LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#142962 - 03/01/02 07:35 PM Why do "Native steelhead" fish have deep bleeding fresh net marks?
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Toledo, Washington

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????

#142963 - 03/01/02 08:21 PM Re: Why do "Native steelhead" fish have deep bleeding fresh net marks?
Robert Allen3 Offline
Spawner

Loc: vancouver WA USA
cowlitzfisherman.. I don't know where you are fishing but right now there is a commercial fishery for spring chinook in the lower columbia.using the tangle tooth nets wich have a mesh of either 5 or 5 1/2 inches. The problem is they are netting during the day when most steelhead traveling occurs. they should be netting at night while steelhead are holding and the chinooks are moving. Just a case of one step forward 2 steps back. Although these guys are supposed to be releasing wild chinook and steelhead by catch who knows how these released fish are being handled....

#142964 - 03/01/02 08:59 PM Re: Why do "Native steelhead" fish have deep bleeding fresh net marks?
Fish Jesus Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
Steelhead holed up at night? Major upriver movement of steelhead occurs at night, especially during full moon cycles or clear high lit nights. I read an article in STS last year about tracking Steelhead movement by the use of electronic monitoring devices.

The fact that glowballing is so good to me during high lit or full moon cycles has me believing!

FJ...out.

Cowfisher...has it got crazy with sleds yet down there?

#142965 - 03/01/02 10:31 PM Re: Why do "Native steelhead" fish have deep bleeding fresh net marks?
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Robert Allen3
The fish that I am talking about are not from the Cowlitz!

Fish Jesus

I have to agree with you about steelhead moving at night. And no, the fleet won't get bad until the springers show up. Water flows are running about 8400 right now and are expected to drop back down by next Monday.

Cowlitzfisherman

#142966 - 03/01/02 10:38 PM Re: Why do "Native steelhead" fish have deep bleeding fresh net marks?
Fish Jesus Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
Cowfisher, what is optimum flow for it...lets say just north of you...E mail me If you like>

Thanks

FJ...out.

My new sled had broadened a few options! wink

#142967 - 03/02/02 01:31 AM Re: Why do "Native steelhead" fish have deep bleeding fresh net marks?
UltimateFeashKacher Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: WA
Is it possible they were chased by sea lions?

#142968 - 03/02/02 04:41 AM Re: Why do "Native steelhead" fish have deep bleeding fresh net marks?
Robert Allen3 Offline
Spawner

Loc: vancouver WA USA
Cowlitzfisherman I know you said that.

#142969 - 03/02/02 10:12 AM Re: Why do "Native steelhead" fish have deep bleeding fresh net marks?
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

No, I have seen my share of seal bit fish! These fish have the typical net marks that rap around the body and some fin damage. One fish had both sides of its gill plate torn and bleeding and the other two had deep cuts located just behind the pectoral fins. It may be possible, that a small net mess is causing the deep cut marks. Do the tribes have to use the same size nets as the commercial does? If so, who makes them adbide by any rule since they are not subject to white man rules or laws on their lands, or are they? confused

Since the Cowlitz has not been legally netted by any of the tribes, I have not really brought myself up to speed on this issue. What are their rules (if any), and who makes and enforces them? confused

Cowlitzfisherman

#142970 - 03/02/02 11:04 AM Re: Why do "Native steelhead" fish have deep bleeding fresh net marks?
Dave Jackson Offline
Spawner

Loc: Milwaukie, OR
Personally I would recommend taking a camera with you next time out and trying to take pictures of these markings. I'll bet that your local DFW biologist would like to see these, as if this is due to the tangle nets cutting into the fish somehow due to the small diameter then this could be disasterous for that program.

#142971 - 03/02/02 12:46 PM Re: Why do "Native steelhead" fish have deep bleeding fresh net marks?
Bathtub Bob Offline
Parr

Loc: Rochester, Wa
Cowlitzfisherman Were fishing below you and the nets are in sunday noon till fri 6pm Thats the Q nation .There net marks are normal marks, now the Chehalis tribes nets are mostly junk and they use anything that works is my guess. Bathtub

#142972 - 03/03/02 12:17 AM Re: Why do "Native steelhead" fish have deep bleeding fresh net marks?
Wernergonefishin Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Chehalis Wa
Ive fish some of the chehalis river and some of its tribs and have caught many native steelies with net marks on them and also a couple springers with chunks of net still on them. The biggest problem with the nets in the chehalis is once the tribes are done with them they seem to get tossed in the river and roll along the bottem until they hang, and they just keep killing fish until they fall apart or get destroyed. Ive seen chunks of net not being fish still stretched half way across the river. confused Whats it goin to take to get these nets out of these rivers. mad

#142973 - 03/03/02 10:43 AM Re: Why do "Native steelhead" fish have deep bleeding fresh net marks?
Banock Offline
Parr

Loc: Oakville, Wa.
I have to agree, I almost lost a boat due to hooking a net on the bottom with my anchor. I have also seen numerous nets laying on the gravel bars and in the river most of the time during the year. The Chehalis Tribe says they are doing a good job managing the fish, yea right.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1318 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |