Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#160964 - 09/28/02 02:34 AM egg cure help
hookedonjigs Offline
Alevin

Loc: Seattle
A question for all you egg cure guru's. I recently did some chinook eggs in borax only and have stored them in the fridge for a couple of weeks, they are still pretty moist. I would like to experiment with some chem cures and am wondering if it would ruin them at this point or would it work? I'm not looking to re-do the whole batch just a couple of containers.

"Fishing is medicine for the soul."

#160965 - 09/28/02 02:46 AM Re: egg cure help
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Steve, no offense but I'd never let my eggs sit in borax in the fridge for a couple of weeks... Actually I'd never put my eggs in borax. In my opinion once the eggs are fresh out of the fish, that's the best time to do the commercial cures, and make sure they're blood free....
Keith laugh

#160966 - 09/28/02 03:05 AM Re: egg cure help
hookedonjigs Offline
Alevin

No offense taken, I'm a newbie when it comes to curing eggs. I usually just use corkies and yarn with some scent and do fine. So are you saying they won't keep in the fridge and should be in the freezer?

"Fishing is medicine for the soul."

#160967 - 09/28/02 11:14 AM Re: egg cure help
egg goober Offline
Juvenille at Sea

straight borax sucks! on this website in the techniqes you will find a good cure for next time. under best egg cure. ive been using that cure for a long time and eggs turn out great. just remember to use die, not the cure. good luck!

#160968 - 09/28/02 11:16 AM Re: egg cure help
egg goober Offline
Juvenille at Sea

its under fishing tips.

#160969 - 09/28/02 05:21 PM Re: egg cure help
philpac33 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: offut lake/lacey
the latest technique i've been using is:
1. rinse and pat dry skeins
2. cut into baitsize clumps, lay skeinside down on paper towels
3. sprinkle with favorite commercial cure, rub into eggs very well, using rubber glove
4. in a separate container, mix 2 parts borax to 1 part sugar, mix well
5. drop baits into powdered mix, cover evenly, shake off excess and put into jars or baggies.
6. when jarring up baits, now is a good time to add scent to eggs, i prefer....well i have a favorite
7. let sit and juice will form
8. now it's up to you how long to let them sit in the juice, then drain, then lay out on drying rack( built a 2' x 3' screen for about $3). timing is crucial
9. when your baits are good and tacky either store them in a jar or a light sprinkling of borax will keep them from being real messy

#160970 - 09/29/02 12:28 AM Re: egg cure help
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
If you know your not going to use the eggs immediately, make sure to freeze them (after) cured (never before). That way they stay a bit fresher when the time come to pull them out and use them.
Keith laugh

#160971 - 09/30/02 08:30 PM Re: egg cure help
fish monger Offline
Returning Adult

A question I have about using eggs. What do you do with left over eggs after a day of fishing...especially in hot weather? Do they spoil after a while? Do they still work fine even after repeated freezing and thawing?

#160972 - 10/01/02 12:30 AM Re: egg cure help
egg goober Offline
Juvenille at Sea

fish monger,
ive found out that it works better to carry fewer baits with you. i use to carry a lot, and found out that i was just destroying them. just carry one or two skeins or less, depending on where you are fishing. keep a cooler in your car with spares just in case. one skein is usually overkill for my limit, but can vary. if you are in a boat keep them in a cooler.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Alpne Dan, bjcarpetguy, red river, westcoastdayton
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 217 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645379 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |