Yo,

I don't know the particulars, and there's not any good contact information in the article, but here's what I've got...

An acquaintance of mine gave me a newspaper from PCC Natural Markets, and it had an article in it about a wholesale fish dealer based in New Hampshire called Eco-Fish.

According to the article, Eco-Fish only deals in fish that are caught in what are deemed "sustainable fisheries".

They have a volunteer panel that looks at factors such as population status, level of bycatch, and environmentally friendly harvesting practices.

Most of their suppliers are smaller hook-and-line operations, who reportedly have around 1% bycatch, which seems pretty reasonable compared to the 200% bycatch going on right now in the Columbia River springer tangle net fishery. They also work with three fish farms; catfish from Arkansas, trout from Idaho, and tilapia from Ecuador, all of which on shorebound contained farms that don't use hormones or antibiotics.

Lastly, the article says that Eco-Fish plans to donate 25% of its pretax profits to conservation efforts.

I have to assume that buying fish with the Eco-Fish label would be more expensive, but it seems that if their claims are true, it's probably worth it.

Has anyone else heard of Eco-Fish before? I'm going to do a bit more digging and report back here. Maybe this could be an option to present to seafood managers when we approach them with concerns about the sources of their products.

Fish on...

Todd.

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle