THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#163433 - 10/28/02 12:46 PM Are chum really THAT bad?
fromcuthroattosteelies Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: olympia
I got greedy and took home a couple chum for the smoker this weekend. I've never kept a chum before because they look way to scary for my liking. My qustion is this: Are they okay barbequed. What about for the smoker. Mine are smoking at home right now and I'll decide whether or not to retain them after trying the smoked fish out tonignt. They weren't chrome bright either. They had those purple bars and huge teeth but the meat was still very firm (but more white than pink). What are your thoughts?

#163434 - 10/28/02 01:02 PM Re: Are chum really THAT bad?
Little Fish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, Washington
I've kept several in the past with some color, but without the huge teeth. Although I smoked them (and had people tell me it was the best smoked salmon they ever had) I've never thrown one on the BBQ. My experience has been the meat isn't as red as other salmon even when the fish are bright. I'd be interested in hearing what you think after you taste test the end product.
JMS

#163435 - 10/28/02 02:05 PM Re: Are chum really THAT bad?
philpac33 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: offut lake/lacey
i love chum!! not only do they average the second highest weight of our salmon species but in my opinion fight the hardest. on top of that they run in large numbers(if you're in the right spot at the right time) and will bite on relatively simple(and cheap) gear, which is a major plus since i tend to break off more than usual on these fierce fighters. i have tried them on the bbq and it wasn't that great but are my top choice for the smoker. as for the coloration of these fish, generally the closer to the tidewater you fish, the fresher they will be. i have taken several chum which i believed to be big, bright native silvers until landing them only then to notice the barely visible purple vertical stripes on the side. as a matter of fact, on saturday i saw a bunch of fresh chrome chum jumping a few miles from the green can off the nisqually. tip: bobber and herring(small).good luck!!

#163436 - 10/28/02 02:11 PM Re: Are chum really THAT bad?
Slab Quest Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Mukilteo or Westport
I've taken bright ones from the salt, immediately cleaned and iced them, then brined (where they get extra slimy) and smoked.

I'll never do it again, though. They are garbage compared to "real" salmon. I can't imagine keeping one from a river.

They are called dog salmon for a reason. Dog food is all they're good for.

#163437 - 10/28/02 02:22 PM Re: Are chum really THAT bad?
jeff'e'd Offline
Spawner

Loc: Snohomish, WA USA
I bbq'd a bright one and it tasted fine. It is a bit milder than a silver or a king. My sauce for the bbq is spicy and full of flavor, so that may explain why it tasted fine, atleast my guests thought so....

#163438 - 10/28/02 02:25 PM Re: Are chum really THAT bad?
Jersey Fresh Offline
Parr

Loc: Seattle, Washington
No problem at all smoking chums with some color to them. A little drier than some of the other species as the fat content can be lower, but still rather tasty.

Many folks all over the country eat bright chums- it is often the fish that many "chain" restaurants (like Denny's) serve for their salmon. Out here in the P. Northwest we are little spoiled in our taste for salmon due to the ability to get multiple species of fresh salmon from the water and markets.

#163439 - 10/28/02 03:32 PM Re: Are chum really THAT bad?
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Bend, WA
If you ever see smoked salmon advertised as 'Keta', that's chum salmon.

I think you can smoke just about anything and have it taste ok.

I tried river caught chum cooked a variety of ways, and smoked was OK, but the other ways just didn't do it for me. My dad liked it prepared all ways we tried.

Personally, all chummers go back in the water. Fun to catch, not so fun to eat. But that's just me. Same for pinks.

Also, I think a lot of fishing guides would like you to think Chums taste good and will happily give out several recipes. Of course if more people liked eating chum salmon, it would certainly help their guide business during November - so take their suggestions with a grain of salt (actully it will probably take a lot of salt...).

#163440 - 10/28/02 03:49 PM Re: Are chum really THAT bad?
Finegrain Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Woodinville, WA, USA
Is chum meat icky, or just bland?

If it's just bland, I could use it for more "fancied-up" salmon dishes like baked salmon in a sauce with sides.

If it's icky, you probably can't un-icky it.

I've read that you have to get chum bled, cleaned, and iced immediately for it to be any good.

Regards.

Finegrain
Woodinville

Finegrain
Woodinville

#163441 - 10/28/02 04:33 PM Re: Are chum really THAT bad?
devine Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Bremerton,WA
Cuttie,

No luck with the silvers????

Devine

#163442 - 10/28/02 04:53 PM Re: Are chum really THAT bad?
Slab Quest Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Mukilteo or Westport
Chum, dog, silverbrite, keta, it's all the same. Only $.99/lb at Safeway. They keep renaming the fish as a marketing ploy cuz nobody will knowingly buy it a second time.

I wonder why the plankton-eating sockeye (reds) are such excellent eating fish and the dogs, with the same diet, are such poor table fare.

I don't like pinks (humpies) either.

I also prefer male blackmouth (& kings) to female -- less mushy.

Hopefully, I'll get to cull through a few on friday. cool

I

#163443 - 10/28/02 05:01 PM Re: Are chum really THAT bad?
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Not much good on the BBQ........chrome ones are decent smokers.........olive and purple ones aren't much good for eating in any manner.

BUT, on the end of your line............they are FULL of pi$$ and vinegar. Definitely the toughest pacific salmon, pound for pound.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#163444 - 10/28/02 07:17 PM Re: Are chum really THAT bad?
larryb Offline
The Rainman

Loc: elma washington
great fighters best used for dog food

#163445 - 10/28/02 07:31 PM Re: Are chum really THAT bad?
takedown Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Bonney Lake Wa.
I have found the bucks , WHEN IN GOOD SHAPE TO BE EXCELLENT SMOKED!!! THOSE THAT SAY DIFFERENT MUST HAVE KEPT ROTTING CHUM OR DON"T KNOW HOW TO SMOKE FISH.

Be selective and you will be pleased with the results.

#163446 - 10/28/02 10:05 PM Re: Are chum really THAT bad?
Metalhead Mojo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Browns Point
if you cook them right they taste just like chicken eek

#163447 - 10/28/02 10:25 PM Re: Are chum really THAT bad?
UltimateFeashKacher Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: WA
i let them go now but BBQed a fresh one long ago and it was ok.

#163448 - 10/28/02 10:41 PM Re: Are chum really THAT bad?
bank walker Offline
Spawner

Brought home a silver bright Chum last fall from the Pen. First and last time i will ever keep one. Meat was a washed out pink, kinda like trout meat. If anything Chums and Pinks make alot of food for baby steelhead.

With a great hatchery summer run and decent silver run "cammo" fishies should be released. Anything tastes good smoked
"I have a fair idea of what to expect from the river, and usually, because I fish it that way, the river gives me approximately what I expect of it. But sooner or later something always comes up to change the set of my ways..."
- Roderick Haig-Brown

#163449 - 10/28/02 11:22 PM Re: Are chum really THAT bad?
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Nothing fight like a tail hooked chum! Accidentally of course. I like to see fish in spawning colors, and they are so uglyy that they are cool. A great fish for catch and release. The only only I kept was caught off of Johnson's point in August. Absolutely bright, poor meat compared to the alternatives.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#163450 - 10/29/02 12:45 AM Re: Are chum really THAT bad?
RockLizard Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Lakewood, WA
The first chum I caught, 2 years ago, was a chrome bright 12lber in the Nisqually. It was so bright that a couple of "experts" across the river from me were convinced it was an early steelie. When I held it just right in the light you could barely see the purple lines. I too often thought, how bad can it be...this fish looks perfect so I took it home.
One half of the fish went on my bbq with my best marinade, the other half went in the little chief with my best brine. The color of the meat was good, not cherry red, but a nice pink. The half on the bbq turned out so-so. Even with my favorite marinade it was bland at best. The half in smoker was just as good as anything else ever smoked. Since then the only chum Ive ever taken home was the first one my son caught...and that was mostly for bragging rights to mom. It was slightly colored but smoked fine.
If you got em in the freezer already ( and most folks do by this time of the year) probably best to let em swim.
Tight lines
RL

They can have my eggs when they pry em from cold dead hands

#163451 - 10/29/02 12:46 AM Re: Are chum really THAT bad?
RiverGal Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Tacoma, WA
Ugly??? I think chum are beautiful in their spawning colors. Not when they are totally dark and mush(all salmon are ugly then), but when they finally get their stripes I think they are the most beautiful out of all the salmon species. As for taste, never had one off the BBQ(heard they were no good for that), but smoked I think they are great. As has been said in this post already, be selective and you shouldn't have a problem.

#163452 - 10/29/02 01:06 AM Re: Are chum really THAT bad?
AkKings Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kelso Wa.
Me personally, I have yet to find a salmon (of any specie) that I care to eat, smoked or otherwise.

One thing I see alot of guiding in Ak. is that first timers want to keep them all (kings, silvers, pinks and chums) return guests for the most part just want kings and silvers, if they do keep pinks and chums they usually say thats the fish they give to family/friends.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Mr.Salmon, TheDude, WazzuKid
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 436 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645430 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |