THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#135418 - 01/16/02 12:00 AM Breathable waders=cold feet?
trailrat77 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: rowers seat
I bought some Hodgman breathables and some Hodgman boots to go with them. Under them I wore a pair of sweatpants and some polypro longjohns. For my feet I used some polypro socks and thermal socks. My legs were ok but after several hours in the river my feet were freezing. What are you guys wearing under your waders to keep warm. I have looked at the fleece pants and the fleece lined neoprene socks. Are these good investments or does everyones feet get cold standing still for long periods of time?

#135419 - 01/16/02 12:05 AM Re: Breathable waders=cold feet?
Old Man Offline
Spawner

Loc: Silver Star,Mt
It helps to move around. I just use a pair of wool socks. I've used them for so long now that they will stand by them selves. Back out of the water once in a while and get the blood to start flowing again. Jim S. laugh

#135420 - 01/16/02 12:07 AM Re: Breathable waders=cold feet?
RPetzold Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa
The biggest key is getting the right fitting boots which may equate to boots that are larger then normal.

I always had problems with cold feet (not the ones that a certain someone has wink ) untill I bought a new pair of boots this past Spring. I have a size 9 shoe and went with a size 11 boot. Combined with ExStream Smart Wool socks and I am ready to go.

This winter my feet have yet to get too cold...

And if that still doesnt help I have heard good things about the fleece lined neoprene socks.

[ 01-15-2002: Message edited by: RPetzold ]

#135421 - 01/16/02 12:13 AM Re: Breathable waders=cold feet?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Pair of Seal Skinz socks over your wool socks cures the frostbite wink .

Gooose laugh

#135422 - 01/16/02 12:19 AM Re: Breathable waders=cold feet?
rcl187 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Sedro-Woolley, Wa
I think you'd be pleasantly surprised with the results of fleece. I'd still wear the polypro underneith but all in all fleece is worth its weight in gold (or atleast fishing lead).
take off your pants and jacket

#135423 - 01/16/02 12:33 AM Re: Breathable waders=cold feet?
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: brownsville wa.
I use a a boot liner that we used up in the Bearing sea to keep our feet warm.They are fleece and can be gotten at seattle ship supply.
Other than that I think the consensus will fall on fleece!

#135424 - 01/16/02 01:27 AM Re: Breathable waders=cold feet?
papafsh Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Everett, WA.
I got my Hodgeman Breathables about two years ago and will never switch back to anything else. Keeping warm is not a problem with fleece shirt, pants, and socks. I really like the light weight warmth of fleece. I double up on top, fleece over fleece, and I wear a pair of heavy boot socks over the fleece ones, just to add the cushioning for long days on the river. Sparky's suggestion on getting your boots a size bigger works good but, there will be times when you just need to get out of the water for awhile.

Has anyone ever tried those battery powered electric heating socks?
cool

#135425 - 01/16/02 01:37 AM Re: Breathable waders=cold feet?
AkKings Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kelso Wa.
I really like my fleece socks, usually don't go winter fishing without them, except this morning. While loading gear in my truck I must have dropped them, got to the river and all I had was the pair of cotton socks I was wearing, my feet froze for the first couple hours until I got that shot of adrenaline that comes from fighting a 10-12 lbs. nate, best foot warmer money can't buy. Sure enough, socks were sitting in the driveway when I got home.

#135426 - 01/16/02 09:55 AM Re: Breathable waders=cold feet?
Les Johnson Offline
Parr

Loc: Seattle, Washington, King Coun...
Breathable waders are great. However, rather than go through all of the gyrations of building some sort of sock layering process that may, or may not do the job, next time purchase a pair of breathables with a good thermal boot foot. It is the answer for winter fishing.
I purchased a pair of Hodgman bootfoot breatable waders before my winter in Wyoming (2000) and they were not only great for spring fishing (think of routinely breaking anchor ice to reach open water)but have been great now that I am back home in Washington. I just wear a poly liner sock, a pair of comfortable wool socks and slide into the waders. No water is too cold to penetrate the Hodgman bootfoot.
As for what to wear under your breathable waders, any cross-country skier or mountaineer will tell you that cotton is the enemy in our cold, wet outdoor winters. It holds moisture and draws heat from your body. Instead, pull on a pair of lightweight poly underwear over your skin then add a pair of heavier fleece and you'll be warm and dry.

Les Johnson

#135427 - 01/16/02 10:21 AM Re: Breathable waders=cold feet?
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Gold Bar
I also use the fleece socks, buy one pair that fit my feet perfect. Then buy another pair to go over the top of the first pair. Two pairs of fleece socks will keep your toes warm. I get cold easily also recommend the fleece pants and shirts.

#135428 - 01/16/02 11:53 AM Re: Breathable waders=cold feet?
Doug Kelly Offline
Spawner

Loc: Bothell WA
go with the fleece, had the same problem feet use to freeze but not any more, cabela's

#135429 - 01/16/02 12:08 PM Re: Breathable waders=cold feet?
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Ak,

Bet the driveway was nice and toasty under those socks, huh? laugh laugh

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#135430 - 01/16/02 12:44 PM Re: Breathable waders=cold feet?
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Bend, WA
I agree with LJ. Get the built in neopreme foot section. I got the $99 cabela's breathables with neopreme booties and built in neopreme gravel guards and love them so far. Paired with a good pair of warm socks and my hodgeman felt soled wading boots (next time I want optional studs), I don't even think about cold feet. Plus they work great in the summer too.

#135431 - 01/16/02 12:45 PM Re: Breathable waders=cold feet?
Rooster Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Twin Bridges, Montana
Go to Seattle Ship Supply and pick up a pair of Red Ball "Bama Sockets".
I have wore them for ten years, working on decks of fishing boats, under my xtra tuffs, and also under my stocking foot waders.
Nothing can match them. I think they cost about 12 bucks and you will notice the difference. If your waders develop a leak or you go over the tops, these things absorb any moisture, or sweat and wick it away from your feet.
Just buy your wading boots about a size larger than normal.
You will love them, I know I do.
Hope this helps.

If I was tall, I'd probably be stupid.

#135432 - 01/16/02 01:26 PM Re: Breathable waders=cold feet?
Preston Singletary Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
You'll never be able to keep your feet warm in a pair of stocking foot waders; I don't care how many or what kind of socks you wear. If having warm feet is important to you, get a pair of boot foot waders with an insulated boot.

#135433 - 01/16/02 02:56 PM Re: Breathable waders=cold feet?
baddawg Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett WA
Cabelas medium weight polar tech socks are unbeatable for warmth, and come in large sizes for us big foots!

baddawg

#135434 - 01/16/02 04:18 PM Re: Breathable waders=cold feet?
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
I wear Simms Breathable Guide waders in the stockingfoot style. My feet are NEVER cold. Preston......you'd better get your circulation checked! laugh

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#135435 - 01/16/02 06:16 PM Re: Breathable waders=cold feet?
centerpin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: The Terrace
Fleese underwear,fleese socks,Simms guide weight,havent got cold yet.

#135436 - 01/16/02 07:06 PM Re: Breathable waders=cold feet?
Chromeo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Kenmore, WA
Rivers this time of the year=Cold Feet! laugh laugh
tyler

#135437 - 01/16/02 07:29 PM Re: Breathable waders=cold feet?
hollysmolts Offline
Fry

Loc: Taco Bell
I think that its your waders,,and guess what I have a brand new pair of Ronny Titan Breathable Waders that I am selling, they have neopreme boots and 3mm butt and knee sections...hehehe
just kidding,
I think that the most important thing is to have a big enough boot to keep the circulation going,
bigger the better as far as putting a wool sock under neith.

good luck

[ 01-16-2002: Message edited by: hollysmolts ]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Carcassman), 1444 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |