LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#168082 - 12/09/02 03:08 PM Does light spook the fish?
steel_fish Offline
Fry

Loc: Arlington
Ok, I was fishing the OP this weekend, the Bog to be specific. I was float fishing in the morning and it was still dark out. I had one of those head lamps on and was fishing about 20-25 feet off the shore. I shined my light on the float to see it when one guy across the river said I was spooking the fish. I disagree with this, since there was only 2-3 feet of vis in a hole 10-12 feet deep. Hey, I agree with him if the water is gin clear. I DID turn off the light so there would be no trouble and he thanked me. Curious what others think on this matter.

If there were no chickens...what would everything taste like?

#168083 - 12/09/02 03:43 PM Re: Does light spook the fish?
Old Man Offline
Spawner

Loc: Silver Star,Mt
Light is attracting to some fish. When you used to be able to fish of some of the old boat docks they would have underwater lights there to attract the fish. Also some streams have night closures. Yes lights do attract fish and I think it is illegal to use them in fresh water. huh

#168084 - 12/09/02 03:56 PM Re: Does light spook the fish?
steel_fish Offline
Fry

I was fishing at a legal time. I was using the light simply to see my float. Not as an attractor. Besides this guy said the light was spooking the fish. My head lamp is not powerul enough penetrate the water at that distance. So I guess I should have kept the light on and maybe I would of caught something. LOL hello

#168085 - 12/09/02 05:38 PM Re: Does light spook the fish?
wolf-eel Offline
Parr

Loc: Port Orchard
Hard to see in the dark without a light. How was this other guy able to see his line?.
I've never fished any rivers in the dark, had to wait till I could see my line and where I'm casting. I wouldn't think a head light would spook the fish but what do I know. slap

#168086 - 12/09/02 08:29 PM Re: Does light spook the fish?
steel_fish Offline
Fry

My thoughts exactly... beathead

#168087 - 12/09/02 08:43 PM Re: Does light spook the fish?
ROCKFISH Offline
Spawner

Loc: manchester,Wa
about to get a ultra violet led light. my friend who makes them gets the bulbs from korea and they are not bright so they dont scare fish but they can make your glow in the dark baits real bright real fast without the fish scarin camera flash. just dont look into the light its not good for your eyes.

lights small enough to wear around your neck on a chain, try a led light in your head lamp. it doesn't scare fish away.

#168088 - 12/09/02 08:52 PM Re: Does light spook the fish?
steel_fish Offline
Fry

Thats a great idea. Like the ones they use in cars headlights now?

#168089 - 12/09/02 08:52 PM Re: Does light spook the fish?
KingFisher85 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Amboy Wa
I don't think that the light spooks the fish. Night fishing for trout in small creeks we would shine the light on the creek were I bait is and watch the fish swarm it.
Just my 2 cents
How to fix a gun-- Take it apart--Put it back together--Hide extra parts~~~

#168090 - 12/09/02 08:54 PM Re: Does light spook the fish?
Fishstik Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: S.W. Washinton
when i was a kid we used to put a shoplite on the river, i mean like on a rock shinning in the river and watch the fall fish at night shoot buy, it never stopped them or looked like it bothered them, and it seemed every other night a steelhead would come to rest in the light until it got railroaded by some chinook shooting buy. The best night my fishing buddy had at a night fishery for steelhead is when he dropped his maglite overboard and it shinned straight up at him all night, he caught 4 fish???

#168091 - 12/09/02 11:00 PM Re: Does light spook the fish?
spawnout Offline
Spawner

Loc: Satsop
Well, I know a flashlight sure spooks the hell out of a hooked fish eek I used to glowball the Cow a lot and, and whenever one of us would wear a fish down enough to bring it to the net we would get out the flashlight so we could see what we were doing, and when that light would hit the fish he would just go ape shait beer

#168092 - 12/10/02 01:55 AM Re: Does light spook the fish?
DrifterWA Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
I used to fish close to a guy that said "light's, white hats, light colored shirts", will scare the fish and stop them from biting........have found that NOT to be true....we even have a jet boat go thur the hole to "stir" the steelhead up. Many times someone will have a fish in just a few minutes...

"worse day sport fishing, still better that the best day working"

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#168093 - 12/11/02 01:55 AM Re: Does light spook the fish?
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
While I've never tried to see how they react here, while we're on vacation, we're often checking water levels at night on our camp gauge and it so happens that a lot of fish like to lay near the gauge after coming throiugh a riffle below. From their reaction of having a light hit the water suddenly ... they don't like it, long gone!

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
mtpar, philpac33, SpringerBouy, TinMan95
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (Carcassman, DrifterWA, 1 invisible), 333 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13524
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63780 Topics
645389 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |