Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#141062 - 02/15/02 10:41 PM Serves me right I guess...computer trouble
Krome Brite Offline
Spawner

Loc: Washougal, WA
Okay, so I've been a little mean to people lately, all in the name of fun though. Well, now I've got major computer trouble and was wondering if any of you could help me figure out what's wrong. Hopefully before I lose this, I can type out my problem. Every time I get online here at home, I will be on for about half an hour to an hour or so, then all of a sudden the moniter goes black on me and the computer immediately restarts. What is up with this? It's really pissing me off because I just was typing an email that was already about a page long and lost it all! Can anybody help me solve this problem?! Thanks. smile

#141063 - 02/15/02 11:10 PM Re: Serves me right I guess...computer trouble
POS Clerk Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Oregon

#141064 - 02/15/02 11:11 PM Re: Serves me right I guess...computer trouble
spawnout Offline
Spawner

Loc: Satsop
Sounds like you've got power supply problems - this happens to me when I'm stupid enough to run my computer during a storm and the power flickers. If your lights aren't flickering and this is happening, likely it is your surge protector - it has gotten old and weak and is flipping off breifly - these are supposed to be replaced regularly - maybe get a new one and see if that helps.

#141065 - 02/15/02 11:15 PM Re: Serves me right I guess...computer trouble
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
This may seem a little obvious, but check your power cable. If it's in securely on both ends (computer and wall) the internal fan may not be cooling the power supply adequately.

#141066 - 02/15/02 11:21 PM Re: Serves me right I guess...computer trouble
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: brownsville wa.
Without knowing more I would say power suply also What kind of computer is it?If it is an out of the box it very well might have a diagnostics mode that could help?

#141067 - 02/15/02 11:22 PM Re: Serves me right I guess...computer trouble
sinker Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Puyallup, WA
Sounds to me like a heat problem. Mine started doing this at one time on my old computer. Opened the case up and for some reason (can't remember why) the fan on the CPU had quit.

#141068 - 02/15/02 11:24 PM Re: Serves me right I guess...computer trouble
Dave Jackson Offline
Spawner

Loc: Milwaukie, OR
I would concur about the power supply. Go sniffing around the computer case...smell anything burning? Seriously, that could be a hint.

Power supplies can go between $15 and $40 depending on power needs, but you also have to measure the original to make sure it's not some pain in the ass small size that's hard to replace.

#141069 - 02/15/02 11:26 PM Re: Serves me right I guess...computer trouble
riverswild Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: OlyWa
I had the same problem awhile ago and as funny as it may seem, it was a ten dollar fan that caused the problem.

I would check the internal temp or try running the machine with the case open/off and try to recreate the situation.

Good Luck!

#141070 - 02/16/02 12:33 AM Re: Serves me right I guess...computer trouble
Krome Brite Offline
Spawner

Thanks alot guys. I'm pretty dumb when it comes to computers, so I don't dare open it up and look inside to see if the fan's off, etc. I'll try to listen around the tower though and check my surge/power cable. No storms around here lately. The computer's actually sounding a little quieter than usual, so maybe the fan's the problem. But, it's a brand new (well, not quite, it's a year 2000) Gateway, my OS is Windows 98, it has an Intel 500 MHz Pentium III Processor, and Norton Anti-Virus. I don't even know if I said all that right. BTW, how can a person find out the temperature of their computer? Didn't know that was possible?

#141071 - 02/16/02 12:58 AM Re: Serves me right I guess...computer trouble
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Kb do you have air blowing out the top of the case in the back?If you do then the fan on your power supply works.If it does not have air blowing out then I would bring it to a shop and they will replace the power supply.There should be just two screws holding the left side of the case on.These screws are on the back of the case on the left side.Remove those and slide the case side to the rear of the case this should expose the inside of the computer.somewhere in the middle or more towards the top should be another fan spinning If it is not spinning turn it off and get it replaced.If it is spinning I would bring it to a shop and pay to have it diagnosed.Once you get the left side off it will be obvios what I am talking about.You cant hurt anything by removing the side of the case and looking in!

#141072 - 02/16/02 01:13 AM Re: Serves me right I guess...computer trouble
Krome Brite Offline
Spawner

Thanks ltlCLEO, I just checked and there's air coming out, but not as much as usual I don't think? One thing I just thought of though--we do have a longhaired cat that sheds alot. Maybe his hair is getting inside the computer and slowing the fan down? I suppose I could take the 'case' off, but not right now. Maybe tomorrow, I'm tired right now...BTW, there's two fans in a computer?

Quote:
Originally posted by ltlCLEO:
somewhere in the middle or more towards the top should be another fan spinning If it is not spinning turn it off and get it replaced.

#141073 - 02/16/02 01:14 AM Re: Serves me right I guess...computer trouble
POS Clerk Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Oregon

#141074 - 02/16/02 01:46 AM Re: Serves me right I guess...computer trouble
banki Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Montesano, WA
Sounds like possibly your cpu is overheating and shutting down your system, make sure all your fans are working properly. If cat hair is problem go by a can of compressed air and blow out the inside of the computer and be sure not to turn the can upside down when your spraying or else it will drip out and possible damage your system board. Also in your bios setup it will tell you what your cpu temp is, cant recall off top my head of what title its under.

#141075 - 02/16/02 03:17 AM Re: Serves me right I guess...computer trouble
sinker Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Puyallup, WA
The CPU fan is probly the problem. The fan blowing air out the back is a seperate fan.

I've seen more than one CPU get cooked due to no air on it.

I've got an AMD 1Ghz and the life of it without fan and heatsink is something like less than a second.

You aren't going to hurt anything by opening the case up and looking at it. You'll be surprised how much cat hair and dust will need cleaned out of there. You can also get those cans of compressed air to blow out the heatsinks and stuff too.

Just remember heat is what kills electronic components!!!

#141076 - 02/16/02 11:19 AM Re: Serves me right I guess...computer trouble
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

check your email smile

#141077 - 02/16/02 11:34 AM Re: Serves me right I guess...computer trouble
Dave Jackson Offline
Spawner

Just buy a new computer and send that one to me for the consultation fee. laugh

#141078 - 02/16/02 02:18 PM Re: Serves me right I guess...computer trouble
Thumper Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Blow out the cat with compressed air and your troubles are over.

Please join CCA. After only 18 months total Pacific Northwest membership is over 7,000. We need you!

The walls of death have got to go!

#141079 - 02/17/02 12:16 AM Re: Serves me right I guess...computer trouble
tommo41 Offline
Fry

Loc: yakima, wa usa
Take the cover off the CPU and vacuum that sucker out.
1. Turn off the power.
2. Unscrew case screws.
3. Touch the power supply to take static electricity off you.
4. vacuum.
5. Turn on again with case off - check fan. Fans are $20.
6. Leave the case off and make a convertible to give it more cooling till You get a fan.

Tom wink

#141080 - 02/17/02 01:01 AM Re: Serves me right I guess...computer trouble
Dave Jackson Offline
Spawner

The two upper-end P3 Gateway systems that I've worked on in the past do not have fans on the CPU heatsink, which amazed the heck out of me. They had plastic shrouds coming off of the power supply in an attempt to suck the air off of the CPU. Without a CPU fan it tends to make them more sensitive to heat, so on both I just bought a $10 heat sink and fan combo and strapped it on, with good results.

So yeah, heat could be a problem too.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (SpoonFed), 1376 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |