Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#160715 - 09/24/02 09:20 PM Dry Brine for smoking fish
Big Woody Offline
Parr

Loc: Gold Bar Wa
I'm interested in trying a dry brine for smoking a salmon I caught yesterday. I've always used a wet brine of brown sugar , salt and water. I've heard that using a dry brine is an excellent way to go. I'd appreciate any comments or recipies that you particularly like.

#160716 - 09/24/02 10:19 PM Re: Dry Brine for smoking fish
HBP Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett,Wa
The recipe I use is for 10lbs.

2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup PLAIN salt
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon pepper

mix together and sprinkle over fish,I let mine brine overnight and smoke until done. If you like stronger flavor don't rinse before smoking.

The fish needs to be in a fairly deep glass bowl,the brine has no liquid added,but it will draw alot of moisture out of the fish.

- no boss, no clock, no stress, no dress code...no shoes,no shirts, no problems. - Kenny Chesney -

#160717 - 09/24/02 11:58 PM Re: Dry Brine for smoking fish
Big Woody Offline
Parr

HBP, Thanks for the response. I'm going to use this recipe . The fish will be in the smoker tomorrow!!

#160718 - 09/25/02 12:10 AM Re: Dry Brine for smoking fish
Busy Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bellevue
I use a recipe very similar to that but in larger quantities of dry bring. I pack the meat in brine and the meat usually comes out firmer. I agree with the idea of not cleaning off the brine but if you do and want to have a sweet and shiny appearance to the meat make up a honey/maple sugar combination and brush on near the end of smokine. This will greatly enhance the appearance and flavor of the meat.

#160719 - 09/25/02 12:26 AM Re: Dry Brine for smoking fish
OregonAngler Offline
Egg

Loc: Salem,Oregon
I have always used a dry brine for smoking the recipe I use is

2 1/2 cps brown sugar
1 cp white sugar
1/4 cp salt
1/4 cp pepper
1/3 cp johnnys seasoning or any other type
1/2 cp gallic powder

Smoke for 6-8 hours for cooking

or what I like to do is smoke for 1 hour then pressure cook for 100minutes at 11 pounds.

Canned smoke salmon is like gold. smile

good luck

#160720 - 09/25/02 12:34 AM Re: Dry Brine for smoking fish
Doug Kelly Offline
Spawner

Loc: Bothell WA
big woody, sitting here eating as i speak, tryed the dry brine for the first time and smoked it today, when they say sprinkle they mean spreankl, a little bit goes a long way other wise it comes real salty, did 4 pieces with different consistys of brine defently go on the light side

#160721 - 09/25/02 01:33 AM Re: Dry Brine for smoking fish
SteelieDan Offline
Fry

Loc: Richland, WA
Doug:

I had the too salty problem once myself with some steelhead that I smoked. For some reason, after leaving it in the fridge for a week, the salty taste was tamed down quite a bit. It ended up being some of the best fish I've ever smoked.

Dan

#160722 - 09/25/02 01:55 AM Re: Dry Brine for smoking fish
Big Woody Offline
Parr

Thanks everyone for the responses. One more question. How long do I leave the brine on?

#160723 - 09/25/02 05:05 AM Re: Dry Brine for smoking fish
The Toyman Offline
Alevin

Loc: Home of the Beachcombers!
Brining is best done 12-18 hours. Do wash the brine off, it helps with the salt. Also you wont get a good pellicle if you dont lightly wash, pat dry and let air for an hour or two. It helps with the finished color and texture.

Someone said use regular salt. I have always been told to use non-iodized salt. I dont know why. (I use course salt).

If you like your fish dry but dont like the dried out look. Brush with brown sugar (and a bit of water) when it has cooled a bit. It gives it that deep red, moist look. Gotta go get some from the freezer now...

#160724 - 09/25/02 11:57 AM Re: Dry Brine for smoking fish
Little Fish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Another dry brine question. Does everyone rinse their fish after using a dry brine? One of the things I dislike about using a wet brine (at least the one I use) is that I need to thoroughly rinse the fish after soaking it. I would be nice to eliminate this step if possible. Any thoughts?
JMS

#160725 - 09/25/02 02:24 PM Re: Dry Brine for smoking fish
Doug Kelly Offline
Spawner

Loc: Bothell WA
thanks for the info seeliedan, l'll give it a try and see if it mellows out, it's not to bad for my first try on the dry brine, doug

#160726 - 09/25/02 02:39 PM Re: Dry Brine for smoking fish
Fish Guy Keith Offline
Parr

Loc: WA
Heres my recipee
1lb brown sugar
1/16 cup pepper
1/16 cup onion powder
1/16 cup garlic salt
sprinkle of cayenne pepper
sprinkle of johnys seasiong

Mix everything togther in mixing bowl and cover fish then place in frig. for 18 - 36 hours (covered) take out and place on smoker untill done

#160727 - 09/25/02 06:49 PM Re: Dry Brine for smoking fish
powerstrokincowb Offline
Smolt

Loc: Philly via Puyallup
I have used a recipe of 3 to 1 parts of white sugar and table salt, some garlic and onion powder, and black pepper. First brush the fillets with veg. oil, then put on enough sugar/salt that the oil does not wet out the mix. Then sprinkle with the garlic, onion and pepper. Put two fillets together, meat to meat, and wrap in plastic wrap, and refridgerate overnight. Be sure to put them in a pan though, because a lot of moisture comes out of the fish and your fridge will be a gooey mess. (Found out the hard way!) Rub the residual brine/spice mix evenly on the meat and smoke. It turned out pretty good.

A friend I know is getting me a recipe from an Alaskan fishing logde chef for a cold smoked salmon cured with apple cider and fresh rosemary sprigs. It sounds awesome, so I will post it as soon as I get it!

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1384 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |