Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#163631 - 10/30/02 02:42 AM trout ABOVE snoqualmie falls
fin addict Offline
Alevin

Loc: redmond
My buddy and I are thinking about taking our sons out trout fishing this weekend and would like to fish the river above Snoqualmie Falls, and are wondering if there is a decent trout fishery there to be had? If not, is there a lake or two close to the town of Snoqualmie where there might be trout (biting) this time of year. Any info as to timing, tactics, etc. is appreciated.

Thanks.

#163632 - 10/30/02 10:34 AM Re: trout ABOVE snoqualmie falls
wabowhunter Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Burien, Wa
Hey Fin ...

Anytime you can get a kid out to the water is a great idea...

You must be talking about the Middle Fork... because I think the the North and South Fork closes behind the Falls after tomorrow...

Can't speak to a lake ... maybe someone else can speak to that...

Tight Lines

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Thoreau

South King County - PSA
Save Our Fish - PSA
CCA Sea-Tac

#163633 - 10/30/02 10:49 AM Re: trout ABOVE snoqualmie falls
silver hilton Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Out there, somewhere
Check the regs before you go. The middle and north fork both have decent populations of small cutthroat. Middle fork is selective gear rules, I don't know about the north fork. Most of the lakes up there close on the 31st of OCtober, I believe.

It's getting a bit late for easy fishing up there. For kid fishing, I'd try trolling for cutthroats, or perch fishing, in Lake Washington or Sammamish.

#163634 - 10/30/02 10:56 AM Re: trout ABOVE snoqualmie falls
fin addict Offline
Alevin

I have to admit I need to get educated on which fork is open or not, etc., before I venture out (thus the post). I plan to head out that way today with my fly rod and chat with a few sport shops on the way. I am a salmon/steelhead guy, and do not focus much on the state trout fishery. I am really looking for a way to get a small group of people on a decent accesssible fishery East of Issaquah that would be entertaining for a 7 and 11 yr. old. I know it would be cold in the early am for them, but if I could locate a fishery that was not time of day sensitive I am thinking I could walk them in - in the afternoon. I suppose I could introduce them to some of the more common chum fisheries that are happening right now, but that might be a bit much. Thanks for the help.... Jon

#163635 - 10/30/02 11:29 AM Re: trout ABOVE snoqualmie falls
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Bend, WA
I live in North Bend and fish the forks a lot. I can honestly say that trout fishing is over until next summer. Some still manage to find a few fish and whitefish can be abundant if you find the right spot, but I would think you'd have much better luck else where. All forks are selective gear rules (no bait, single barbless hooks) and the MF is year round catch and release. From June 1 to 10/31, I think the other forks allow you to keep a fish or two over 10" (check regs) but I think you should let all fish go in these forks... I think they remain open year round for C&R - but check first.

Rattlesnake lake closes at the end of this month, but is a good place to take kids - plenty of bank access as long as the lake isn't at it's highest level (it varies quite a bit). Again, no bait, single barbless hooks.

The yakima river is supposed to continue to fish well from about noon to dark. You can find access from just over the pass all the way to the canyon area in E Burg. (and again, no bait...)

I agree with the call for trying out sammamish if you have a boat. Big cutthroat should be on the hunt close to the surface...(and you CAN use bait).

Good luck!

#163636 - 10/30/02 11:36 AM Re: trout ABOVE snoqualmie falls
fin addict Offline
Alevin

You guys are alright! I have a 20' Tiderunner so I will give L. Sammamish a shot (for Cutthroat). The beauty of that is that I live in Redmond so that is an easy get. I was walking the Sammamish River the other day and noticed a ton of 14"-16" fish (what I assume were Cutthroat) surfacing, taking bugs off the water, beneath them were migrating silvers. Quite a site. I have trolled for Cuttrhoat before on that lake with little success. Do you have any tips on location and tackle? This might be the best solution for this scenario, keeps people dry and relatively entertaiined and keeps my boat out of the salt, for now. Jon

#163637 - 10/30/02 11:58 AM Re: trout ABOVE snoqualmie falls
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

Lake Samm has some hard core regulars that can set you straight - hopefully they'll chime in.

I know a lot of guys go with small dick nites and other little spoons in various colors.

Also the wedding ring and night crawler setup works on those cutties too.

And small plugs can be fun. When trolled near the shore you never know if you'll find a perch, small mouth, trout, and this time of year a salmon is even possible.

I know everyone has their fav spots on this lake, but most of they guys I see out there head off to the right from the state park launch and either fish the shoreline in 20 to 30ft of water, or cruise right out in the middle. I usually do a circle starting at the launch and heading right, fishing 15 to 30 ft of water with small rapalas or other plugs. Then after rounding the big point, I start working out to the middle and loop back in the deeper water straight back to the creek outlet at the state park. Once I get close to the outlet (watch out for shallow water that will sneak up very quickly), I work the shoreline back to the launch. Depeding on time and where I got the most action, I decide what to do from there....

This time of year you should do fine fishing your lures close to the surface - no more than 20 ft deep....

#163638 - 10/30/02 02:25 PM Re: trout ABOVE snoqualmie falls
fin addict Offline
Alevin

Thanks for the pointers, really helps. I ran down there this am and saw a couple of boats. I assume you are pulling the wedding ring behind some light pop gear? I suppose simple eggs/worms and bobber fishing would work as well in the lake since there are trout/bass, etc. there.

#163639 - 10/30/02 03:27 PM Re: trout ABOVE snoqualmie falls
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

Well, it is a pretty big lake and you tend to have to work pretty hard to round up some fish. If you know the lake well, you may be able to get away with this, but I'd keep trolling. If you have a finder it would help locate fish. Then maybe you could anchor up and give it a shot. You may be able to find a shool of perch and the kids would have fun catching a bunch of those.

#163640 - 10/30/02 06:55 PM Re: trout ABOVE snoqualmie falls
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
Juanita Bay in Lake Washington is stuffed with perch. The kids can catch all they want.

They tend to move deepr as winter approaches. last time I was out they were in 35-45 feet of water.

#163641 - 10/30/02 07:00 PM Re: trout ABOVE snoqualmie falls
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
Juanita Bay in Lake Washington is stuffed with perch. The kids can catch all they want.

They tend to move deepr as winter approaches. last time I was out they were in 35-45 feet of water.

#163642 - 10/30/02 10:53 PM Re: trout ABOVE snoqualmie falls
spawnout Offline
Spawner

Loc: Satsop
Not sure if they do this up your way, but down here in Grays Harbor they load the lakes up with surplus adult hatchery coho this time of year. Elma Ponds, 30 miles towards Aberdeen from Olympia on the left, has a kids and oldsters only fishing pond that is loaded with these. The local kids have a blast with 'em - just have them pitch a pink vibrax - no snags and lotsa room to play 'em laugh

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Al Gore, czer, Robb92, wallyw
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1155 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645406 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |