Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#168472 - 12/11/02 10:11 PM egg curing question
bluenote Offline
Smolt

Loc: cloud 9
I finally got the chance to try out Bob's recipe for "world's best eggs" but I just want to make sure I'm doing it right...

After the 30 mins in the brine, what should the texture of the skein be like? I couldnt tell if I overdid it or not...and I followed the recipe almost to the t

Lastly, how big a hunk should I be cutting the skein up into? I've heard to just quarter them but also have heard to cut the skein in 2 (butterfly style) and then quarter.

what

#168473 - 12/11/02 10:15 PM Re: egg curing question
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
Eggs should be firm when they come out. I usually just butterfly mine and cut into bait sized hunks later.

A word of caution, I've had several folks email that have used the commerical grade borax and they've turned hard. If you use the fine powder borax, cut your cure time in half!

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#168474 - 12/11/02 10:48 PM Re: egg curing question
bluenote Offline
Smolt

Bob,

I was using "20 Mule Team" brand of Borax that I got from the grocery store. Its a pretty fine powder.

They were firm when they came out but how do you know if they're overdone? Do they get hard like dried peas? Fortuneatly, I pulled them out before that point.

#168475 - 12/11/02 11:04 PM Re: egg curing question
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
The 20 Mule Team is the variety that is usually used in the recipe ... it's not near as fine as the type you often find at bait stores. I don't really know why, but they seem to have different drying qualities.

If they seem too firm with the amount of time you did the first batch at, cut the time back a little next time around wink

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#168476 - 12/11/02 11:10 PM Re: egg curing question
bluenote Offline
Smolt

As with anything I guess, a few tries and some patience and I imagine I'll get the feel for it.

one last thing, is it better to add some scent to the mix before curing or to the finished product when baiting up?

thanks for the help Bob!

#168477 - 12/12/02 10:41 AM Re: egg curing question
cohoangler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Vancouver, Washington
Bluenote - Anymore questions and Big Bob is going to send you a bill! wink wink

I generally add scent to my eggs after they're cured but before I use them. I generally squirt each chunk of cured egg skien with shrimp or anise oil. I let them soak for a hour or so and then put them in a Mason jar and vacum seal it. I leave them in the fridg for a day or two to allow the oil to penetrate the eggs. I then use them or toss them in the freezer.

But I also know some folks add scent to the sugar/salt/borax curing solution. Either way will work but adding scent to the curing solution will stink up your kitchen pretty effectivily.....

#168478 - 12/12/02 08:11 PM Re: egg curing question
eggho Offline
Alevin

Loc: SW Wash/NW Ore
Bluenote, I suggest you don't add scents to the brine cures. That way it allows for trying different ones added out on the river until you match the bite mood that day. Put bait oils right on the eggs and some on the yarn and they will stay on effectively. You can reapply more about every third cast or so to freshen up the bait. I think that's better than adding it during the curing process, with either brine or powdered commercial cures such as Pro Glow or Pro Cure.

As for over staying them in the brine too long to make the eggs too hard I suggest cutting down the time in the brine like Bob said, so they retain more softness and milking ability. Then the day before you use them you can dry them harder for fast water use or leave them moist for slow water use. my .02

#168479 - 12/12/02 08:24 PM Re: egg curing question
RiverLiver Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma, WA,
I would suggest that you do not add any scent Oils, as the oil causes the to break down and not fish as well. The beer scents without oil will not do that.

#168480 - 12/13/02 02:17 AM Re: egg curing question
Stew Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Extreme Left of Center
Good tip "eggho" hello

#168481 - 12/13/02 03:35 PM Re: egg curing question
eggho Offline
Alevin

Loc: SW Wash/NW Ore
Yes, Stew, that was an awesome tip!

I in fact, have loads of awesome tips to share. The problem is, most were suggested by somebody else, but I like to take credit for them.
beathead

"This is a private e-mailing. I legally request it to be kept that way; thus public revelation or forwarding will bring legal recourse."

Usually, that means I'll threaten to kick your a#@, or at least send someone else to. eek

#168482 - 12/13/02 10:42 PM Re: egg curing question
Timber Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Stumpy Acres
Good one RT!! your back again??????

#168483 - 12/13/02 10:51 PM Re: egg curing question
bluenote Offline
Smolt

thanks for the advice...since I dont catch fish a whole lot, I thought it best to make sure my bait is close to being right...one less variable.

I thought adding scent later made more sense as well...must have been a brain fart wanting to add scent to the cure.

gook luck to all and thanks again!

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
mtpar, philpac33, SpringerBouy, TinMan95
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (wolverine), 722 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13524
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63780 Topics
645386 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |