Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#473073 - 12/13/08 02:03 AM The foxes are scratching for the Hen house scraps
John Lee Hookum Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Area 51
These are difficult times, for trusting anyone with your hard earned cash. A lot of the wealthy went down in this scam.

BTW, recently I noticed a TV commercial asking you to mail in your scrap Gold for cash. First off, I've never heard of Gold expressed as scraps or waste. I can see them loading the Gold onto barges and heading to Australia, or some other distant land, while complaints pile up from those getting hosed for their money. beathead I hope that's not the case, but it looks a little slippery to me. Would you send me your gold and believe that I would send you fair market value for it in return? If so, send me your address and I will send you a special envelope to put your scraps into and mail to me. grin After that, I give you what I thinks it's worth. Lets see ........How about $7. 26..ummm $5.82....? sick Anyway, be careful with purchases during holidays and throughout the year. These are slippery time indeed. eek

$50 billion at stake after Wall St broker Bernard Madoff is arrested over ‘world’s biggest swindle’

Bernard Madoff: 'stunning fraud'

Tim Reid in Washington
Some of America’s wealthiest socialites were facing ruin last night after the arrest of a Wall Street big hitter accused of the largest investor swindle perpetrated by one man.

Shock and panic spread through the country clubs of Palm Beach and Long Island after Bernard Madoff, a trading powerbroker for more than four decades, allegedly confessed to a fraud that will cost his wealthy investors at least $50 billion – perhaps the largest swindle in Wall Street history.

Mr Madoff, 70, a former Nasdaq stock chairman, was apparently turned in by his two sons and arrested on Thursday morning at his Manhattan apartment by the FBI. Andrew Calamari, a senior enforcement official at the US Securities and Exchange Commission, described the scheme as “a stunning fraud that appears to be of epic proportions”.

The FBI’s criminal complaint states that when two federal agents arrived at Mr Madoff’s apartment, he told them: “There is no innocent explanation.” The agents say that he told them “he paid investors with money that wasn’t there”, that he was “broke” and that he expected to go to jail.

Many of his investors came from the enormously wealthy enclaves of Palm Beach, Florida and Long Island, New York, where people had invested billions in Mr Madoff’s firm for decades. He was a fixture on the Palm Beach social scene, and was a member of some of its most exclusive clubs, including the Palm Beach Country Club and Boca Rio Golf Club, where he drummed up much of his business.
The FBI claims that three senior employees of Mr Madoff’s investment firm turned up at his apartment on Wednesday to ask questions about the company’s solvency. Two of them are believed to be his sons, Andrew and Mark, who have worked for their father for two decades.

Mr Madoff told them that he was “finished”, that he had “absolutely nothing”, and that “it’s all just one big lie”. He said the investment arm of his firm was “basically a giant Ponzi scheme”, and that it had been insolvent for years.

A Ponzi scheme, named after the swindler Charles Ponzi, is a fraudulent investment operation that pays abnormally high returns to investors out of money put into the scheme by subsequent investors, rather than from real profits generated by share trading.

The FBI complaint states that Mr Madoff told his sons that he believed the losses from his scheme could exceed $50 billion. If that is the case, his fraud would be far greater than past Ponzi schemes and easily the greatest swindle blamed on a single individual.

There has been scepticism for years on Wall Street over how Mr Madoff managed to pay such consistently high returns. Ponzi schemes inevitably collapse, and Mr Madoff found himself to be no exception. This month, clients asked for $7 billion to be returned, the FBI says.

Mr Madoff ran the scheme separately from his main business and his sons had no involvement in it.

Mr Madoff has been charged with a single count of securities fraud. He declined to enter a plea in Manhattan’s US District Court and was released on $10 million bail. He faces up to 20 years in jail and a $5 million fine if convicted. His lawyer, Dan Horwitz, said that his client was “a person of integrity. He intends to fight to get through this unfortunate event.”

One investor told The Wall Street Journal: “This is going to kill so many people. It’s absolutely awful.” Ira Roth, from New Jersey, said that his family had $1 million invested, and that he was in a state of panic.

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of
Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter
of the gods.

-- Albert Einstein

#473074 - 12/13/08 02:15 AM Re: The foxes are scratching for the Hen house scraps [Re: John Lee Hookum]
Vidiotic Offline
Parr

The king of cut and paste is alive and well!!!Long live the king!!!!
Post whore!!!!

#473077 - 12/13/08 02:28 AM Re: The foxes are scratching for the Hen house scraps [Re: John Lee Hookum]
Oregonian Offline
Three Time Spawner

Interestng that an investment interviewer stumbles across Ira Roth in the flesh...

#473090 - 12/13/08 11:33 AM Re: The foxes are scratching for the Hen house scraps [Re: Oregonian]
Magicfly Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Pasco Bulldog country
It's all coming out in the wash.

Yea, I've seen that scrap gold for cash commercial....but the one that takes the cake is the Extends...

Mf

"Go hard, today Can't worry the past, coz that yesterday". GO COUGS!!!

#473236 - 12/14/08 03:15 PM Re: The foxes are scratching for the Hen house scraps [Re: Magicfly]
John Lee Hookum Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Area 51
Why did it take so long to nail him?

http://www.brasschecktv.com/page/497.html

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of
Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter
of the gods.

-- Albert Einstein

#473239 - 12/14/08 04:05 PM Re: The foxes are scratching for the Hen house scr [Re: John Lee Hookum]
hohbomb73 Offline
D.E.A

Loc: in da hood
Interesting place to cut off that second video...

Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat.

#473250 - 12/14/08 05:04 PM Re: The foxes are scratching for the Hen house scr [Re: hohbomb73]
Oregonian Offline
Three Time Spawner

Sounds like a skit on Saturday Night Live...

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 1109 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63780 Topics
645398 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |