along with the right amount of weight, but how far off the bottom should the corkies be floating? I know that steelhead hang close to the bottom so I've been running them 12"-24" from the weight. I've also read that it's very hard to detect bites when fishing in this way, so I'm keeping my hooks sharp, but I'd also appreciate any other tips I can get. Oh, I'm using a spinning reel and a relatively stiff rod for this.

I'm also wondering what the best times of day to fish for steelhead are. I assume, as with most other fish, you're going to have the best luck around dawn/dusk (which is when I've caught ALL of these fish). Do I want to fish with darker lures the brighter it is? Is it still too warm to be hooking many of these fish in the midday hours? What colors do they prefer from your experience?

Any other tips and techniques will, of course, also be welcome and appreciated smile

Thanks, and I look forward to contributing to the board!

#160656 - 09/24/02 01:02 PM Re: Hi, all. New member needing some advice.
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
Welcome Fisthead.

Click here

This is an Oregon-based board much like this one. Many members there fish the Clackamas river, and you might be able to get some more specific info.

Good luck smile

#160657 - 09/24/02 01:06 PM Re: Hi, all. New member needing some advice.
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Welcome here,I hope the zipperlip nazis don't object to you posting the name of a river with fish in it.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#160658 - 09/24/02 01:26 PM Re: Hi, all. New member needing some advice.
Fisthead Offline
Eyed Egg

Hey, I didn't say WHERE on the river I caught them wink It's very big and extremly common knowledge that it's a good fishing river. Like any other river, you have to know where and when to go, what to use, and how to fish it. I have gotten lucky a few times and know it's going to be a LONG time before I know even part of the river well. I'm not too worried that people are going to learn any secrets from that post.

Thanks for the replies!

#160659 - 09/24/02 05:19 PM Re: Hi, all. New member needing some advice.
posh II Offline
Returning Adult

Hi Fisthead.....welcome to this board and visit often. If you haven't fished OlyPen rivers, that is also a great experience. Just ask Bob and friends.
Be sure to visit all the links on this site to gather great information. Lots of help here.
I am also a great follower of ifish.net and
help save the hatcheries. smile

#160660 - 09/24/02 05:54 PM Re: Hi, all. New member needing some advice.
BigShark Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: PDX
Welcome Fisthead

I am also a PDX guy that reads and learns on this board. I fish the Clack, Lewis, Columbia, Willamette and Cowlitze more than the coastal rivers like the Trask etc. The nice thing about this BB is you don't have to search through thousands of words of banter to get what you are looking for. These guys on this board are pretty darn accurate and you don't have the pranksters who like to have fun posting the not so accurate reports or the guys who just want to argue about something. Hope you like it here as much as I do.

#160661 - 09/24/02 11:06 PM Re: Hi, all. New member needing some advice.
Fisthead Offline
Eyed Egg

Hey BigShark & posh II, thanks!
I need to get into some other rivers around here. I've hit the Nehalem and some of the other smaller rivers out to the west, but only the Clack to the east. I'm sticking with it though to hone my skills because it's the only river I've had any luck with for bigger fish.

As for fishing WA rivers...if an out of state fishing license is as expensive as it is in OR, I'll have to wait until I understand steelhead and salmon a little better before making the investment.

#160662 - 09/25/02 04:10 PM Re: Hi, all. New member needing some advice.
smoky Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Lake Oswego, Oregon
Fisthead:

I live outside Portland and have been fishing the Clack for the past couple weeks.

Im thinking you have been fishing up at the Rivermill Dam or Dog Creek?

Anyway, you'll find good guys on both boards.

I can direct you to the Coho on the Clack where all you need are corkies and yarn. Its not real hot, but Ive been getting at least one decent fish per trip.

Where do you live in Portland? I usually have an open seat on my drift boat. Ill start hitiin it hard in October through March.

#160663 - 09/25/02 05:47 PM Re: Hi, all. New member needing some advice.
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Welcome, Fisthead!

With a few exceptions for terminal fisheries, a "good" spot is defined by many factors, such as the bottom topography, water flow and clarity, water and air temperature, time of day and year, and plain ol' luck.

Some of those don't change much, some change in minutes or hours.

Sounds like your first trip the stars aligned for you...and haven't since.

The most satisfying thing about steelhead fishing is not figuring out the secret lure, secret fly, secret color, or secret egg cure (though they do affect your success). The most satisfying thing is learning why different conditions require different techniques, different areas of the river, and different times of day/month/year to hit a spot.

You can learn about baits, lures, and gear pretty simply. The rest requires either a very giving mentor and your undivided attention to what he/she is telling you, or just plain experience.

Most likely, it will require both.

It may seem difficult now, but if you stick with it and figure it out, you will appreciate every hookup you get all the more when you remember the time you put in learning all you needed to know to get that hookup.

I think it's like learning the value of money. It doesn't mean as much when it's given to you as it does when you work hard and earn it yourself.

I'd highly recommend, however, using this and other BB's, and fishermen you meet in the field, to "borrow" a few bucks from to start your "business" of learning to catch steelhead.

Who knows? If all goes well you may be able to teach them a thing or two in the future!!

Good luck, and...

Fish on!

Todd.

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#160664 - 09/25/02 06:17 PM Re: Hi, all. New member needing some advice.
Fisthead Offline
Eyed Egg

This is a quite a board. I expected those in the fishing community to be a lot more civil than most on BBs and am not disappointed!

Smoky, I'm up in North Portland in the Mock Crest area if you know where that is. I'll kick you an email about where I've been, etc. I've been fishing the banks exclusively so far and would love to get in a drift boat before the end of the year.

Todd, thanks for the info. I'm getting out as often as I can and learning a lot just from doing (even if it means losing $30 in spinners to do it). Something occurred to me that I've been meaning to ask; how do you determine the depth of the body of water you are fishing, especially if it's the opposite side of a quick moving river?

Thanks, all.

#160665 - 09/26/02 02:05 PM Re: Hi, all. New member needing some advice.
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Fisthead,

It sounds like you're figuring out the depth the only good way, which is by trial and error. Unfortunately the trial involves hitting the bottom with your lure, and it's snaggy enough that it involves losing your spinners.

Try using some drift gear, perhaps with a slinky, and you'll get a better feel for the depth of where you're fishing without losing so much stuff.

Other than that, there's not really any other way to determine the depth, unless you can either see the bottom or can see the area during extremely low flows and remember what it looked like when the water returns.

Here's a trick I used on a few small streams when I was learning them back in high school. I'd float stretches of the streams in an inner tube in August, using a Polaroid camera to take pictures of deeper slots, big rocks, and permanent looking logs. Mark on the pictures where they came from. In the winter/fall go back and look at the area. You'll be surprised at how different it looks with water over it.

At least you'll know the relative depth of those spots and the breaks in structure that attract holding fish, and the runs that attract moving fish. Invaluable information.

Fish on...

Todd.

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Chad Lee, fish_hunter, Grady 265, pimpinshrimp, Stew, xflyzguy
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1233 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645417 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |