THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#475502 - 12/26/08 02:50 PM Plasma or LCD ?
tjcarroll Offline
Union Dock Worker

Loc: Seattle - Union
With all the after Christmas sales going on I'm looking at a new set up for the Man Cave. Probly 60" as the minimum size, so what manufacturer and options am I looking for ?. Or should I just take the easy route to costco and buy a Vizio.

#475504 - 12/26/08 03:07 PM Re: Plasma or LCD ? [Re: tjcarroll]
hohbomb73 Offline
D.E.A

Loc: in da hood
LCD.

Can't think of any reason to buy Plasma.

Most manufacturers are making good products these days. You still pay more for the name with the high end brands. Just get a name you've heard before and you'll be fine (easy to get replacement remote, etc.).

1080 is the way to go, even though you won't use it unless you have Blueray (which you will want with a 60" 1080 wink )

Multiple HDMI inputs are good. So are inputs on the front for easy access, the ones on the side/back of panel tvs are hard to find when the tv is hanging on the wall (no big deal for the cords that will always be connected, but for video camera playback, etc.)

Should be some great deals out there!!

Have fun smile

Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat.

#475507 - 12/26/08 03:11 PM Re: Plasma or LCD ? [Re: hohbomb73]
summerrun Offline
Dude, where's my boat?

Loc: Seattle
HMMM...TJ's man cave options...dancing pole for the ladies, keg fridge with good spirts on tap 24/7, built in surround sound system, pool table, poker table, playstation, dartboard etc...

I have the Vizio 42" and it seems solid, LCD is the way to go but no idea what the max size is these days...call me when the cave is ready and I will help break it in for ya...cheers

#475509 - 12/26/08 03:20 PM Re: Plasma or LCD ? [Re: summerrun]
Castingpearls Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: The Rock
LCD for sure. Been there done that. Look at the Toshiba Regza, spendy but excellent quality. I have the 47" and been happy with it.

Take a look online at the outlet sections of the stores you plan on going and look for in-store pickup option. I got a screamin deal last year doing that, the guy at the store didn't believe me when I went to pick it up. He had to look it up for himself before he would let us take it.

#475510 - 12/26/08 03:22 PM Re: Plasma or LCD ? [Re: hohbomb73]
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

1080 is HD so if you have HD channels you'll use it. I haven't researched lately but I think in the 60" range you'll want plasma or DLP. I think most home theater sites are still recommending DLP. Check out http://www.hometheaterspot.com/ ran by a guy in Seattle. And if you join you qualify for their group buy discounts.

And HDMI is a must if you want Blue Ray.

#475517 - 12/26/08 04:11 PM Re: Plasma or LCD ? [Re: stlhead]
hohbomb73 Offline
D.E.A

Loc: in da hood
DLP if you have the space for it. It's way cheaper...

Could be wrong but i don't think the broadcast hd channels are 1080. The signal from my digital receiver (free) goes into my tv with a "cable" connector.

If you have Verizon Fios you may have a fiber optic into your house, other wise you have regular "cable" tyoe cable.

I don't think you can push that much data through anything but an HDMI cable. RCA cables don't do it. I think 720 is the most you can get from component video in, less from s-video...

Again, I could be wrong.

Buy the 1080 regarless... smile

Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat.

#475522 - 12/26/08 04:58 PM Re: Plasma or LCD ? [Re: hohbomb73]
Castingpearls Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: The Rock
1080 and HDMI is the way to go for sure. You'll spend some money to get everything you need.

#475529 - 12/26/08 06:01 PM Re: Plasma or LCD ? [Re: Castingpearls]
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

It depends upon the broadcaster. Some are 720 and others 1080. With CATV you'd need to either hook via component or HDMI to take advantage.

#475534 - 12/26/08 06:16 PM Re: Plasma or LCD ? [Re: stlhead]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Get the 60" Sony LCD, Tom. Costco probably carries it. If you can afford it, get the 65" Sony LCD at Costco. Stay away from Vizio.

Call me up and I'll go with you.

I have both DLP and plasma screens at my place. The DLP II rear-projection TV is older, but has the best picture. The plasma is newer, but not as nice, IMO. My next flat panel would be a Sony LCD.

Make sure the tube supports 1080p and comes with a couple of HDMI ports. That will take care of your HD Comcrap DVR or TivoHD needs as well as that Sony Playstation you'll also want to get. Gotta be able to play those BluRay DVD movies.

#475536 - 12/26/08 06:25 PM Re: Plasma or LCD ? [Re: Castingpearls]
Chuck E Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula
Never pay retail if you have cash. When I managed a furniture store if somebody had cash and could take the item right then, they got the best deal.
Beat them up on price as it's a buyer's market on the retail side.

#475540 - 12/26/08 06:38 PM Re: Plasma or LCD ? [Re: The Moderator]
John Lee Hookum Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Area 51
LCD 1080P, 5 ms or less response time. Higher contrast ratio with 10,000 preferred. 2 or more HDMI ports. PC, Audio, S-Video, Optical out, firm ware updated via USB (optional but preferred), Progressive scan.

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of
Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter
of the gods.

-- Albert Einstein

#475544 - 12/26/08 06:52 PM Re: Plasma or LCD ? [Re: John Lee Hookum]
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

Mitsubishi 65" Laservue - be a real man!

can't afford that then:

Mitsubishi - Diamond 73" Class 1080p DLP HDTV (size matters)

#475549 - 12/26/08 07:28 PM Re: Plasma or LCD ? [Re: stlhead]
floatinghat Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: West of Seattle

Not to be a smart a$$ but if you haven't checked a video forum I would, http://avsforum.com/ is the place to research. If you have the space and controlled light environment, I would consider a LCD projector and go with a 92-100" screen. Review that forum and you should get better insight than you will find here.

#475589 - 12/26/08 11:41 PM Re: Plasma or LCD ? [Re: floatinghat]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
Might want to check out what Parker said. PCWorld reports on Sony customer satisfaction is not even close to challenged. My 2

#475609 - 12/27/08 01:54 AM Re: Plasma or LCD ? [Re: ParaLeaks]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

I need to get a new TV in the coming year. I'm not a home theater freak so won't be getting a 60" or any other large size screen. I've been happy with my 20" TV, but it's gonna' be obsolete, and I have a new house in the works.

What's Blue Ray, and why do I want or need it? I don't play computer games and doubt I'd have any use for Playstation. I wouldn't know what to do with a Playstation or X-box if I had one.

The thing I do want is for my TV to run through my stereo system. Currently run the TV through a VHS tape machine so it goes through the stereo. Probably have to get a new stereo too.

So LCD is preferable to Plasma? Why? Fortunately I have a few months or so to figure this out.

Sg

#475623 - 12/27/08 08:30 AM Re: Plasma or LCD ? [Re: Salmo g.]
eddie Offline
Carcass

Loc: Valencia, Negros Oriental, Phi...
I'm in the biz, so this may be of some help.

LCD is brighter, plasma has truer color but needs to be out of direct light. Plasma does have issues with "burn-in", that is if you keep an unmoving image (like the logo in the lower right hand corner of many TV broadcasts) on the screen, the image can become permanent. There are only a couple of manufacturers of the glass that is used in LCD's. So, all of the manufacturers are very similar once you get to the insides. The major manufacturers will be done making plasmas within 3 to 5 years. If you have the room and the inclination for a large image (greater than 60"), a projector/screen setup will give you the biggest bang for the buck. The contrast rating on monitors/projectors is the most meaningless spec going - there is no standard for measurement so each manufacturer uses their own method for rating. Blu-Ray is high definition DVD's. Most TV channels do not broadcast in 1080P, Blu-Ray does however. As with all technology, the price keeps coming down while the features keep improving.

R.P. McMurphy - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

#475641 - 12/27/08 12:25 PM Re: Plasma or LCD ? [Re: eddie]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Yeah, what Eddie just said.

In short Salmo, Blu-Ray is the hi-definition version of DVD.

Here's what I'd look at:

Get a nice mid-range stereo receiver from Crutchfield. Yamaha is always a good working, not too high end, but not too low end, receiver. Shouldn't cost more than $200 for what you'll probably want or need. The new receivers will have all, or should have all the new digital video and audio ports you will need.

Invest in a good set of speakers. Something like a 5 or 6 set of speakers. Two front, one middle, two surround, and one subwoofer. Again, doesn't have to be very costly.

You should look at both the Plasma and LCD screens on a side by side comparison. Best way to do that is to go to places like Costco, BestBuy, etc. I'd think a nice 40" TV would fit your needs well and those really won't break the bank. Look at the Sony 40" LCD and an equivalent branded Plasma. In the long run, I'd think the LCD's will be cheaper to maintain and to get repaired over a plasma. Just my O2.

Finally, you need the "accessories". IE, get a Blu-Ray DVD player. Now that you have the stereo, speakers, and a high definition TV, you'll want to watch your new DVD movies in HiDef. Interestingly, I saw that the best review on a Blu-Ray DVD player came in the form of the Sony Playstation. Heck, now you get a cool game system with awesome high definition graphics + a Blu-Ray DVD player.

Lastly, upgrade your cable or satellite service to HD. No point in owning all this great stuff if you aren't going to actually watch HD TV. Comcast offers a DVR (Digital Video Recorder) for a few duckets more. Or, if you're like me and don't care for the hardware and software of the Comcrap DVR, I opted for a Tivo3 HD and a lifetime service contract. Got a couple of cable cards from the cable company, and I was in business.

Now, if I could do it all over again, I'd flush-mount all my speakers in the ceilings and walls, as well as "upgrade" my rear-projection TV to a flat panel LCD. I'd make a small case for the the receiver, DVD player, and the Tivo. Nice, compact, no exposed speakers, etc.

#475644 - 12/27/08 12:47 PM Re: Plasma or LCD ? [Re: ]
Salmonella Offline
Repeat Spawner

My wife bought a Panasonic 42" Plasma at Costco for about $650 for the family Christmas gift.

I don't watch a whole lot of TV 'cept for "The Outdoor Channel" & some news stuff.
Picture is OK, not remarkably clear.

But HOLY CHIT the digital photos!
eek2eek2eek2eek2eek2

I plugged in a couple of my camera cards on it and the images blew me away.
Resolution, clarity, colors & contrast.
UNREAL.
Just like being there again, but from the comfort of my recliner.
Worth the money just to look at my photos on.

#475669 - 12/27/08 07:23 PM Re: Plasma or LCD ? [Re: ]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Aunty, Eddie, & Parker,

Thanks. The TV is going to sit to the right of the fireplace, and there will be a cabinet to the left to house all the audio visual components. I like the idea of running all the speaker wires before the drywall goes on, but frankly I don't know what to do. I'll ask the electrician about that cuz we're going to do a walk-thru in the next couple weeks before he begins the house wiring.

Sounds like a 40" LCD will more than satisfy us. I guess I understand that Blue Ray makes sense if it's just the HD version of DVDs. I'm reluctant to go the Playstation route to get it tho. I just have no interest in video games, and I certainly don't have the time for them. And while I expect grandkids someday Aunty, their moms will probably be like I was with them and not allow the kids to waste their lives away on video or computer games. Besides, the Playstation will be obsolete in a short time, and Playstation 9 or 10 will probably be out by then.

Sg

#475723 - 12/28/08 01:50 AM Re: Plasma or LCD ? [Re: The Moderator]
Corey's sista Offline
Earth Science Teacher

Loc: I can see Russia from here!
Ya, and anytime you are at Costco and need advice on any electronics feel free to call Bob or Parker wink
Thanks to Bob and apparently to Parker too I see, I've got a Sony this and a blu ray that and I can't even
figure out the remote control to do the HDMI! But, my 5 year old can...Nice!

Originally Posted By: parker

Get a nice mid-range stereo receiver from Crutchfield. Yamaha is always a good working, not too high end, but not too low end, receiver. Shouldn't cost more than $200 for what you'll probably want or need. The new receivers will have all, or should have all the new digital video and audio ports you will need.

Invest in a good set of speakers. Something like a 5 or 6 set of speakers. Two front, one middle, two surround, and one subwoofer. Again, doesn't have to be very costly.

You should look at both the Plasma and LCD screens on a side by side comparison. Best way to do that is to go to places like Costco, BestBuy, etc. I'd think a nice 40" TV would fit your needs well and those really won't break the bank. Look at the Sony 40" LCD and an equivalent branded Plasma. In the long run, I'd think the LCD's will be cheaper to maintain and to get repaired over a plasma. Just my O2.

Finally, you need the "accessories". IE, get a Blu-Ray DVD player. Now that you have the stereo, speakers, and a high definition TV, you'll want to watch your new DVD movies in HiDef. Interestingly, I saw that the best review on a Blu-Ray DVD player came in the form of the Sony Playstation. Heck, now you get a cool game system with awesome high definition graphics + a Blu-Ray DVD player.

Lastly, upgrade your cable or satellite service to HD. No point in owning all this great stuff if you aren't going to actually watch HD TV. Comcast offers a DVR (Digital Video Recorder) for a few duckets more. Or, if you're like me and don't care for the hardware and software of the Comcrap DVR, I opted for a Tivo3 HD and a lifetime service contract. Got a couple of cable cards from the cable company, and I was in business.

Now, if I could do it all over again, I'd flush-mount all my speakers in the ceilings and walls, as well as "upgrade" my rear-projection TV to a flat panel LCD. I'd make a small case for the the receiver, DVD player, and the Tivo. Nice, compact, no exposed speakers, etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Streamer), 1443 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |