LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#167009 - 11/27/02 01:33 AM What happened to these eggs??
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
I've seen a fish with eggs and milt, I've seen countless fish with those little white dots on the eggs. But I've never run across this before ...

Any of you armchair (Smalma, you there laugh ) bios have any insight on exactly what this is??

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#167010 - 11/27/02 08:46 AM Re: What happened to these eggs??
scottguides Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: elma
bob thats exactly what i have run into this year on grays harbors rivers.i have seen several like that,some even worse.one skein had exactly half with that on it.it appears to be dead eggs.i posted on another board about this and didn't come up with a reasonable answer.scott
http://www.scottguides.com

#167011 - 11/27/02 08:58 AM Re: What happened to these eggs??
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Toledo, Washington
Looks like a clear case of "egg pocks" to me! laugh laugh laugh

All kidding aside, I have also seen this several times on Cowlitz River caught fish (especially coho). I always thought that those white spots were "ruptured eggs". I don't know if you had noticed Bob, but on the ones that I have seen, those white spots are always on the outside of the eggs sacks and not found to be in the middle of the sack. It will be interesting to hear from one of our many bio members on what they think they are.

Cowlitzfisherman

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????

#167012 - 11/27/02 09:05 AM Re: What happened to these eggs??
bardo Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: union wa
those are albino fish

#167013 - 11/27/02 09:51 AM Re: What happened to these eggs??
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: brownsville wa.
I believe that those are water eggs or some such thing.I watched them spawn the trout brood stock at the hatch and they had a a machine that would essentially candle the eggs and seperate the water eggs from the good.

I am just guessing now but that is what I saw at the hatch last year.I believe that the later season is giving you guys fish that are alot farther along in the reproductive cycle than we are used to seeing.

#167015 - 11/27/02 12:00 PM Re: What happened to these eggs??
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
You let The Kid cure up your eggs again, huh?

eek laugh

#167016 - 11/27/02 12:19 PM Re: What happened to these eggs??
Coho Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Muk
Them there are Fraser Kings in the mix

#167017 - 11/27/02 12:39 PM Re: What happened to these eggs??
BillyBob Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Kapowsin, Wa
Don't you guys know anything about eggs?

Those are the egg whites!

#167018 - 11/27/02 12:58 PM Re: What happened to these eggs??
Chubbytyee Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Duvall, Wa.
Those are net trauma fish, ones that have been chased around by an outboard and hearded into a net.

#167019 - 11/27/02 01:04 PM Re: What happened to these eggs??
superfly Offline
The Renegade White Man

Loc: The Coast or the Keys !!!
Parker,
Your killing me !!!!!!
Yeah Bob if you Fish with The kid cured eggs you will get skunked, Just ask Parker.
It will be interesting to see what the Bio says.
Also Parker, bring your own stash when you go on weds..........
Good luck
Peace Superfly

360-888-7772

Stay Tuned for upcoming Hunts & Fishing info...........

New website & Channel Dropping soon !

Stay tuned for Turkey, Bear & Deer Hunts Along with Guided Sport Fishing.

Book Release Prior to Christmas 2021

#167020 - 11/27/02 03:36 PM Re: What happened to these eggs??
cohoangler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Vancouver, Washington
I'm a fish bio but not a fish phyisologist but I'll take a guess at it.

The small dots are probably parasite cysts. In time, they would probably hatch out into some species of fluke or worm. The parasite load on most salmondis is fairly high. This includes tape worms, nematodes, sea lice, etc. So finding parasites is normal.

The white eggs are infertile. Even if this fish lived long enough to spawn, the white eggs would not be viable. It's likely the high parasite load in the ovaries of this fish contributed to the high number of infertile eggs.

Since fish are cold blooded animals, these parasites are not usually capable of infecting humans. However, I make it a point to cook or smoke my fish before eating it. And I tend to avoid susi.

I have seen this condition in some coho, but not many. I've tried to cure eggs that were in this condition (even worse actually) but they didn't hold together. Hope this helps.

#167021 - 11/27/02 03:45 PM Re: What happened to these eggs??
hawk Offline
Spawner

Loc: austin, Minnesota, USA
Looks to me like cut and dried case of yeast infection. Shoot a little Vagasil in to the vent before bleeding the fish.

#167022 - 11/27/02 03:58 PM Re: What happened to these eggs??
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
It looks to me as if the smaller dots are underdeveloped eggs that never received any nourishment....and the white ones are not viable, just like the last post indicated.

Bob, do the small ones appear to be little runt eggs or are they foreign?

#167023 - 11/27/02 04:17 PM Re: What happened to these eggs??
ET Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma
Just a side-note to the sushi eaters out there. To be eaten safely as sushi, salmon meat must be frozen(below 0 F)for at least 24 hours before thawing and consuming. In general, this rule applies to fish that spend any part of their lives in freshwater.

#167024 - 11/27/02 06:41 PM Re: What happened to these eggs??
eggs Offline
Smolt

Loc: washington
I too have seen this...... soemtimes the white is caused by the eggs getting fresh tap water on them, but in this case i think your fish needs a trip to the clinic and a dose of penicillin

#167025 - 11/27/02 08:17 PM Re: What happened to these eggs??
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
I asked around, and my source at the NMFS gave me some good info.

From the photo it looks like there is a good deal of ovarian atresia (cell death). The small yellow oocytes are severely atretic eggs, where the atresia appears to have started a long time ago, while the larger white eggs are atretic eggs where the atresia started fairly recently. It is difficult
to discern the rest of the eggs from the photographs, but it looks like some are polarized, which can occur due to over ripening before ovulation.

The cause would appear to be relatively long term due to the apparent age of some of the atresia. Certainly some kind of stress, high temp, confinement, low oxygen, perhaps even inadequate energy reserves.

Bob, are you finding a lot of fish like this, and do you know if the river temperatures and oxygen levels are different this year than previous years?

You can see this sort of phenomena due to high water temperature.

#167026 - 11/27/02 08:38 PM Re: What happened to these eggs??
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
Bob -
I'm with Parker's source on this. Often see eggs that look somewhat like those in the pictures in summer steelhead this time of the year. Basically over the course of the summer/fall the fish has exhausted all its fat reserves and begins to re-absorb their eggs in a last ditch effort to stay alive. Those eggs look to be in the early stages of this process.

In hatchery summer brood stocks typically as much as 5% of the females will do this. On years with low flows/high water temperatures this per centage increases. What is interesting is that as the fish re-absorbs its eggs its maturation stops and the fish takes on chrome bright coloration. It looks like a new fish (though thin) that is immature. In advance stage of re-absorbtion all the eggs will turn whitish/yellowish with the eggs collapsing or shrinking.

The small white dots that one typically sees in a healthy skein of steelhead eggs are actually next year's eggs. Almost immediately after spawning the females ovaries shrink down to thumb size filled with pin-head to match-head size eggs. Another interesting fact is that the fish generally has more eggs the second time it spawns than the first time.

Once again the female will brighten quickly and sometimes folks confuse a spawned out fish with a new summer fish (lack of fat in the body cavity and pale flesh is a give away that it is a spawned out).

It is possible that coho might go through a similar process on years like this year where they may be forced to delay spawning for weeks. Not certain about that as I have little experience with looking at wild coho eggs near spawning - those coho that I have cleaned over the years have been limited to bright fish from marine or tide waters.

Tight lines
Smalma

#167027 - 11/27/02 09:15 PM Re: What happened to these eggs??
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
That's for the input ... I've never quite seen a batch like this before. Actually these came from a brat I caught on Monday (Thans Chef Pete for letting me have a turn!) ...

It looked like any new winter brat should ...

I was really curious if it was somehow related to the virus that had plauged many of the hatchery fish in this area years ago ... but it appears not so smile

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#167028 - 11/27/02 10:02 PM Re: What happened to these eggs??
Sparkey Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Western Washington
Bob-
That fish looks more like a chromer summer-run then a brat...notice the extended caudal peduncle (sp?).

I always relay on the peduncle as a give away as to whether a fish is a summer-run or winter-run...so it does sound like Smalma is right (again). laugh

#167029 - 11/29/02 12:30 AM Re: What happened to these eggs??
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Looks like a winter run hen to me....
Keith laugh beathead

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Swifty27
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (Krijack, steely slammer), 1493 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645403 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |