LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#173610 - 03/10/06 07:37 PM Comrade Gregoire wants to really make a change!
Rory Bellows Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Third stone from the sun

#173611 - 03/10/06 07:58 PM Re: Comrade Gregoire wants to really make a change!
Chuck E Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula
Are you bummed Rory?
Seriously, this kind of thing is really bs. Spending public money for anything other than typical health care is not right. I hope somebody gets seriously slapped down for this. Yea right - like that will happen.......

#173613 - 03/10/06 11:20 PM Re: Comrade Gregoire wants to really make a change!
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: U.S. Army
Does medicaid or medicare cover prostetics for people missing limbs? Or false teeth? Or glasses?

#173614 - 03/10/06 11:51 PM Re: Comrade Gregoire wants to really make a change!
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
"Hey, I wonder what happened to those unaccounted-for billions in Iraq."

"But first, we'd better dig to the bottom of this sex-change business.........."

No wonder Congress' approval rating is in the dumper.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#173615 - 03/11/06 02:36 PM Re: Comrade Gregoire wants to really make a change!
JigHead Offline
Parr

Loc: North Sound
Exactly Dan! I believe they are "missing" about $9 Billion ,(with a B). Not counting the endless waste over there every day, in lives, as well as money we borrow from China. Good thing Bill Frist is spending time on new flag burning and gay marraige legislation.

#173616 - 03/13/06 04:41 PM Re: Comrade Gregoire wants to really make a change!
GutZ Offline
The Original Boat Ho

Loc: Bellevue
So what you are saying is these expenditures are legitimate because we are at war in Iraq? I really don't see the connection?

#173617 - 03/13/06 04:49 PM Re: Comrade Gregoire wants to really make a change!
JigHead Offline
Parr

Loc: North Sound
No, misappropriated funds should always be investigated. However, why prioritze a drop in the bucket? This is just a "hot-button" wedge issue that is easy to expoit for political gain.

#173619 - 03/13/06 04:51 PM Re: Comrade Gregoire wants to really make a change!
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Why snivel about wasting tens of thousands, when we can't locate several billion?

It's like whining about a nosebleed while you're bleeding from your femoral artery.

Nobody said the expenditures were legit......but it's not surprising that this caught Rory's eye while the missing billions seem to cause him no concern at all.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#173621 - 03/15/06 07:57 PM Re: Comrade Gregoire wants to really make a change!
Rory Bellows Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Third stone from the sun
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/262816_sexchange14.html

Sex changes through the state a go again after policy reversal

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

By CHRIS MCGANN
P-I CAPITOL CORRESPONDENT

OLYMPIA -- The Legislature is having trouble coming to terms with its feelings about taxpayer-financed sex-change operations.

Earlier this year lawmakers added a line to the budget to end the policy when reports based on a 2004 Medicaid audit revealed the state had paid for a sex-change operation and other questionable procedures such as penile implants.

The amendment, which read "no funds ... shall be expended upon gender reassignment surgery or treatment," passed with broad bipartisan support in the House and Senate, and supporters thought the matter had been resolved.

But as the Legislature adjourned last week, leading Democrats beathead reversed themselves and axed the line when they met in a conference committee, which was closed to the public, to reconcile the details of their budget proposals.

House Appropriations Chairwoman Helen Sommers, D-Seattle, said the committee struck the amendment because it may have prohibited surgery for infants born with both male and female reproductive organs.

"That's more common than I thought," Sommers said. "I don't think we should be doing any gender surgery other than that, but I do think that this is appropriate."

Sommers said she was aware the state had paid for sex-change operations in the past.

"I don't think that's appropriate," she said.

Rep. Jim Clements, R-Selah, sponsored the amendment to the House budget.

He said he was disappointed this policy decision had been made in a committee that is not open to the public.

"I'm not going to argue if it's good or bad," Clements said. "Just make (the process) transparent so we can fairly debate these issues, not just let them die in a conference committee."

Clements said if Democratic leaders were concerned about hermaphrodite children, they could have rewritten the amendment to allow surgical intervention in those cases.

As it stands, the state could still use tax dollars for adult sex changes covered by Medicaid, the federal-state program that pays for health care for needy people.

State Medicaid Director Doug Porter has dismissed the sex-change surgery as a sensational issue that has very little effect on the agency.

"We're talking about a handful of people over a long period of time," Porter said.

In 2003 the department changed its approval policy for sex-change operations because the medical community determined medication and psychotherapy were as effective as surgery to treat the condition.

Now the agency insists patients try less costly and less severe interventions before it would approve a sex-change operation.

Clements said the 2004 Medicaid report highlighted many other issues including unauthorized cosmetic surgeries, health services provided for illegal aliens and other apparently fraudulent claims.

"I find it rather disconcerting," Clements said. "My attitude is, and I've said this to (Gov.) Christine Gregoire, you either get a hold of that agency or you're going to have a huge scandal on your hands."

Clements' prediction has already been realized on at least one count.

Last week, U.S. Sen. Charles Grassley, R-Iowa, chairman of the Senate Finance Committee, launched a federal inquiry into the state's Medicaid expenditures.

Gregoire responded to Grassley, saying in a letter Friday that a review of the expenditures in question showed they were allowed by the Medicaid program.

Jason Mercier, a budget analyst at the conservative think tank the Evergreen Freedom Foundation, said striking the amendment banning taxpayer-funded sex changes sends the wrong message to voters.

"It was odd timing," he said. The Legislature "passed this proviso in both bodies to address a problem that they knew was going to get Congress' attention and then they stripped it from their final budget."

#173622 - 03/16/06 02:40 PM Re: Comrade Gregoire wants to really make a change!
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Rory,

Come on, man! Have you got any functioning brain cells beyond the capacity to cut and paste? Why did you post this piece? Seeking National Enquirer style sensationalism yet again? Read what you post. It doesn't look like the gov't is actually funding much - if any - sex change operations. Rep. Sommers made a good point regarding infants with sex anomolies at birth. Do you want those conditions covered or not? And why? And Aunty M makes a compelling case for boob and penile implants, given most peoples' obsession with them. What's your take - and why? If you're never going to say anything intelligent, please do the favor of just disappearing again.

And what the heck does your post have to do with "comrade" Gregoire besides her appointing the DSHS Director?

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

#173623 - 03/16/06 02:55 PM Re: Comrade Gregoire wants to really make a change!
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

Rory is obsessing about sex changing.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Schmidtm, schmidty, Spinhead
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 903 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |