Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#151560 - 05/14/02 11:08 AM Summer run float
hookedonjigs Offline
Alevin

Loc: Seattle
I have been using a small diameter black fixed dink float for winter run. i know everyone has a preferance when it comes to floats and I really like the one I have been using. My question is: is it stealth enough for summer run in low clear water? I do have some clear floats, but they are slip floats which I don't really care for.

"Fishing is medicine for the soul."

#151561 - 05/14/02 03:05 PM Re: Summer run float
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
HoJ,

I use the exact same one as you for summer and winter, unless deeper/heavier water requires too much weight for such a small float.

Anytime I'm worried that the water is too shallow or clear in the summer, I don't fish floats, but that's not very often.

Fish on...

Todd.

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#151562 - 05/14/02 04:12 PM Re: Summer run float
JacobF Offline
Spawner

Loc: Post Falls, ID
And make sure the part of the float that's in the water is a natural color, shades of green, brown/tan/cork or gray. Black will be easy for a fish to spot.

#151563 - 05/15/02 09:43 AM Re: Summer run float
CRAVEN MOOREHEAD Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: TACOMA,WA
I know it sounds wierd, but I think the white dink floats are the least visable to the fish. Think about this, if you are underwater and looking up, the water surface appears white or light colored if the sun is shining....so (IMO) the black, green or any dark color float will stand out more then a white one.

#151564 - 05/15/02 03:23 PM Re: Summer run float
LittleZoZo Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Rochester, WA USA
I use the largest cheater made for a float. I slide it up my line and peg it with a toothpick. I usually use chartruse or hot pink..... I think that people get way too uptight when it comes to float colors and spooking fish with your float. I really dont think that it makes any difference. I've never seen the occasion where I've been outfished by someone else because my float was too visible to the fish. Hell, not only have I not had trouble with my float spooking the fish, but ther have even been times where I've had summer runs come up and strike my float. Go ahead and paint your floats black or blue or green or whatever, but I really dont think it matters to the fish.

#151565 - 05/15/02 10:06 PM Re: Summer run float
Wog Offline
Alevin

Loc: Troutdale, Oregon
hookedonjigs,
When fishing for Summer-run Steelhead, I personally like the round cork floats. I mainly fish them with jigs but occasionally I will toss them with bait. I don't paint them. The float looks like a piece of wood just floating down the river. They have worked well for me in low clear water situations.
Good Luck laugh

#151566 - 05/16/02 01:19 AM Re: Summer run float
Old Dory Offline
Alevin

Loc: Poulsbo Wa
I like the topic I have always used the four to six inch Dink floats in black and green. I dont think that these floats will spook an agressive catchable steelhead in even crystal clear conditions. I do like the posts of steelhead coming up to eat the floats!! Thats fun stuff. I think the first fish I rose to a float was on the gold river, it actualy took it down for a yank. I have one float that has teeth marks in it from last march on the hoh were three fish decided it was the better presentation. I fish the skeena area in the fall and primarily fish dry flys I think this is a fascinating way to fish for these critters and very effective.

#151567 - 05/16/02 01:34 AM Re: Summer run float
First Bite Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: OR
I like the small round corks too. I've floatd them right over fish in gin clear water and they haven't been spooked at all. When fishing riffles or deeper water I don't think it matters much.

Mark

Nobody makes a tougher jig...PERIOD!

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Carcassman), 794 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |