Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#396294 - 12/13/07 11:49 PM Lets Clearcut Everything to Maximize Profits
Steelheadman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo, WA,USA
Bunch of Greedy developers. Al Gore please save the planet! Overharvest of trees is killing our rivers. Bush is destroying our fishing habitat!

Check out how they're screwing up the Chehalis watershed. Check out the second picture, http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.co...m&date=20071209

#396298 - 12/14/07 12:04 AM Re: Lets Clearcut Everything to Maximize Profits [Re: Steelheadman]
lovetofish365 Offline
Hahahaha haha ha

Loc: Silverdale WA
the title of you topic is truly how i have been feeling

people just do not realize what we are doing to the enviorment...
its just not right...

you just cant take and take and take, and do nothing about it...
it will be too late soon...and we will figure that out like we figure
everything else out too late...
the problem is is that we already know that what people are doing is
wrong, but no seams to care...heartbreaking...c

#396399 - 12/14/07 08:39 AM Re: Lets Clearcut Everything to Maximize Profits [Re: ]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
If you want to blame somebody or something, blame the governmental group that has oversight on those kind of projects. Most companies are going to harvest up to the legal amount, some will harvest more because the legal ramifications are less than the profit.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#396401 - 12/14/07 09:26 AM Re: Lets Clearcut Everything to Maximize Profits [Re: Jerry Garcia]
Timber Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Stumpy Acres
 Originally Posted By: Jerry Garcia
If you want to blame somebody or something, blame the governmental group that has oversight on those kind of projects. Most companies are going to harvest up to the legal amount, some will harvest more because the legal ramifications are less than the profit.

It doesnt work like that Jerry...Once there is a cutting permit released thats that...These lands are looked at from airphotos or now satilite they are very rarely walked by the peeps giving out the permits...I contracted for Simpson for many years and they do go the extra mile on there own to make sure they are enviro friendly..Dont listen to Wey. Co. stupid comercials on TV that they are enviro. friendly because they are the rapers and pillagers...Logging will never stop no matter what as long as there building like they are nor can all the blame be put on loggers if you people dont realize that the new housing developments and strip malls are a huge problem then you got problems...Remember these areas were logged before and there was sufficient drainage back then but guess what where this water use to drain is all paved now..Go back and look at stats on the amount of timber harvested nowadays vs 20 years ago its mind blowing how its been cut back...

Jake-I havent worked much in the industry since 01.....

#396406 - 12/14/07 10:11 AM Re: Lets Clearcut Everything to Maximize Profits [Re: ]
Timber Offline
River Nutrients

How about thinking about it like this 'Supply and Demand' If there isnt a demand from John Q. Public then there is no need for supply...

yes yes there is timber exported but very little anymore..
Let me ask you all a question-Do you wonder why schools are being closed even when we dont have enough now? Lets talk a little about State and forest service land...The export of this timber and a far share of the export tax on private timber use to go to our schools...Now what? They have to close schools because there is very little of state or forest service land logged now...
Everyone keeps talking about watersheds well let me tell you this most of our watersheds are private land...Not state or federal...Buy them out? well thats an option but the state and feds offer pennies on the dollar for the land....Ask yourself this would you sell your home for pennies on the dollar?
Its like plumb creek timber which is a burlington northern railroad or government gave them every square mile checkerboard across the US guess what they do now? rape the land as bad as Wey.Co. does not only that but both companies doent even need to get a permit before the start the state has gave them the power to assess the land and do it on there own..

either way our children will suffer from what we do today but its the big picture you all theres not just one thing to blame....

#396422 - 12/14/07 11:36 AM Re: Lets Clearcut Everything to Maximize Profits [Re: ]
Irie Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: South Sound
 Originally Posted By: AuntyM
 Quote:
Remember these areas were logged before and there was sufficient drainage back then but guess what where this water use to drain is all paved now..

Interesting point Kev, and I think the two cities and Lewis County are going to try and use logging to deflect as much responsibility as they can.

YOU know what it's like to live in an economically depressed community, so I don't have to tell you how important decent paying jobs and modern homes are to John Q. Public. It's called growth. It isn't that people don't care, it's that people have an expectation for a better life and they demand their local governments facilitate the process.

Unless you folks can figure out how to keep the birthrate down and prevent new residents from moving here, this kind of thing is going to keep happening, year after year.

That's exactly right, however it's solely the fault--SOLELY--of the local Lewis County and Twin Cities gov'ts and it can't be denied. I don't thiink the Lewis County Gov'ts will attempt to blame logging. The local hillbillies would tar & feather them for being Environmental Communists.
Loser County has that BS "It provides jobs" line that greedy officials use to facilitate their "any profit at any cost" mentality. That's the mentality down there--No one cares about what's tomorrow because Billy Bob is making a dollar today, and they are so low class down there a dollar is still an ass-load of money.

80% at or below the poverty level. Appalachia West. Come and see what generations of ingrained Conservativism can do for you. When I was a kid there, there were other kids at school who's parents couldn't even afford them socks and in some cases even bath water.

Night before last I saw a guy I used to party with on the TV with the same old stupid look on his face pointing to his washed out mobile home and saying "I durn near lost everything." Well, I was hanging out with that idiot during the flood of '96 and I can tell you he knows as well as I do where the flood water goes when The Chehalis floods. I'm guessing he got a heck of a deal on that mobile home out there in Doty.

#396433 - 12/14/07 12:03 PM Re: Lets Clearcut Everything to Maximize Profits [Re: ]
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

Plus of you build in a flood plain you might get wet. I think the solution is to tie flood events to children. If we "allow" flooding then we will be hurting the children.

#396436 - 12/14/07 12:08 PM Re: Lets Clearcut Everything to Maximize Profits [Re: ]
Irie Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: South Sound
 Originally Posted By: AuntyM
You kinda made my point when you discuss the economics and it being so poor.

Hence the quotation. \:\)

Dikes and levies only add to bottlenecking of flood waters, backing it further up where the floods didn't used to reach and provide a false sense of security that allows some knuckleheads to put up houses right next to rivers.

Edited by Irie (12/14/07 12:10 PM)

#396450 - 12/14/07 12:50 PM Re: Lets Clearcut Everything to Maximize Profits [Re: ]
Coho Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Muk
he who dies with the most toys_still dies

#396461 - 12/14/07 01:30 PM Re: Lets Clearcut Everything to Maximize Profits [Re: Coho]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
 Quote:
kill as many people we don't like as quickly as we can

Why should we kill them quickly instead of slowly and painfully?

Ohhhh...........never mind. I get it now.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#396478 - 12/14/07 02:02 PM Re: Lets Clearcut Everything to Maximize Profits [Re: ]
VHawk. Offline
River Nutrients

If slowing down the clear cutting means more in taxes so that schools stay open that need to be open, then so be it. If taking the bulldozer to a couple of Snake river dams mean more in taxes to subsidize wind farms, new updated coal plants, and yes even nuclear plants, I say do it. And if asking timber companies to change their logging practices to help keep soils intact, and watersheds from turning into mudpits, I'll pay more. Why? Because doing whats economically expedient, what is most palatable to the chamber of commerce, will mean giving up quality of life. I don't want to do that.

I'd rather be making 65k a year living a couple hours away from anywhere on the Washington coast, than making 150k a year living in the middle of Los Angeles. If people want to Californicate the west end of this state, just keep cutting, and keep paving over the soils. Won't be long till we're the Northern Republic of La Habra.

And for once, in of all the posts possible, I almost completely agree with timber. Gov oversight is responsible for letting the timber companies go hog wild. Simpson cuts a lot of acreage on public land in Idaho. I never see the plowed up, torn up clear cuts there, like I do here.

Here's a thought, if Weyerhouser created an unsafe condition by the way they managed the cutting, and that can be directly proven to have led to landslides, debris dams, and flash flooding which caused property damage and loss of life downstream, can they be held civilly and criminally liable?

#396568 - 12/14/07 04:19 PM Re: Lets Clearcut Everything to Maximize Profits [Re: VHawk.]
Timber Offline
River Nutrients

Quote:
if Weyerhouser created an unsafe condition by the way they managed the cutting, and that can be directly proven to have led to landslides, debris dams, and flash flooding which caused property damage and loss of life downstream, can they be held civilly and criminally liable

It will never happen hows going to say "you were wrong in your doings" with when they gave them to power to assess it on there own? Nobody because the richness outweighs the what the criminal outcome would be.. To many dollars to many dollars!!!

Its a tough nut to crack....The affects could be mind boggling if they were to shut off logging all together...

What I dont understand is why alot of you start at the bottom of the food chain with blame..Go to the root of it all! Its about demand!!! If you had a company and had a product that was in demand would you shut down????

#396569 - 12/14/07 04:19 PM Re: Lets Clearcut Everything to Maximize Profits [Re: VHawk.]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Vince,

Weyerhauser can afford a legal dream team compared to the state DNR. That's relevant because DNR has paid off twice in out of court settlements in Skagit County for mudslides that originated from clear cuts and logging roads owned and permitted by DNR. If timber companies had to just once, come down and scoop up all their soil that is washed downstream and carry it back to their private property, that would put an end to irresponsible forestry. However it would also put an end to any forestry on sloping ground, which is the majority of all forests, thereby putting an end to the vast majority of all economic growth in WA. Up to a point that enhances quality of life, and thereafter adversely affects everyone's quality of life. You see, if there were an easy solution, we would have invoked it by now. There isn't. And society is averse to making hard choices. So it's easier to cut and run. And develop floodways. And then become the victims of the default choices that we've collectively made. Pretty damn depressing, huh?

Sg

#396584 - 12/14/07 04:46 PM Re: Lets Clearcut Everything to Maximize Profits [Re: Salmo g.]
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Gold Bar
Do logging companies donate money to campaign contributions?

#396644 - 12/14/07 08:26 PM Re: Lets Clearcut Everything to Maximize Profits [Re: Dave D]
Makai Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Totten Inlet
Do not forget that this was more than a 100 year event, or at least that is what the talk is around work.
It is easy to point fingers at the logging community as they have had a poor enviornmental record in the past in our state, but our new regulations have kept most operators in check during the past ten years.
The state and private industry ( I cannot speak for the USFS) are harvesting timber today under more restricted enviornmental conditions than ever before. "Most" companies in the private sector I have dealt with have their own "HCP" as well as the state and do not want to screw it up.
My area was hit hard, and now a week later we are already back in business in some of the area. Some roads may take years to fix, and some of the damage makes me sick. The money from the timber I put up goes to our schools, prisons, and counties in this state and I am proud of that. We leave large buffers along our streams, and another 8 trees per acre throughout the cut. We also do not operate during the wet season, as to keep the sediments out of the streams. We did not have one slide on the ground I work on, but we did lose roads and bridges due to the increased water flow from the "rain on snow " event.
Are we harvesting to much? Maybe.

Are we using the best science we have today to keep harvesting? Yes.

Should you build a new Wal-Mart and Home Depot in a flood plain to save a twenty minute drive to Olympia? No.

Could we have predicted that 8 inches of rain would fall on 16 inches of snow in a twenty four hour period, and how it would effect the communities in which we live? No.

I do not think we can put blame on clear cuts for what happened.
Did it play a part? Maybe.

#396651 - 12/14/07 09:11 PM Re: Lets Clearcut Everything to Maximize Profits [Re: Makai]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Even if not one single tree were cut in western Washington between now and 2020, we'd still have the last 125 years worth of mess to clean up...the regulations are significantly tougher than they have been in the past, to be sure, but 99% of the damage was done long before those "tougher" standards were ever even a gleam in some politician's eye...

Passing new standards doesn't clean up the existing century+ of poor logging practices.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#396653 - 12/14/07 09:15 PM Re: Lets Clearcut Everything to Maximize Profits [Re: Makai]
VHawk. Offline
River Nutrients

Quote:
We did not have one slide on the ground I work on

Why not? Was it an accident that you had no slides on the ground you worked on? Or was there something done differently that kept the ground from sliding off? You should be proud of your stewardship.

If I gave the impression I wanted all logging to stop, then my intentions were poorly conveyed by my writing. I'm frustrated that there isn't a better way to harvest timber. That's a different thing altogether.

#396668 - 12/14/07 09:45 PM Re: Lets Clearcut Everything to Maximize Profits [Re: VHawk.]
Makai Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Totten Inlet
Maybe we were just lucky, or maybe it is how we go about things that kept us from having any slides.
While I can say that I am proud of the work I do when it is complete, I cannot say I agree with the amount of cutting that is still going on today.
99% of the damage was done prior to the new regulations,. I agree with that statement. The whole skok drainage is a wonderful example of past logging practices.

I cannot change what was done in the past, but I will continue the work we are doing now knowing that we are trying the best we can to protect our resources and still provide revenue to the citizens of this state.

#396683 - 12/14/07 10:40 PM Re: Lets Clearcut Everything to Maximize Profits [Re: Makai]
Timber Offline
River Nutrients

Loggers arent out to ruin everyones life is this understood?....

#396691 - 12/14/07 11:00 PM Re: Lets Clearcut Everything to Maximize Profits [Re: Timber]
Timber Offline
River Nutrients

These will work but only on ground that permits...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1442 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |