LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#168407 - 12/11/02 05:48 PM About float fishing...
Steelieblue Offline
Parr

Loc: Seattle
Hello Again-

How does one set the depth on these floats (floats with a pink worm or a jig), a diagram link would be very useful if you know of one. Also, how does one know how deep to run it?

Thanks for the help in advance

Good Luck

Josh

#168408 - 12/11/02 06:02 PM Re: About float fishing...
steely slammer Offline
Three Time Spawner

what i've been told and i see it from the pros is just keep adjusting till you hit the right spot where you hook up... im just learnning this way to fish myself and i keep watching them adjust till they hit fish....

mainly region 6

#168409 - 12/11/02 06:07 PM Re: About float fishing...
jmutto Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Everett, Wa.
Bob has some info on this site.

Try this:

Bob\'s Float Fishing Info

#168410 - 12/11/02 06:37 PM Re: About float fishing...
Steelieblue Offline
Parr

thanks guys- that was extremely helpful, i too can do this now...i think!

Thanks again

Josh

#168411 - 12/11/02 07:01 PM Re: About float fishing...
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
Hey SB ... Glad the info helped. It helps to know your water and set the depth to within a foot of the bottom. By using the correct type of floats ... you can also "read" your depth by movement of the float as well.

Having them as part of your arsenal can pay BIG dividends ... I like to run them when things are very low and clear. Last week we hooked over forty fish in two days on floats alone ... most of those came in water than could not have been fished in any other manner.

Good luck!

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#168412 - 12/11/02 07:15 PM Re: About float fishing...
Steelieblue Offline
Parr

bob-

what did you mean when you mentioned that you hooked fish in water that couldn't be fished any other way?

Thanks

Josh

#168413 - 12/11/02 07:20 PM Re: About float fishing...
Steelieblue Offline
Parr

How does the nail not and plastic tubing thing work...i take it this is adjustable?

kind of an aside-I am trying to find a way that works well in many water conditions, looking to master one technique because frankly i am intimidated by all of the different ways to go about this. is this foolish or understandable?

#168414 - 12/11/02 07:25 PM Re: About float fishing...
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Deep, totally slack water that would not allow any sort of swing presentation at all.

You slide the plastic tube up your mainline and then grasp the knotted piece and then slide the plastic back off the mainline ... you then pull the ends of this stopper tight and you can slide it up and down your mainline whatever depth you like w/o having a huge long leader when fishing greater depths.

I understand your one method reasoning ... BUT, adaptation is the key to catching lots of fish all the time, not just part of it smile

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#168415 - 12/11/02 07:30 PM Re: About float fishing...
Steelieblue Offline
Parr

thanks a lot bob

i can see with your prompt replies and patience for new guys why i hear all of these great remarks about your style and your site. it is a really nice resource for us new guys. thanks a lot, take care, and good luck fishing. incidentally, i will be moving to alaska in the summer so i may try picking your brain some more later!

Josh

#168416 - 12/11/02 08:44 PM Re: About float fishing...
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Josh,

Float fishing isn't all as complicated as you might think. I'd say if you concentrate your efforts on just float fishing for a season, you can be pretty tuned in by the end.

Bob is right about a float allowing you to fish water you wouldn't otherwise get a good presentation in. When the water's low, the fish tend to hang out in big, deep holes and some of them don't have enough current to drift fish. If you use enough weight to get bottom, it will be too heavy to tick its way downstream. If you don't use a heavy lead, you can't get down to the bottom, even with a slow current. The float allows you to keep your offering moving slowly downstream in close proximity to the bottom.

I usually use a fixed float because most of the water I fish is 10 feet deep or less. If the water is much deeper than that, the sliding float may be a better choice because you can cast them further than a fixed float with 12 feet of line hanging underneath it. Either way is a compromise, because in my opinion a fixed float gives you a btter presentation in shallow water and a slider works better in deep water.

Most fixed floats use some sort of sleeve system. You slide the sleeves up your line, and then tie on a jig, or a swivel/hook/bait. Insert the body of the float into the sleeves, and then you can slide it up and down your line to adjust the depth.

Once you have your setup rigged, try to keep your offering within a foot or two of the bottom. Cast out, and keep "mending" your line upstream so it doesn't drag your float downstream. When you get too much line out to mend it, you can either open your bail on a spinning reel and dump out line so it doesn't drag your float downstream, or reel up and move downstream and cast again. I've caught dozens of fish with a ton of belly in the line when the float went down. Just MAKE SURE you reel until you've picked up all the slack BEFORE you make any hook set. Otherwise, you'll just jerk on slack line, which won't hook the fish, but it WILL alert the fish to what's going on.

Give it a try. It might feel awkward at first, but when you watch that float sink, and jerk back to feel a head shake and see that silver flash down there, you'll know what the buzz is all about. laugh

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#168417 - 12/11/02 09:16 PM Re: About float fishing...
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

You're welcome SB!

Don't tell anyone, this might be some sort of a secret! :p

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#168418 - 12/12/02 12:52 PM Re: About float fishing...
RRR Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: (Tacoma native),San Diego WA, ...
has anyone ever used the eagle claw bobber stops? I believe they're some sort of rubber-like mat'l and come on wires. Extremely easy to carry and to put on the line and they go thru the guides pretty well.

Happy holidaze

Sincerely,
Roger

VERY Homesick in San Diego

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Grandpa's Fishin Buddy
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Carcassman), 314 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645430 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |