LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#146251 - 03/22/02 03:55 PM What would you buy? -Metal or Glass?
Pintail Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Snohomish
Ok, I want your opinion. I have owned a wooden drift boat before, nice but -(whew) - what a maintenance nightmare!

Now I am looking to buy a 16' boat. I see benifits with both. It seems like glass may be faster and less wind resistant, whereas most aluminums are generally designed for bigger water - thus giving you more flexibility for what rivers you can go to.

Thanks for your advise.

#146252 - 03/22/02 04:08 PM Re: What would you buy? -Metal or Glass?
h2o Offline
Carcass

Loc: Portland
Another thing to consider is the technicality of the rivers you most often frequent. If you know you will be making contact with alot of rocks, sticky rocks, lean toward glass. If you are constantly fishing in water that is not technical it doesn't matter as much. I have found that Aluminum tends to track better, which is important if you plan on pulling plugs alot. Heavy water can really boss a glass boat around. If you need to perform alot of technical manouevers glass is easier to control.

But I am sure it depends on who you ask...

I have aluminum...

Rowed several glass boats and just can't seem to hold their line as well, spend too much energy trying to stay straight vs. hold your river position...

...and the wind will ruin your whole day in a glass boat...

Hope this helps a little....

#146253 - 03/22/02 06:03 PM Re: What would you buy? -Metal or Glass?
Skywalker Offline
Spawner

Loc: Snohomish, WA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by stlhdh2o:
[QB]
...and the wind will ruin your whole day in a glass boat...

QB]
I wonder if that is true of the new Clackacrafts with the tunnel....I'm guessing the tunnel only helps when the boat's moving slower than the current, and isn't really designed to function as a keel in the wind. I've been thinking about a glass boat, but maybe not.

I don't plan on a lot of technical water (lower Sky, mostly), and I will want to plug quite a bit, at least until my wife and kids figure out casting. Hmmmmmmm.........

#146254 - 03/22/02 06:09 PM Re: What would you buy? -Metal or Glass?
Crayfin Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Beaverton
Our driftboat is glass and I think it is the hot ticket. I have oared several aluminums and I still think that way. The old Clackacrafts kinda sucked because they flexed so bad but the new ones might be alright.

I would pretty much agree with what H20 said thought about the difference. Wind will kill ya in a glass boat. But man.....aluminum is so friggin cold!!!

Crayfin out

#146255 - 03/22/02 06:09 PM Re: What would you buy? -Metal or Glass?
h2o Offline
Carcass

Loc: Portland
Never rowed the tunnel hull design... my feelings about the wind are that the effect is so great because of its lightness. I am not convinced that the tunnel hull provides as stable a platform as the chines on a aluminum boat but I will reserve final judgement until I get a chance to try it out...I am curious too.

A good point Crayfin, and something else to consider...a Mr. Heater can damage a glass boat. I run Mr. Heaters when its cold; letting the surface of the fly deck get hot is a great way to alleviate the drawback of cold aluminum. You can't do this in a glass boat, at least you run the risk of damaging your boat if you do. Maybe there are solutions to this problem I have never heard of.

#146256 - 03/23/02 02:34 AM Re: What would you buy? -Metal or Glass?
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: IDAHO
If the cold is the only thing that makes a glass boat better than a Alum boat you guys are are wusses. It does not even get get cold in WA.. ever at all. You freak out if it snows.... Thats a every day thing here and Alum rules. On the same ticket you think you have some white water... crap.. you got nothing....

I have never heard of a river that you had to draw a permit for in Washington... The Salmon river 300 miles + without a dam on it..ANY WAY ..
We can't believe the "cold" has anything to do with what drift boat you buy.

#146257 - 03/23/02 10:22 AM Re: What would you buy? -Metal or Glass?
Skywalker Offline
Spawner

Loc: Snohomish, WA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by B-RUN STEELY:
ANY WAY ..
We can't believe the "cold" has anything to do with what drift boat you buy.
Oh, is that what you were finally getting around to? Geez, chill, wouldja? It's not like we're talking about putting cabins on them. rolleyes

Did you guys ever get pavement on that stretch of I-90 through Kellog or is it still gravel? wink

#146258 - 03/23/02 02:04 PM Re: What would you buy? -Metal or Glass?
Crayfin Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Beaverton
Eaaaasy there B-Run! Have you ever oared a good glass boat, you rompin, stompin, cold bearing,
white water runnin He-Man? laugh I said aluminum was friggin cold, I did not say it was unbearable!

Maybe someday I will grow some hair and my *ss and come up there and get a lesson on how to be a real man and fish in the "cold" with you (That is if you find me deserving) I promise not to cry like a small child if it starts to snow! wink

Crayfin

#146259 - 03/23/02 05:07 PM Re: What would you buy? -Metal or Glass?
Big Sven Larson Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: stanwood
I've had a Lavro for about 5 years now and I really enjoy it.I fish the Sky alot, and the Skagit and Sauk. I havn't rowed a metal boat yet but a friend of mine has a Hyde combo, fiberglass and aluminum it weighs alot more and that means more rowing.I also run a Mr. Heater in my boat with no problems it's mostly for the people in the front seat, rowing usually keeps me warm enough.

#146260 - 03/24/02 09:41 PM Re: What would you buy? -Metal or Glass?
T-bone Offline
Parr

Loc: Vancouver
I have a 1999 Clackacraft and I like it quite a bit. I've rowed both aluminum and glass boats, and can't really tell a big difference. The new Clacka's are nice because they are lower profile and thus the wind doesn't effect them as much. The downfall of this is that they probably shouldn't be taken on any bigger water. I also like the fact that a glass boat doesn't get stuck on rocks as easy as a aluminum boat.

#146261 - 03/25/02 10:52 AM Re: What would you buy? -Metal or Glass?
Pintail Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Snohomish
I appreciate everyones advice!

I fish the Sky, Snohomish, Skagit and Stilly rivers most of the time. I am trying to find something for about $2,500 - which does not get you a Willie mad

It seems like there is more glass boats out out there in this price range - I may choose one because of that. For getting started - it does not sound like I can go wrong on these rivers with glass (except for wind).

I appreciate all the info! If you know of a boat in my price range - needdriftboat@yahoo.com

Bring on the Springers!!

#146262 - 03/25/02 11:04 AM Re: What would you buy? -Metal or Glass?
Steel-Addicted Offline
Parr

Loc: Redmond
Check out Three Rivers Marine website.
http://www.3riversmarine.com/boats/used-boats.htm
They have a '93 Clakacraft for $2700.

SA

#146263 - 03/25/02 10:34 PM Re: What would you buy? -Metal or Glass?
T-bone Offline
Parr

Loc: Vancouver
There's a 1996 Clackacraft in the classified section of this web page for $2700.

#146264 - 03/26/02 12:45 AM Re: What would you buy? -Metal or Glass?
Robert Allen3 Offline
Spawner

Loc: vancouver WA USA
Steel-addicted, T-bone

you are both speaking of the same boat it's a 1996 which I cam very very close to buying. Pintail that boat would be an exceptional choice it is in very good shape. and also it's pretty well equipped

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Schmidtm, schmidty, Spinhead
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 903 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |