THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#143642 - 03/07/02 02:36 PM Bankin' it in Forks this weekend...
StorminN Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Blyn, WA
Friends of mine are renting a cabin in LaPush, so it looks like I'll be out in that area this weekend.

Not sure how much time I'll have, but I'm looking for any tips on where/when/how to bank it on the rivers out there in hopes of hooking a lunker.

Email me if you'd like.
mailto:norm@mervin.com

-N.

#143643 - 03/07/02 02:52 PM Re: Bankin' it in Forks this weekend...
h2o Offline
Carcass

Loc: Portland
If you plan on hitting the Hoh from the bank the recent high waters have the made the access from G & L Shake road awesome, three gravel bars worth of decent water... smile

#143644 - 03/07/02 05:17 PM Re: Bankin' it in Forks this weekend...
Hohwaiian Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, Washington, US
Yeah I hit it last week. It's called GLX Snake Road, though. rolleyes

#143645 - 03/07/02 05:49 PM Re: Bankin' it in Forks this weekend...
h2o Offline
Carcass

Certainly don't want to start an argument but, the G & L Shake road is clearly marked with a sign that says "G & L...", makes it easier to find if you know what to look for...

Hohwaiian, I was there on Sunday...Where were you at??

#143646 - 03/07/02 07:15 PM Re: Bankin' it in Forks this weekend...
Hohwaiian Offline
Returning Adult

I know you're trying to be helpful, but your information could've been emailed. Yes, the shake mill is clearly marked with a street sign, but the sign does not read "G&L, three awesome gravel bars worth of decent water" on it.

I've been hitting this spot all winter. And for the most part it's been just a handful of guys consistantly pounding it. It's a good thing that the season is winding down, because I fear hundreds of townies are reading your post and are planning to hit G&L this weekend. No wonder most of the peninsula locals I've talked to hate this site...nuff said.

peace out....

#143647 - 03/07/02 07:32 PM Re: Bankin' it in Forks this weekend...
trailrat77 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: rowers seat
Oh boy the secret is out, there are 3 great gravel bars to fish on the Hoh! Me and my army of townie fishermen are getting ready to head that way as I type this. Look out locals here come the crowds.
get real it's the Hoh.....
nuff said.......

#143648 - 03/07/02 07:46 PM Re: Bankin' it in Forks this weekend...
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
I got 12 of my closest buddies rarin' to go this weekend also. See you guys there! rolleyes rolleyes

#143649 - 03/07/02 08:16 PM Re: Bankin' it in Forks this weekend...
Steel-Addicted Offline
Parr

Loc: Redmond
I'm going to rent a bus and take all the bored fishermen from the closed snohomish system out there this weekend. Now that I know where the secret spot is! I'll bet those three gravel bars will fish more than 30 dudes.

Let me know if you want a spot on the bus! smile

SA

#143650 - 03/07/02 08:58 PM Re: Bankin' it in Forks this weekend...
FishinSinsation Offline
Spawner

Loc: kenmore, wa
I'll bring all the puyallup/carbon people.. hey TM wanna ride up with me wink

#143651 - 03/07/02 09:05 PM Re: Bankin' it in Forks this weekend...
Fishslayer75 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Auburn
stlhdh20, good info. There needs to be more info like that at this board. The guy that requested the info MIGHT get a chance to get down there. All this zipperlip stuff sucks. I'll bet that maybe 3 guys that read this might show up. I thought that the reason for this board is to share info, even location at times. Clearly this is one of the spots you got to! Guys need to face it, its going to get busy with the north end rivers being closed. The Hoh is NOT a zipper!!!!!
Don't mean to got off but the zipper thing has been buggin be for a while.By the way I hit keppers in elliot bay last weekend, care to join me laugh I'll be out there in at blue 20ft searay.

#143652 - 03/07/02 10:24 PM Re: Bankin' it in Forks this weekend...
h2o Offline
Carcass

Hahaha...G & L Shake a zipperlip, that's a good one...I seem to recall about four maps a year in(holding nose) F & H news giving explicit directions to G & L shake road...
and the boat launches and Nolan Creek, Allen's bar and the lot of them.

Sorry Hohwaiian if I outed your spot, I have to disagree with you about its secrecy hohwever. In the few hours I was there I counted 5 boats, two pontoons and six bankies and that was only at the gravel bar I could see.

One of the reasons I fish the Hoh so damn hard while living so far away is its exclusivity. By that I mean the Hoh is only about eighty miles as the crow flies from the third largest metropolitan area on the west coast and yet receives very little pressure at all. Any fisherman unwilling to drive for four or five hours, pay for a hotel and probably get rained out is excluded. I have a good friend that I have been trying to introduce to the Hoh for a year and a half...three of our four trips totalling almost two weeks in time were rained completely out, I think we fished three days effectively and two of those were on zipperlip creeks because the river was so high it was extracting old growths. Any person unwilling to face these grim odds as a weekend warrior is excluded.

People that make three trips in a row and get skunked during prime time learn that its actually just a lot easier, more productive and (more palatable to the wife) to go to Reiter. They are excluded.

The Hoh is for people who make the decided commitment to go every weekend possible, over and over again, take your vacations there and your sick days stacked up against weekends to avoid the (yes) traffic. To spend our money (alot)in the sad and somehow inspirational town of Forks whose sole leading industry these days revolves around the fishing economy (If I am wrong I am sure someone will correct me, but its gotta be #1 or #2).

Believe me Hohwaiian, I am hating the crowds I have watched grow out there myself in the last ten years. You are safe though, think of it like this: You think three clean shaven, new wader wearin, waterfloggin, SUV drivin' fishermen that have never been down the G & L Shake road (and you know what I mean) before are gonna beat you to the best spot on the gravel bar? I say build a fire, crack a beer and start placing bets on how long it takes the tall one to come over and ask you where the nearest gas station is... wink

Sorry for the long post...

#143653 - 03/07/02 10:25 PM Re: Bankin' it in Forks this weekend...
UltimateFeashKacher Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: WA
Locals hate this site? Did you take a poll? I think a lot of other guides have a full time clients because of this site and the town's economy is in much better shape because fishermen spend money in hotels, food, gas, tackle, etc. So make sure you include all locals in your poll and not just the few locals fishing near you.

#143654 - 03/07/02 11:15 PM Re: Bankin' it in Forks this weekend...
Loomis Offline
Juvenile at Sea

since the skys closed sounds like the crew will need to load up the sleds and hit the hoh specially since the secerets out about the hoh thanks for the tip.

#143655 - 03/07/02 11:47 PM Re: Bankin' it in Forks this weekend...
baitchucker Offline
Fry

I'm going to be out there later this month. I don't expect someone to tell me the holes and locations that they are catching fish. I'm just happy to hear what the rivers are doing and about any new hazards on the drifts. I don't mind finding the holes and locations on my owne. It might take a little more time , but that is part of the game

#143656 - 03/08/02 12:10 AM Re: Bankin' it in Forks this weekend...
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

I THINK ITS THE SVIVELLING LITTLE CRYBABIES ON HERE...WHICH MAY SCARE SOME PEOPLE OFF THIS SITE!! MELLOW OUT GEEEEZ mad

- Albert Einstein.

#143657 - 03/08/02 12:12 AM Re: Bankin' it in Forks this weekend...
StorminN Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Blyn, WA
Yikes.

I think this is why I said "email me if you'd like"

While I'm not a die-hard steelheader at all (been out only 4 times this winter) I do live only an hour and a half from Forks, so I can access it fairly easily, no ferries or such. I was stupid enough to drive out there 5 weekends in a row (in the rain) last spring looking for springers, only to never get a bite. So take that as you will.

Thanks for any info, guys.

-N.

#143658 - 03/08/02 12:21 AM Re: Bankin' it in Forks this weekend...
R Ridgeway Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle
I think more attention is drawn when there is a strong reaction to posting specific information. Posting a strong reaction only serves to let our big city imagi-nate-ions go wild! Before you know it I'm dreaming of bait-divers, egg clusters, sandshrimp, pink worms under a float and a reservation at Olympic Suites.....by the way is the ITT Rayonier gate open going into Tall Timbers?

#143659 - 03/08/02 02:19 AM Re: Bankin' it in Forks this weekend...
pimpinshrimp Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: whatcom county
Maybe me and the baitchucker will have to load up all the northsound boys and come on over too.jeez pick up any fishing mag and it will have something about the hoh. This site rocks!

Pimpinsheep

#143660 - 03/10/02 03:31 PM Re: Bankin' it in Forks this weekend...
Hohwaiian Offline
Returning Adult

Yeeeeouch!!! Just returned from the OP to discover my a$$ got lambasted by the vicious hordes of townies. Whoops, guess I should've known my sarcastic jest would be met by more of the same. Ha, ha, ha...

Anyway, I hope it didn't detract from the original point I was trying to make. Yes, the Hoh is not a zipperlip river and likewise G&L's is not a zipperlip spot. But, the riverine change that occurred from the last high water is definitely zipperlip info. Stlhdh2o, let me reiterate; I know you were trying to be helpful. But realize that thousands of steelheaders read your original post. So ultimately you may have diminished your own up-and-coming fishing experiences, those you so vividly described in your previous post. You have not only outed my spot, but yours also.

RR, thank you. Point well taken.

Sol Duc, I've jumped on people that I don't agree with before. But, my reactionary posts have never been baseless flaming. My last post included a weak attempt at humor. Yet under the circumstances, I felt, was relatively mellow.

UFK, What your problem? That's the second time you've dissed me. I've done nothing to you. What's up with the trolling?

#143661 - 03/10/02 04:06 PM Re: Bankin' it in Forks this weekend...
h2o Offline
Carcass

Hohwaiian,

Is there a way to see how many views a post has had?? I dispute your claim that thousands of people read my post.

I've asked a lot of questions on this BB and have received a lot of answers. It only works when are equally as willing to give answers as you are to ask.

BTW, were you at G & L this weekend? I wonder how many people showed at G & L total because of my post?? Five...? Ten...? Out of 'thousands of readers'...Its so remote out there that as I said above, it excludes most anglers from enjoying the resource...

I hope you don't think I lambasted you...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
ET, kbrain57, OLYBEAV
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Krijack), 559 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |