Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#438062 - 06/07/08 09:51 PM Neighborly firewood thieves
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

I was probably asking for it though. I went out to my property today to see if the State electrical inspector has checked and passed the temporary electrical service panel I've been working on from time to time. It passed! Yea, I'm a handyman electrician of sorts, but it did take two inspections to get it done. Anyway, mindful of Strikezone's recent chainsaw accident, I thought I'd get a little exercise and cut some more firewood. Well what to my wondering eyes, . . . but my wood pile has shrunk! The whole front row of wood is gone, along with some off the top, . . . probably why the tarp is laying on the ground behind the wood pile. Since it's not possible to back a truck up to my wood pile I thought it was relatively safe, except from the punks next door who wouldn't take more than they can carry. Dang, it's a good thing I don't carry. I've got such a strong attitude about thieving and such that I'd probably do something they'd regret if I caught someone pilfering a few sticks of firewood.

Sg

#438064 - 06/07/08 10:02 PM Re: Neighborly firewood thieves [Re: Salmo g.]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
Don't worry, they'll be back to get the rest.....I feel the same way about the free loading leeches.

#438065 - 06/07/08 10:03 PM Re: Neighborly firewood thieves [Re: ParaLeaks]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Bummer.

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#438083 - 06/07/08 11:11 PM Re: Neighborly firewood thieves [Re: Todd]
Irie Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: South Sound
Just be happy they didnt rip up all your electrical work and sell it as scrap.

#438086 - 06/08/08 12:16 AM Re: Neighborly firewood thieves [Re: Irie]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Invest in a trail camera. About $150. screw it to a tree, set it on infrared, block out all of the little lights with tape, and wait. Check the card, print pics, take them to the neighbors and say, "If you don't replace the firewood, I'll turn this in."

Worked when I had a miscreant snooping on my property. He hasn't been back.

We're just starting a build project as well. (Actually started it a year ago but took a year to get a DOT permit for utilities).

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#438087 - 06/08/08 12:17 AM Re: Neighborly firewood thieves [Re: Irie]
Magicfly Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Pasco Bulldog country
They'll be after your copper next.

Mf

"Go hard, today Can't worry the past, coz that yesterday". GO COUGS!!!

#438090 - 06/08/08 12:36 AM Re: Neighborly firewood thieves [Re: Magicfly]
Brewer Offline

Loc: in the mass production zone
set a pessure release grenade.... " hey darrel you got enough.... huh yea man... jethro here hold your arms like this, just two more, BOOOOOOM!!!!! spinters in the kidneys outa fixem....

#438103 - 06/08/08 03:17 AM Re: Neighborly firewood thieves [Re: ]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

paint the end of the wood with a small dot and face it to the back of the pile. By the time they notice the paint, they will have too much to hide it. take some pics too.

Edited by Lead Bouncer (06/08/08 03:18 AM)

#438116 - 06/08/08 09:45 AM Re: Neighborly firewood thieves [Re: Fast and Furious]
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: IDAHO
Right now firewood split and stacked, not delivered.. is 200.00 bucks a cord. I expect that to sky rocket by fall. Bet the old wood pile is looking pretty good to the avg tweaker right now.

#438117 - 06/08/08 09:45 AM Re: Neighborly firewood thieves [Re: Fast and Furious]
r2fishn Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: tacoma
It has been unusually chilly lately. wink

#438160 - 06/08/08 04:43 PM Re: Neighborly firewood thieves [Re: r2fishn]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Liberal as I am about a lot of things, I seem to register empty in compassion for thieves. I don't think there is any effective way to get them to stop stealing short of lethal removal from the populations. It seems kinda' strange, but I've always felt completely at ease with that kind of outcome. Sort of a population improvement strategy.

Since I'm too young to spend the rest of my life in jail for doing the right thing, where do I find one of these trail cameras DF? We're more than a little concerned that once we break ground, and before the garage is enclosed (where I hope to store and secure tools and building materials), that anything the various sub-contractors leave laying about is going to be vulnerable to theft. Video surveilance might be just the ticket.

Sg

#438168 - 06/08/08 05:17 PM Re: Neighborly firewood thieves [Re: Salmo g.]
FishRanger Offline
Carcass

Loc: Where ever Dogfish tells me to...
Any hunting/sporting retailer should have a good trail cam. Cabela's, Sportsmans, Joes, Sportco etc. ... . . .

Decisions are made by those who show up.

"Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect." Ralph Waldo Emerson

#438174 - 06/08/08 05:39 PM Re: Neighborly firewood thieves [Re: Salmo g.]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

Salmo, are you a (big) dog person? I think a good size Rott would solve the problem. It sucks to have to worry about you're neighbors. These kind of people you have to make an impression that you won't tolerate any BS ! Good luck !

- Albert Einstein.

#438178 - 06/08/08 05:56 PM Re: Neighborly firewood thieves [Re: Sol Duc]
r2fishn Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: tacoma
hope you get the problem taken care of before you start building some of these folks will even take your appliances doors you name .hopefully they were just cold.

#438194 - 06/08/08 09:14 PM Re: Neighborly firewood thieves [Re: ]
Irie Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: South Sound
Originally Posted By: salmosalar
Salmo,

Don't discount neiborhood 16-25 year olds who would steal the wood to burn while drinking beer at night. Take a walk around and look for burn piles on adjacent properties or those within walking distance. From what I read into this, that is the most logical answer.

I'll come clean...I used to pull that sh*t all the time back in the wild and wooly days. But I NEVER targeted homeowners. It was always the di*khead in the RV that ran his generator all night long and left his fire unattended while he sat inside watching satellite TV.
Those same people often ran into sudden generator 'malfunctions' at about 3AM.
smile

#438208 - 06/08/08 10:49 PM Re: Neighborly firewood thieves [Re: ]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Fish Ranger,

Thanks. I'll check 'em out.

SolDuc,

I live in a condo about 7 miles from the building site. A dog wouldn't fit and be necessary at the condo ("gated community"), and I can't hardly leave a dog at the property all the time.

Irie,

I hear ya'. I have no problems with kids being kids; I just don't want to have to clean up after them.

SS,

There are only two vacant lots here, mine being one of them. And there's been no fire since my last brush and debris burn. And the amount of wood taken would fuel quite a few beer drinking bonfires. If they wanted to have a fire and drink some beer - and clean up after themselves, I'd have no problem with that. But that ain't what happened.

BWP,

I am concerned for some of the subs. I'm planning to do some of the work myself, so I'll be coordinating with them and have a lot of material on site at times.

Sg

#438215 - 06/08/08 11:25 PM Re: Neighborly firewood thieves [Re: Salmo g.]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Yes, Sportsman's Warehouse would be an excellent choice for a Bushnell trail camera with infrared flash. Once we get power out there I will go live with the 6 camera DVR video surveilance. A little spendy, but it buys a lot of comfort.

#438241 - 06/09/08 01:50 AM Re: Neighborly firewood thieves [Re: Dogfish]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Can't we just set up a sting operation and have an old fashioned BBQ when we catch 'em red handed?

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#438262 - 06/09/08 10:23 AM Re: Neighborly firewood thieves [Re: ]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Yes, the cameras will remain after the construction. Not much of an issue in our area right now, but there is enough of that stuff going on in surrounding areas so it may spread.

#438283 - 06/09/08 12:06 PM Re: Neighborly firewood thieves [Re: Dogfish]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Thanks Andy. It's off to Sportsmans Warehouse this week.

Yeah Aunty, it's probably a long term thing. I've been wondering what to do about security once we live there. I hate elaborate security set ups, but a developed rural area is such an easy target whenever no one is home.

Todd, if I catch 'em, I'll invite you over to take a few whacks. They'll be begging for the police.

Thanks for the ideas.

Sg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1429 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |