Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#167634 - 12/04/02 01:54 AM Tributaries
Colluvium Offline
Egg

Loc: Everett
To give you an idea how much of a rookie I am, my first thought upon logging onto this forum was "wtf is Dumbledor and the Jolly Green Giant holding onto there? Is that a sturgeon? Geez I hope it's dead".

Anyway, I took up steelheadin' about two weeks ago and have been up to the Lewis bridge and Rieter on the Sky the last two Sundays and I'm thinking dang this river looks big even now with the water supposedly running low and how am I gonna read the water like Mr. Herzog's son tells me I'm supposed to when it starts to rain?

So I'm wondering, do the tributaries to the classic NW steelhead rivers typically have steelhead in them? I'm not asking which tribs or when the fish are there, just if the tribs typically have fish. I'm thinking maybe I oughta start off on something a little smaller.

#167635 - 12/04/02 02:02 AM Re: Tributaries
silver hilton Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Out there, somewhere
Dude, don't worry too much about the tribs yet. Wait for rain, and then go to a major spot, either, Blue creek, Reiter or Tokul, and watch the guys there. Then, work down river and look for the crowds, and see what they are fishing. Look for the guys with fish on the bank, and watch where they are casting. Like, exactly where they are casting. To the foot. Look at what they are using. Get that stuff.

The crowds are where they are for a reason - there are fish there.

#167636 - 12/04/02 02:54 PM Re: Tributaries
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
I agree with Silver Hilton. Go where the crowds are a nd PAY ATTENTION!! Especially to the guys who are catching fish.

Also consider booking a trip with a guide who will teach you. Some will some wont. John Koenig is a good choice.

The answer to your questions is yes. Many of the tribs, such as Tokul Creek, The Tolt River, Pilchick, Sultan River, and many more hold steelhead. But the big numbers are in the big rivers they must pass through.

#167637 - 12/04/02 10:52 PM Re: Tributaries
Colluvium Offline
Egg

Loc: Everett
OK, thanks guys. If you see someone at Rieter with a paper and pencil but no pole, that will be me.

#167638 - 12/05/02 12:50 AM Re: Tributaries
silver hilton Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Out there, somewhere
C,

That would be a thoughtful strategy. I have often learned more when I was having a smoke on the bank, than when I was casting. I watch a lot, and learn a lot while doing it. After about 20 years, it pays off. But that's only because I'm a slow learner. wink

You talk about trying to read water. I see that you're a geologist. Think about steelhead as lava that run upstream. Like lava, sometimes they run quickly, sometimes they collect. There is always a reason they are in the path that they take. Think about funnels.

Think about rapids as gravity, but in reverse. Thinkabout how lava will puddle out after a fall. That's how fish act when they come through a bit of fast water. First they are concentrated, then they spread out. When fish move up through rapid water, the first thing they do when they clear the rapid is pause. Somewhere. Where? They get oxygen from moving water, so they like that. Where is it? Where is the first deeper spot, with moving water, after the rapid? Where is the first moving spot after a long spot of slack water?

When moving upstream, they tend to be within 20 feet of the bank. When holding, they tend to be over large (6 to 10 inch) cobble that disrupts current flow and gives them a disrupted flow to hang in. They don't feed much, so food presentation lanes don't matter. They want enough water overhead so that they feel safe, but 3 feet of water is usualy more than enough to do that. Obstructions such as rocks may or may not be necessary.

If you feel like a flu might come on during the week in the next month, PM me, and we might be able to work out a water reading lesson. I'll have to blindfold you and swear you to secrecy first, but you don't need that firstborn son anyway. You have to be ready to lift anchors and such.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cameron D., FlyingFish, NEfishLdo, shinnecock1
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 955 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645423 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |