LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#158392 - 08/27/02 06:26 PM Fishermen beware! Fishing access gets even worse on the Cowlitz River.
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Toledo, Washington
Just got back from fishing down at the mouth of the Toutle and the main stem of the Cowlitz. Fishing was supper SLOW. There are no silvers in that section of the lower river yet (like they were last year at this same time). In fact, I know of no one who has even caught any silvers down there this year.

A couple of days ago, there was a small shot of Chinooks that were hanging around the mouth of the Toutle. They have since moved on up river or into the Toutle it's self.

Fishermen will be in for a big surprise this year if they want to park their rigs and bank fish off the west side of the Toutle River where it enters into the Cowlitz (Chapman Road) for silvers or Chinook this year. A few of the local property owners had gotten together late last year and held a secret meeting with Cowlitz County Commissioners just after the big run of early silvers were over (they had no balls to attempt to close it during the run). They (two property owners) talked the County Commissioners into posting numerous no parking signs over 90% of the off road parking area.

One of the property owners who owns the land just up-stream and straight across from the Toutle even put no trespassing signs and posts on the clay shelf that fishermen have used for decades in an attempt to make fishermen think and believe that they can no longer walk the bank and fish the beach area below his property. The public has used that area for decades and long before he owned it! Don't be fooled by his signs, and do your homework. He can not keep you off the normal high water mark of the Cowlitz River (see "Who owns the rivers in Washington?" http://www.adventuresports.com/river/nors/states/wa-law.htm

Maybe some of you would like to call the Cowlitz County Commissioners at 360-577 3020 and tell them what you think about closing off all that public access area that the pubic has been using for decades. I am sure that they will tell you that every one was leaving trash and crapping all over the place as their normal cop-out excuse. Maybe it's not to late to get that parking access back before the fish arrive, without that public side road parking, only a hand full of good old buddies will have fishing access to fish that area anymore. If you want that area back again, you better get off your duff and make those calls now!

I hope that this will save some of you fishermen a wasted trip down to this area. laugh laugh

Cowlitzfisherman

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????

#158393 - 08/27/02 07:39 PM Re: Fishermen beware! Fishing access gets even worse on the Cowlitz River.
fish4steel Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: yelm, wa
Cowlitzfisherman,
You continue to keep us posted on the happenings down that way. Thanks for your continued efforts. Now where's my cell phone.... mad

#158394 - 08/27/02 08:31 PM Re: Fishermen beware! Fishing access gets even worse on the Cowlitz River.
egg goober Offline
Juvenille at Sea

pretty soon there will be no access to any rivers. if only the crackers could pick up after themselves, there would be more access. i know that if there were that many people parking near my home, i'd be the same way. you cant blame the landowners for their reasoning. i could just see them walk out thier front door and trip on some idiots braided line, and get a 5/0 hook stuck in themself.

#158395 - 08/27/02 08:49 PM Re: Fishermen beware! Fishing access gets even worse on the Cowlitz River.
Fish Jesus Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
egg goober are you serious? rolleyes

A very small percentage of fishers out there are the scourge of which you speak. frown

I guess we all work for change in different ways. confused

Thanks Cowman...I'm on it! mad

FJ...out.

#158396 - 08/27/02 09:22 PM Re: Fishermen beware! Fishing access gets even worse on the Cowlitz River.
egg goober Offline
Juvenille at Sea

please dont think im refering to anyone on this site. im just speaking from what ive seen on the rivers. i think you understand.
thanks

#158397 - 08/27/02 09:44 PM Re: Fishermen beware! Fishing access gets even worse on the Cowlitz River.
RK43 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Edmonds
I'll make a call from my cell, home, and work. All of my friends will do the same.

How many spots are left to park?

Is there a place close we could park and shuttle the fishers in?

They can try the parking issue, but lets fill the bank with fishermen just to spite the landowners. laugh laugh

How about a few trash cans to boot?

#158398 - 08/28/02 12:43 AM Re: Fishermen beware! Fishing access gets even worse on the Cowlitz River.
Big T Offline
Smolt

Loc: Snohomish
I was down at the skok' last weekend ( I did'nt fish)and there was so much gargbage around I could'nt beleive it! eek I always see this when there are lot's of people fishing and I can honestly say I am not one of "them" there really has to be something done about the no respect for these rivers and peoples property mad , I would have my company donate cans if they would get emptied and not stolen or destroyed , I cannot maintain them but if anyone has any input I'll do my share, to top it off I rarely fish off the bank I'm a boater! but I really don't like what I see, I think it's avoidable. wink

#158399 - 08/28/02 12:53 AM Re: Fishermen beware! Fishing access gets even worse on the Cowlitz River.
Anonymous
Unregistered

One thing to check is if anyone including the county are posting property they do not own.....doing so is against the law....I don't remember the WAC but its part of the Fish and Game section of them.

#158400 - 08/28/02 09:12 AM Re: Fishermen beware! Fishing access gets even worse on the Cowlitz River.
CRAVEN MOOREHEAD Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: TACOMA,WA
I fished there several times last year and have a question. I understand you are allowed to fish up to the high water mark, but how can you get down to the water without tresspassing if they have the land posted?

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Iwant2fish
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |