Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#163063 - 10/23/02 03:14 PM Quillayute River Fish-In 3PM Thursday
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
Okay ... 3 PM Thursday everyone at Leyendecker County Park.

Easy to find, off of 101 just north of the town of Forks, head west on the La Push Rd., go to Three Rivers Resort (right hand side) and take a right on the Mora Rd., the entrance to the park will be on the left side a few hundred yards down. We may migrate from there to wherever nets are in the water wink

Bring a boat if you like, there's also lots of bank spots, I'll probably load as many people as I can into my big boat.

Bring a rod and fish away! Be smart, barbless single hooks should one of the fish decide to bite smile

Signs would be a plus ... please keep them tasteful. Remember that simply turing this into a bash session will do no good at all, this issue is about the current welfare of the fish and giving them a break so that we get enough into the system to keep the run going down the road!

I've been fielding some calls and it looks like the AP wants to pick up on this as well as some of the suburbian Seattle papers, so far it appears that the larger papers there are afraid to touch this "hot potato", but so be it.

I may not have time to get big sign together, so if someone would like to make a big one up for my boat that would be really cool smile Maybe something simple like "Give the fish a break! Pull the nets!" or whatever ... maybe some of the creative minded-type (by brain is prettyt much mush right now from playing poltics non-stop for the last 72 hours ... we have Alaska fisheries meetings going right now as well ... that's where secretary Fishgal has an iron in the fire) could help with some slogans that we might use smile

Any questions, feel free to post here or give me a call at 360-374-2091.

See you there!

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#163064 - 10/23/02 03:31 PM Re: Quillayute River Fish-In 3PM Thursday
PiperFLA Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Bremerton WA, USA
It would make a good statement for the welfare of the fish if you fished without any hooks whatsoever...

May even make it hard to write tickets... any thoughts???

#163065 - 10/23/02 03:44 PM Re: Quillayute River Fish-In 3PM Thursday
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
A good call ... just talked with Mike Gilchrist about it on the phone ... let's go that route!!!

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#163066 - 10/23/02 03:46 PM Re: Quillayute River Fish-In 3PM Thursday
GutZ Offline
The Original Boat Ho

Loc: Bellevue
Good Luck to All Who Participate.
Civil Disobedience at its finest!
Pull The Nets!

#163067 - 10/23/02 04:11 PM Re: Quillayute River Fish-In 3PM Thursday
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: U.S. Army
Bob, et al;

I applaud your efforts to show the public what is really going on out there. However, don't forget the average "nonfishing joe" won't see the difference between the Indian's nets and the protester's hooks. All they'll see is that you're jealous the Indians can fish and you can't. Pickled Herring makes a good suggestion about not using hooks at all. If the protesters are holding signs stating, "Give the fish a chance," while holding a rod trying to hook a fish, the public won't understand. Sure we as sportsmen understand, but the general public won't. And what we really need is public support.

I agree with what LittleZoZo said in another thread about a certain degree of civil disobediance. Instead of "fishing" I think perhaps you should all be on a nice boating trip and "accidently" get a few nets caught on the skeg of your boat. After removing the offensive net and finding a few unfortunate fish entangled, those fish could be donated to a local charity.

In another thread concerning the Indians raping the land, fromcuthroattosteelies relayed a story about his 5th grade students believing Indians to be more respectful of the natural resources than the "whiteman." To be engrained with such beliefs at that age is surely the result of Hollywood. I believe kids are taught this in movies, cartoons, comics, etc. Of course we that hunt and fish in the Pacific Northwest know the real deal. However, again the general public does not.

Educating the public is key. I haven't a clue how to do that, though. There's people out there a lot smarter than me to figure that stuff out. But the public really needs to see what the Indians are doing to our resources and get out of that "because they were here first they must know what's best" attitude. Somehow it needs to become a key political issue.

#163068 - 10/23/02 04:20 PM Re: Quillayute River Fish-In 3PM Thursday
BERKLEY BOY75 Offline
Spawner

Loc: AUBURN
if it was on saturday bob, i would definately be there, im not rich like the rest of ya and got to work, anyways, how bout a fishin on a saturday, keep this thing going, , im up for it, anyways...thanks for the hard work bob..i wish i could do my part and be there...

#163069 - 10/23/02 04:57 PM Re: Quillayute River Fish-In 3PM Thursday
K B Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Woodinville WA
How about taking this protest to the state capitol on Friday?

#163070 - 10/23/02 07:25 PM Re: Quillayute River Fish-In 3PM Thursday
Coho Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Muk
Use two landing nets to row your driftboat.

#163071 - 10/23/02 07:27 PM Re: Quillayute River Fish-In 3PM Thursday
havnfun Offline
Spawner

Loc: tacomca,wa,pierce
proud to be on this board,and know some of u folks best of luck to all of u on thrusday hope it gets the message across to those that need to see it...have u invited patty murray or that other mom in tennis shoe?

#163072 - 10/23/02 09:02 PM Re: Quillayute River Fish-In 3PM Thursday
Sparkey Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Western Washington
Give 'em Hell, Bob!!!! smile

Looking forward to seeing your mug on the tv screen!! wink

Wish I could make it over to particapte... frown

#163073 - 10/23/02 11:12 PM Re: Quillayute River Fish-In 3PM Thursday
CedarR Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Olympia, WA
Thanks Bob, and thanks to the others who are working hard behind the scenes to make this demonstration successful. Just getting one major metropolitan paper to report the problem was a remarkable accomplishment. Anyone of us can call our local paper now, and ask them why we have to purchase another paper to get this information. Bob Mottram and the Tacoma Tribune could probably use some "pats on the back" for their decision to run the story. I hope the events occurring in Tacoma tonight, don't completely overshadow your efforts. Good luck, and may cool heads prevail.

#163074 - 10/23/02 11:26 PM Re: Quillayute River Fish-In 3PM Thursday
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
Man, Bob, I would so much love to be there to hand out some whoopin'. Gotta do the work thing though.

Give'em hell for me!

I really like the hookless fishing idea. What a sight that would be. cool

#163075 - 10/23/02 11:36 PM Re: Quillayute River Fish-In 3PM Thursday
grandpa Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: brier,wa
Bob

Thanks for standing up for the fish. It is right on target to remind everyone that confrontational protests can lead to sports fishermen looking like the bad greedy guys just pissing and moaning about their inadequate "share" of the fish available for harvest. During the net ban initiative drive I heard over and over again that sports folks refused to get on the bandwagon to ban the nets because it wouldn't apply to the tribes. That was a correct assumption but not a good reason to take a step forward for the resource by stopping the biggest mass killer of wild fish we know of. The other thing that killed the initiative was the commercial harvester's tactic to make us look greedy and only interested in gaining a bigger share of the harvest. Now we have a chance to show the world just how arrogant the tribes are and just how concerned for the resource we all are. I know one thing for sure. If you fish in the river you will be subject to arrest while the gill net full of dead fish will still be fishing legally.

So good for you Bob and all the people who can participate in a peaceful, legal protest .

....Support the RFA rfawashingtonst.org

#163076 - 10/24/02 01:13 AM Re: Quillayute River Fish-In 3PM Thursday
lugnutt06 Offline
Parr

Loc: Olympia
Good work-- it would be amusing to see someone dress up in a salmon costum and wrap themselves up in a gill net.

#163077 - 10/24/02 01:15 AM Re: Quillayute River Fish-In 3PM Thursday
lugnutt06 Offline
Parr

Loc: Olympia
Good work-- it would be amusing to see someone dress up in a salmon costum and wrap themselves up in a gill net.

#163078 - 10/24/02 12:15 PM Re: Quillayute River Fish-In 3PM Thursday
Slab Quest Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Mukilteo or Westport
The best news coverage occurs when the number of people arrested exceeds the local jail capacity.

God bless the protestors on their divine mission!

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (20 Gage, steely slammer), 1505 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |