LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#168320 - 12/11/02 01:16 AM N.W. Indian Fish Assoc,Ignores Questions?
Gottagofish Offline
Fry

Loc: Seattle
I recently read an article from the N.W. Indian Fisheries Assoc that was regarding the enforcement of the tribal fisheries and how well that they monitor and enforce all the regulations and do not allow for any illegal activities during their numerous net fisheries state wide. So i thought it would be interesting to find out just how many incidents/contacts/citations seizures that have been reported over the past few years for some of the major tribes in the state. I have requested numerous times any info that shows even one ticket given to any tribal member on any tribal fishery in the state. I have been 100% ignored by every tribal fishery that i have contacted. I am curious if it is possible that the tribes even write citations at all to illegal fisherman and their practices. I know that it is not realistic that no tribal members break the law during a net fishery. I am just curious as to why I cant get any info at all that would put a good light on how well the tribes enforce the laws and protect the resource. Just a thought?????

#168321 - 12/11/02 03:04 AM Re: N.W. Indian Fish Assoc,Ignores Questions?
MJ Offline
Smolt

Loc: Poulsbo, WA
They are a sovereign nation would be the easiest answer. The most likely reason is they have no clue how many they wrote. Or another reason might be that they sure don't want the general public to see how few tickets were written, bad for PR. In any case, they could careless if you want the information. Besides, you should trust them, they are the guardians of the salmon, and it has ritual significance. Atleast that is what we are told. Well pardon me as I trip over the gutted and discarded "ritual salmon". My final answer is; you'll get the information when pigs fly. beer

#168322 - 12/11/02 01:34 PM Re: N.W. Indian Fish Assoc,Ignores Questions?
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

I know that some tribes have issued citations for illegal fishing in years past, and the cases have ended up in tribal courts. I don't have any recent information.

I speculate that you don't hear back from any tribe about this because they view it as a no-win situation, along with regarding it as none of your business. If a tribe issues few citations, they will be perceived as slack on enforcement. If a tribe has issued many citations, then they're condemmed for having a bunch of fish poachers. It's unlikely any good can come to a tribe by releasing this information to an unknown person. Again this is speculation, but it's how I'd view it if I were them.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Al Gore, czer, Robb92, wallyw
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1155 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645406 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |