Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#162053 - 10/11/02 12:20 AM Bill Davis Passes Away
Sparkey Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Western Washington
Just read in todays Everett Herald, that beloved radio host and fisherman, Bill Davis, passed away last month.

Back when Bill was on Kiro, I always looked forward to sunday evening and his radio show.

He will be missed.

Here is the article, as published in today's Everett Herald.

"One of the Pacific Northwest's most widely recognized outdoor communicators, Bill Davis, died early last month from complications following surgery for diabetes. Best known for his 20-year long Sunday evening radio show on KIRO radio, "Outdoor Line," Davis also was a talented illustrator, musician and writer, and an accomplished chef. He was a fixture as a speaker and instructor for years at outdoor shows, expositions and seminars around Puget Sound, and wrote fishing and hunting articles for many outdoor publications.

Bill and I went on many a fishing expedition together over the years, singing and playing guitar as the black, early-morning miles rolled by beneath the pickup, and the outdoor community hereabouts will be the poorer for his passing.

At his request, his ashes were scattered on his beloved Skykomish River. "

#162054 - 10/11/02 12:36 AM Re: Bill Davis Passes Away
AkKings Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kelso Wa.
Hell of a nice guy, talked to him numerous times at Sportsman's expo's and ran into him on the Sky once. I was also a big fan of his talk show, I always listened Sunday evening's on the drive home from the Cow or Kalama.
Hope he passed peacefully. frown

#162055 - 10/11/02 12:38 AM Re: Bill Davis Passes Away
Cigar Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Shoreline, Wa.
frown frown frown frown frown frown frown frown frown frown frown frown frown frown frown frown

Cigar

#162056 - 10/11/02 01:25 AM Re: Bill Davis Passes Away
Capt. Steelhead Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Port Orchard,WA
Next time I hook a fish instead of fish-on or there he his which is what I usually say I'm going to yell THANKS BILL for he taught me alot over the years. smile

#162057 - 10/11/02 01:41 AM Re: Bill Davis Passes Away
JimB Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Chehalis
Sad to hear. One of my favorite memories is spending an hour of live radio with Bill. He made me feel so comfortable, then as he would see me start to relax he would say. "Remember what you say can't be taken back!" lol Throat would get dry again...he just sat there and smiled, playin me like a fiddle!

Will try to hook one for him tomorrow!

Jim

#162058 - 10/11/02 02:57 PM Re: Bill Davis Passes Away
GutZ Offline
The Original Boat Ho

Loc: Bellevue
frown
Bill will truely be missed. I know his Son in Law. Loved that show!

RIP Bill

#162059 - 10/11/02 04:06 PM Re: Bill Davis Passes Away
baddawg Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett WA
Bill showed me how to tie a hook with an eggloop when I first came to the area to go to school. That was many years ago and the joy and frustration of that lesson will last a life time. Thanks Bill.

#162060 - 10/11/02 06:32 PM Re: Bill Davis Passes Away
Bobber Down Offline
Spawner

Loc: Lake Forest Dark, Wa
If you were a kid who loved to fish the rivers and bays of Puget Sound in the 70's and 80's you never missed Bill's show on KIRO Sunday nights! He will be missed by all. frown

BD

"It makes no sense to regulate salmon habitat on land while allowing thousands of yards of gill nets to be stretched across salmon habitat in the water"

John Carlson, Gubernatorial Contender, Sept. 2000 speech at the Ballard Locks

#162061 - 10/12/02 02:41 PM Re: Bill Davis Passes Away
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
I too recall the days of Bill's show.

During my years at UW, I was working as the evening / night manager of the Thriftway store on Mercer Island ... I always used to do the daily deposits while listening to his show and it got me pretty revved up to hit the 2AM Bainbridge ferry and head out to the OP. Perhaps he was partially responsible for all the Monday classes that I missed laugh

Sure wish we had another like it ... it was down-to-earth with little of the F&H News style hype that I heard on shows thereafter.

We'll miss you Bill ... they're all big ones now smile

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#162062 - 10/12/02 09:22 PM Re: Bill Davis Passes Away
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
I was a friend of Bill's. I fished with him on the Raging, The Sky, in the San Juans for bottomfish and at Vernita for chinook, and in Canada for steelhead. Bill truly loved to fish and he was a real down to earth guy. I know he would have really gotten a kick out of all your kind comments.

And I agree that his Outdoor Line on KIRO was top notch. Sure one hell of a lot better that the stuff on now days.

There will be another memorial piece in the next Salmon Trout Steelheader. I hope they are all keepers where you are now Bill!

#162063 - 10/13/02 06:40 PM Re: Bill Davis Passes Away
grandpa Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: brier,wa
rolleyes I think Bill Davis is sitting in a special part of heaven right now showing someone how to paint a diving plug black or showing a kid how to fish for steelhead with eggs..My daughter and I went down the Sky with Bill and he tried real hard to get her interested in fishing for steelhead in the freezing cold weather...I think Bill always thought I was jinxed on his boat for Steelhead. He was a ne of a kind good guy and I am sad he's not on the river anymore..atleast down here on earth. Thanks for the memories Bill smile

....Support the RFA rfawashingtonst.org

#162064 - 10/16/02 12:38 PM Re: Bill Davis Passes Away
GutZ Offline
The Original Boat Ho

Loc: Bellevue
MESSAGE FROM BILL DAVIS' SON IN LAW

Bill Davis, avid sportsman, fisherman, instructor, sports writer and radio talk show host and so much more that can be listed, has passed from this life and can now enjoy the rivers and water ways that we can only dream of.

Bill had a six bypass surgery in 1997 and it was at this time that his KIRO "Outdoorline" radio show had ended.

Bill had been struggling with heart and respiratory problems as well as Diabetes. Bill had been taking Insulin for several years and due to complications with the Diabetes, had developed an ulcer in his left foot. Just prior to the beginning of September 2002, he was admitted to Monroe Valley General Hospital for a foot amputation and was a candidate for a prosthesis. The surgery went well and Bill had been in recovery for several days and comprehended when he was visited by his loved ones, even though heavily sedated due to pain medication.

On September 4, 2002 at approximately 5pm, Bill went into respiratory arrest and his heart stopped beating, even in light of a heart difibulator which had been inserted in his chest several years ago to help send an electrical current to his heart in case of a situation such as this. The device worked and yet could not bring him back. The doctors at Monroe Valley General worked with him for quite sometime to bring him back, yet were unable. I must add that the medical staff at Valley General were all wonderful, excellent professionals that cared for Bill deeply.

Bill Davis will be missed greatly but will live on in each of our hearts.

If anyone has condolences, questions or concerns for Bill's surviving son; Jeffrey Craig Davis and daughter (my wife) Kimberlee Christine Linke, you can contact via email; meribah@www.com

Could all that read this post please get this message out (copy, etc.) to other posts at Steelheader.net as well as any other internet sites and by word of mouth to others! There are so many people that knew Bill, that it has been extremely difficult to contact all. We have also been desperately attempting to get hold of Ron Rogers, Terry Rudnick and Drew Harthorn. If you know how to get in touch with them, please contact me.

Thank you and God bless,

David John Linke
meribah@www.com

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Swifty27
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Carcassman), 1160 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645406 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |