Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#139358 - 02/06/02 03:01 AM pink worm
PrimeEvil Offline
Alevin

Loc: puyallup, WA
ok so i read and read about the pink worm working for steelhead; however, does it work on salmon?

#139359 - 02/06/02 03:30 AM Re: pink worm
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes!

#139360 - 02/06/02 04:12 AM Re: pink worm
PrimeEvil Offline
Alevin

Loc: puyallup, WA
haha sweet.. i am trying to find new things to use when my dad and i take our yearly trip that lasts a month starting in october.. so far i got the pink worm.. i was also looking at the steelhead rags.. that would work too right? wink

gotta one up him.. he caught more than me last year..
any other ideas to try.. i fish from the bank btw

#139361 - 02/06/02 05:46 AM Re: pink worm
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yup.

#139362 - 02/06/02 06:12 AM Re: pink worm
Anonymous
Unregistered

OK, I guess you were looking for a little more feedback. laugh

I have been fishing more with jigs and pink worms than any other thing the last couple years. Making up for lost time - and gathering all the knowledge I can. And a whole lot of experimenting with things most others haven't gotten into yet.

We all know steelies love the pink worm. So do silvers (coho salmon). I've caught many 'hos on the pink worm on both a float fished jighead and by drift fishing methods. Even out in the ocean, not just the rivers. Like steelhead, I found that adding various types of twitched or 'jigged' actions to the pink worm they are often more productive than just the free drifting with the 2 above methods of presentation (but not always - so try the straight drifting first). Putting just the right curve into the worm and doing a very slow retreive along with some twitching has hooked me up to steelhead and silvers when seemingly nothing else would work. Not good eggs, shrimp tail, the best of jigs, or even plugs. It's a whole new world out there for rubber. NOT just the pink worm either!

Chinooks will also take the pink worm, as well as take jigs. The slower straight drift method works better on the big 'nooks, rather than the action discoveries that have worked on the steelies and 'hos with various rubber presentations. Fly, FH5, and I were on the Humptulips this fall, fishing on a hord of silvers. They were taking everything. Didn't matter what. But on one of the deeper holes I deep drifted a pink worm on a jighead under a float. The float just sank under the surface (not a harder hit like steelhead usually do) and I set it on a strong mid-twenties chinook that I landed on 10 lb. line. Released that gray belly buck. Gotten some on Oregon rivers too that way too. I haven't tried them on springer 'nooks yet, but I'll bet my GL3 I will get one on a pink worm.

On another trip, out near bouy 10, Don Larson rigged up a long pink worm on herring trolling gear and started getting more hits than us guys with plugcut herring! That was for a short while on our last trip out there last fall, so we didn't get to try more of it. We definitely will next fall. So I think these pink worms, and many other rubber items, will work for any of the salmonid species in both the salt and especially in the rivers with the right presentations and scents. Shrimp oil with anise is good for steelies (and searuns cutts) and herring/squid/anise is good for the salmon. But most good scents will work on either species; as will unscented worms at times. Have fun. smile

#139363 - 02/06/02 09:20 AM Re: pink worm
OXCAMP1 Offline
Smolt

Loc: VASHON WA US
Saw a pic that Rich G left on a post back in late October I think it was of a crome hatchery buck caught with a #4 vibrax with a pink worm threaded on a single siwash. Since then I've put over a dozen silvers and 3 steelhead on the bank with this method (thankx Rich!) I think the trick is to get the worm to lay as flat as possible against the shink of the siwash as to not affect the action of the blade.

#139364 - 02/06/02 10:14 AM Re: pink worm
shytuna Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: fort lewis, wa.
prime evil,

you could be the man when you rig with pink!
my brother in law picked up alot of hatchery silvers this last fall out on the cowlitz. he kept e-mailing me all these photo's of 'ho's with pink worms in the vicinity! he ended the season there with a 22.5lb chrome silver! slower water normal drift rig (not cowlitz style ie; 6ft leader) 30" to 40" leader and just dragged reeeeel slow! he claims it's the "go to rig" when there's a slack in the bite. I have caught steelie's with it (3" reeeel soft type) down south in california (russian and klammath rivers). good luck they work!

#139365 - 02/06/02 08:47 PM Re: pink worm
UltimateFeashKacher Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: WA
Bass fishermen are laughing at us. They have been using rubber forever wink I have used plastic eggs successfully as well.

#139366 - 02/06/02 09:01 PM Re: pink worm
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Gold Bar
UltimateFeashKacher

Ya but have you used lizards, jigs tipped with pork, top water buzz baits or one of those big rubber looking rats. laugh

#139367 - 02/06/02 09:12 PM Re: pink worm
steelheadaddict01 Offline
Smolt

Loc: Kaizer OR, formerly MT and WA
what's next, spinner bait?

#139368 - 02/06/02 10:54 PM Re: pink worm
paul in b'ham Offline
Smolt

Loc: b'ham,WA.
May the good lord bless that daring individual that had the cahoonies to first fish for steelhead with a pink worm. rolleyes

Peace,

Paul

#139369 - 02/06/02 11:13 PM Re: pink worm
Fish'n Magician Offline
Parr

Loc: Hillsboro Oregon
Pink worms dont work.......... rolleyes rolleyes

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (stonefish), 1395 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |