LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#164789 - 11/10/02 04:04 PM BRINE HELP!!!
fromcuthroattosteelies Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: olympia
I've tinkered with making the "perfect" smoked salmon, but my results are always less than perfect. I like mine to be salty and moist. I tried a dry brine with brown sugar and rock salt. I let it sit overnight and air dry for about 5 hours before smoking it. The final product looked perfect but the taste was horrible. Kind of a sugary/fishy taste. I couldn't even taste the salt. I need a dry brine that will work this time. I also need to know how long to let it sit out before putting it on the smoker. I'm using a big chief so I'd also like to know time frame. I'll be smoking some summer steelhead and some fall king.
Thanks,
Frustrated fisherman beathead

#164790 - 11/10/02 04:11 PM Re: BRINE HELP!!!
Jett'in Fool Offline
Parr

Loc: Vancouver
Check here>> http://www.ifish.net/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=013265

#164791 - 11/10/02 07:12 PM Re: BRINE HELP!!!
Finegrain Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Woodinville, WA, USA
I stick with pure sugar, pure salt (no iodine), and some allspice. So far, I'm batting 1000 in converting non-fish eaters (except vegetarians). When they taste the smoked stuff, they are "hooked." I know others have more sophisticated recipes, but so far mine gives the desired result laugh .

As you probably already know, make sure you bleed and ice your fish immediately after catching. This seems to make a big difference in the taste, regardless of cooking style.

Regards.

Mike
Woodinville

Finegrain
Woodinville

#164792 - 11/10/02 08:03 PM Re: BRINE HELP!!!
Fishstik Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: S.W. Washinton
cutthroat, finegrain is right, take care of the fish right away, bleed it and keep it cool. as far as the smoking fish goes and the perfect recipe, well just forget it and keep trying and have fun trying. there are to many varaibles, and with a big cheif its harder yet. alot depends on the fish itself, a summer run is alot differet than a silver and will both take brine and smoke differently, ive been doing this for awhile now and will not claim to do the best smoked fish i simply try to do it consistantly, which is hard, ive been doing some research on hygrometers and this is important i plan on getting one on my smoker, this would help you with the moist fish you like, if you want i could give you some info on a brine i think you might want to try.. beer

#164793 - 11/10/02 10:43 PM Re: BRINE HELP!!!
philpac33 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: offut lake/lacey
i keep it real simple..2 parts sugar, 1 part salt, a little garlic salt, 8 cups cold water, soak 24 hrs, take out of brine, rinse fish, set on racks, let it sit for an hour before you plug in the smoker, let it smoke, i prefer two batches of chips right off the bat,when it's at desired texture pull it out...my secret (shhhh) mix honey and yoshida's hawaiian sweet and sour in a bowl, brush it on the fish, put in fridge to cool, vacuum seal, enjoy...smoked fish can make you very popular smile

#164794 - 11/10/02 11:47 PM Re: BRINE HELP!!!
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

Try smoking steelhead without any brine at all. It's pretty good out of my smoker. I use a brinkman.

#164795 - 11/11/02 01:02 AM Re: BRINE HELP!!!
philpac33 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: offut lake/lacey
i plan on getting a couple tomorrow...i'll try one with no brine and one with

#164796 - 11/11/02 03:20 PM Re: BRINE HELP!!!
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
1 pound of dark brown sugar.
1/2 cup of kosher salt.
Blend well then layer fish with brine,cover all of fish with 1/4 inch then repeat until done.
Let stand for 12hrs,then rotate fish blend well for another 12 hrs.Don't rinse put in smoker use cherry chips smoke till desired texture.Pretty simple.If there is not enough salt to this then add salt to desired taste next time.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

#164797 - 11/11/02 03:33 PM Re: BRINE HELP!!!
PiperFLA Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Bremerton WA, USA
Everyone does it different, everyone thinks theres is the best. keep working on your recipe till you like and thats all that matters. wink

This one is mine its the best!
Important: Take your fillet and slice it into 1" squares... dont cut all the way thru the skin. when you brine, open up where you slice to get brine inside. 12-24 hours in brine. I rinse mine before I smoke. If you like it a little salty dont rinse... I pat the fillets dry and put them on the smoker. I smoke mine 8-10 hours uncovered. I fill the chip tray 4-6 times.

dry brine:
1 cup Brown sugar
1/4 cup Kosher salt
1 tbs Onion salt or powder, Garlic Salt or powder. (whatever the wife has in the cupboard)
1 tbs Colemans Dry Mustard
1 tsp pepper

on the last tray of chips I thin a little honey and hot water and brush on the filets...

MMMMM

edit: (Strike Zone is right on with the kosher salt its not as fine as table salt but not as coarse as rocksalt)

#164798 - 11/11/02 04:51 PM Re: BRINE HELP!!!
GutZ Offline
The Original Boat Ho

Loc: Bellevue
Weren't Chums were they? wink

This IS the best ...

Grannies Smoked Fish Recipe
(Family Secret)

In a new 5 gallon bucket –
1 Gallon warm water
2 cups salt (I use morton’s Table salt)
2 Cups Brown Sugar
4 tablespoons garlic powder
8 tablespoons onion powder
2 ounce bottle of mapeline
1 ½ cups Karo Corn Syrup

Mix it all real good. Add trimmed filets. I like to cut fish to skin (not through) in 1 1 ½ inch strips. This is enough brine for a 5 rack Big Chief Smoker. Let soak 6 to 12 hours. Dry on paper towels for at least one hour. Brush with honey if you like. Pepper heavy with crushed or cracked black pepper. Preheat smoker 1 hour. Smoke fish 6 to 12 hours or until completely done. Smoking time varies depending on wind and weather.

GutZ

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Fish_Hunter14, George Montain, mochoman, RPetzold, Sparkey, steelheadfisher
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 221 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63785 Topics
645440 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |