Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#164365 - 11/06/02 11:13 PM clipped hooks
herm Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: hermanghardtke@yahoo.com
I have never caught or seen a fish caught with a hook in it (mouth or gut) that had been clipped off.

I have caught the same fish more than once but never one with a hook still in it.

Anybody else ever see one? confused

#164366 - 11/06/02 11:16 PM Re: clipped hooks
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
Lots ... unfortunately, some of the light-liners out our way like to just grab the leader and "pop-it" in the fish (bust the leader) ... leaving a pair of small hooks inside. Dozens every year ...

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#164367 - 11/06/02 11:20 PM Re: clipped hooks
spawnout Offline
Spawner

Loc: Satsop
If you mean have I ever caught a fish with a hook in it, yeah, tons, including a steelhead that had my hook in it from breaking me off earlier in the day, along with another hook that someone either left in him or cut off. I pull all 3 out and let him go laugh

Last year I caught a 19 pound coho at Buoy 10 with a whole anchovy and a 2 hook mooching rig in his belly. Looked like red gamis - your loss, my gain beer

#164368 - 11/06/02 11:32 PM Re: clipped hooks
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
SO's reply made think of a funny story:

Buddy and I are flyfishing a tail. He hooks a big fish and plays it for a few minutes before it breaks off ...

About an hour later. I hook a big fish. Tows me 1/2 mile downstream. Finally pull it into shore, a big buck of 25-26 pounds. I reach down to get the fly out and low and behold is my partner's fave pattern also stuck in the jaw.

I remove both flies and walk back up to the drift. Art asks if it was a biggun 'cuz I'd gone so far down with it. I said, yep, 42" or so. Paused for a moment and then said "Oh would you like your fly back??" and held it out to him.

He grabbed it and asked "Where'd you ...". I was grinning sheeplishly before he could go any further ... he took it and I took my place in the run up from him smile

If only ReiterRat had been there too to see the look on Art's face!! moose

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#164369 - 11/07/02 04:20 AM Re: clipped hooks
Fishstik Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: S.W. Washinton
once i was drift fishing bait and i must have jerked a half dozen times on what i swore to god was a fish, that bugger would rail me and i would come out my hip boots setting the hook, finally after an hour playing with this ghost biter i got the hook in em, and low and behold when i got em in the rocks he had his mouth wired shut with a pixie spoon and i actually hooked him in the beek.. beathead

#164370 - 11/07/02 11:54 AM Re: clipped hooks
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Bend, WA
I caught a trout this spring with line haning out his mouth and a small egg hook sticking out his a$$....

#164371 - 11/09/02 07:48 PM Re: clipped hooks
herm Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: hermanghardtke@yahoo.com
Thank you friends. ):

Herm

#164372 - 11/09/02 09:30 PM Re: clipped hooks
stilly bum Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: SnoCo
Twice. A few years ago on the north fork I caught about a 12lb native hen with a knotted leader hanging from her mouth. My hook wasn't in her mouth, it was tangled in the leader. The other fish was a big native buck on the Sauk. He came floating down past me, barely breathing. He had a large hook in the back of his throat with the leader broken or cut at his mouth. I tried to help him out but the last thing I saw was him drifting down river.

#164373 - 11/09/02 09:32 PM Re: clipped hooks
FishinSinsation Offline
Spawner

Loc: kenmore, wa
this year at the cowlitz doing a little summer run fishing, i hooked and landed this large bright steelhead, the guy who nettted the fish for me was like "psst... psst.. i wont tell" i went "tell what" and he's like your hook..(pointing at the fish)... i look at the fish and what do i see,,, a big PRONG stuck RIGHT INSIDE the mouth of the fish..

and yes.. the fish did "BITE" my hook the prong was stuck on both the top and the botton of the fishes mouth, my guess is that when the fish took my bait it also got the prong stuck on the top and bottom of his mouth, but yeah.. the other day i hooked a chum with my dads hook stuck in it from probably 2-3 days before i hooked it.. wink oh course that fish "Broke" him off...

Casey

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1351 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |