Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#161258 - 10/02/02 02:11 AM line winders/spoolers
jimglo Offline
Parr

Loc: Longview Washingtion
I have been looking into buying a line spooler becuase I am tired of having to go to the local fishing store and pay to have some one do it for me. So I got on line and looked for one and found that they are very expensive. I am now looking into building one from scratch. I was wondering if any of the anglers out there have made one themselves and have a tinplate or know where I can get one that is professional quality for under a $100? Any suggestions are welcome.

#161259 - 10/02/02 03:18 PM Re: line winders/spoolers
JSTEEL Offline
Fry

Loc: Kennewick, Wa. USA
Jimglo-

I have used the Berkley manual spooling station for the last 5 years and love it. It comes with a line stripper and you can buy one for under $25 at most sporting goods stores. I know you mentioned a powered one but I thought I would let you hear my .02.

JSTEEL :

#161260 - 10/02/02 03:21 PM Re: line winders/spoolers
BERKLEY BOY75 Offline
Spawner

Loc: AUBURN
i too got the berkley spooler, it works great for me..cheap too, better than trying to hold the spool on a stick between my legs, "nekked", defiinetly know what a fish feels like going thru those mono nets eek **berkley boy**

#161261 - 10/02/02 04:19 PM Re: line winders/spoolers
Kyle_A Offline
Spawner

I have the Berkley cheapy too. One point, make sure you unspool with a weight on once you're on the water and rewind with a good load on the reel. I lost a pig in Sekiu due to the line digging in on a reel I didn't load with enough tension.

#161262 - 10/02/02 06:44 PM Re: line winders/spoolers
jimglo Offline
Parr

Loc: Longview Washingtion
Thanks for the input. I am bent on making one just to see if I can do it now. I got a sewing machine motor and a peddel. Now I am trying to figure out how I will mount the motor and use a belt configuation for the reel and the what not. It is going to be challenging to find all the parts but as I said before I am bent.

#161263 - 10/03/02 03:25 PM Re: line winders/spoolers
SandyBanker Offline
Egg

Loc: PDX, OR
I made one out of a plank, a lower half of a pole I broke, a piece of threaded rod, a bunch of metal fender washers, a couple of nuts, and a couple of big thick rubber washers.

First I hacked off the old pole just above the first eye. Then I glued it on to the plank with some polyurethane adhesive I got for two bucks at home depot. (Hang the end over the edge of the plank so you can still attach a reel to it. If it has a long handle you can remove it too.) I bent the threaded rod into an "L" shape, drilled a hole in the plank, secured it with a couple of nuts and washers.
Then on the threaded rod I put on a nut, fender washer, rubber washer, fender washer, spool of line, fender washer, rubber washer, fender washer, nut in that order.
Tension on the spool is controlled by tightening one of the nuts on the threaded rod.
Put a reel on the pole, attach the line and reel away to fill it.
It's cheap, ain't glamorous, but it works.
Mike

#161264 - 10/03/02 08:31 PM Re: line winders/spoolers
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy Offline
Spawner

Loc: Enumclaw
Holy cow you guys are lazy.

My line spooler was free. Its called the yellow pages. Run your line through the big book, tie it around the spool, and start reelin. you dont need to worry much about tension, the book has ya covered.

Lazy lazy lazy....

#161265 - 10/04/02 12:00 AM Re: line winders/spoolers
Fish Jesus Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
My lazy a** also uses the Berkley! :p

Actually the best and least expensive way only involves a pencil and a dampened paper towel folded into a vee. The line should be set into the Vee and pressure applied while reeling. wink

Perfect tight loading! No heat!

FJ...out.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Chad Lee, fish_hunter, Grady 265, pimpinshrimp, Stew, xflyzguy
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (20 Gage, Krijack), 455 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |