Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#149351 - 04/15/02 03:28 PM Home made Sardine Oil
LilCorky Offline
Egg

Loc: Oregon
I was wondering if anyone has been succesful at making Sardine Oil at homel that worked good for them. I have not had good luck with commercial oils lately and would like to try and make my own. I have tried draining the oil off canned Sardines but its pretty thin. Anyone have a recipe? confused

#149352 - 04/15/02 03:45 PM Re: Home made Sardine Oil
Anonymous
Unregistered

'Cork, get some saltwater up to a high boil. Turn the fans on and open the windows! (Or do this outside on a Coleman type propane stove). Put the freshest fileted sardines in this caldron for awhile. Use a large serving spoon to skim off the fish oil that will rise to the top. (same with other baits - cold presses are just too expensive; unless you go commercial). You can strain the collected oil thru a porous cheese cloth if you want it pretty and easier to squeeze thru a small bottle nozel. Or you can keep it more natural, which I prefer. If you plan on keeping this stuff around for awhile, add about 1/2 teaspoon of sodium sulfite mixed in real well to extend it's usability quite a while. Combining oils such as sardine and squid or shrimp and crayfish is good to do also, but not necessary. Try adding some anise oil to some of it and Cravex Plus to other containers of it, and compare results on your targeted waters and fish. It's tough to beat fresh home-made scent. ... Also, use the search feature toward the upper right side of the main BB page here to find lots of other good additives to try in your baitoil scents.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
cheaper2buyfish@grocerystore, EastCreek, Guidewest, NeverEnoughPTO
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
4 registered (darth baiter, Krijack, Salmo g., 1 invisible), 1149 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |