THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#520206 - 07/15/09 02:49 AM How to paint some doors.
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
So I had 8 doors that I needed to paint upstairs. Upon the recommendation from a professional door installer friend, I linked them together at the top and sprayed them.

In all, it took about 2 hours to set up the office in the new house into a spray booth, and about 30 minutes in all to put 3 light coats on the doors over 6 hours time.

I think I'll leave the spray booth in place until I get the doors for the ground floor. That worked pretty well.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#520222 - 07/15/09 08:14 AM Re: How to paint some doors. [Re: Dogfish]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Make sure that you seal the top and bottom really well.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#520228 - 07/15/09 09:35 AM Re: How to paint some doors. [Re: Jerry Garcia]
FishRanger Offline
Carcass

Loc: Where ever Dogfish tells me to...
As with most painting jobs the better the prep the less time it takes to actully paint. Nice work, looking good and getting close to the finish line. . ..

Decisions are made by those who show up.

"Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect." Ralph Waldo Emerson

#520240 - 07/15/09 11:16 AM Re: How to paint some doors. [Re: FishRanger]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
That is nice. One of my employees has a painting background, we did the same thing for the doors in my current house. I used a white pigmented something. I like those 5 panel doors. They look really sharp.

#520272 - 07/15/09 02:52 PM Re: How to paint some doors. [Re: Jerry Garcia]
Mikespike Offline
MPD

Loc: Santa Rosa, CA
Originally Posted By: Jerry Garcia
Make sure that you seal the top and bottom really well.

My favorite expression I hear from some "professional painters" is "the over-spray will cover the top and bottom." I never say "I told you so" when they bring in their warped/bowed door, usually an entry door as well, I just sell them a new door - no questions asked! grin

It's great seeing you and Salmo G. doing quality work and some contractors still provide that level of service - interestingly they are the ones with plenty of work during this crappy economy.

"Holy hell son, you're about as useful as a cock flavored lollipop."

#520313 - 07/15/09 06:40 PM Re: How to paint some doors. [Re: Rocket Red]
Satan Offline
I love me

Loc: Around the way
Originally Posted By: Rocket Red
That is nice. One of my employees has a painting background, we did the same thing for the doors in my current house. I used a white pigmented something.

Shellac most likely. A sprayed oil based enamel done properly will yield the best finish on a door bar none. The top and bottom should seal if properly primed and painted. Nice job smile

#520361 - 07/15/09 10:44 PM Re: How to paint some doors. [Re: Satan]
Bucket/Good Sport Offline
Kitsap's Crankiest Contractor

Loc: Poulsbo
Old school----the right school. As Jerry stated make sure the tops and bottoms are sealed properly. Lookin good Dog!

#520389 - 07/16/09 01:33 AM Re: How to paint some doors. [Re: Bucket/Good Sport]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
4th coat today (all relatively light coats), and yes, I sealed the tops before I painted them. I'll seal the bottoms before I hang them.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#520414 - 07/16/09 08:29 AM Re: How to paint some doors. [Re: Dogfish]
Jerry Garcia Offline

I would say that the biggest issue we have with the custom doors that we makeis the idiot contractor that leans the door up against a freshly taped sheetrock wall, leaves it there for the weekend and doesn't understand why the door is warped.

Lonnie Gane

#520439 - 07/16/09 11:43 AM Re: How to paint some doors. [Re: Satan]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
Originally Posted By: avid angler
Originally Posted By: Rocket Red
That is nice. One of my employees has a painting background, we did the same thing for the doors in my current house. I used a white pigmented something.

Shellac most likely. A sprayed oil based enamel done properly will yield the best finish on a door bar none. The top and bottom should seal if properly primed and painted. Nice job smile

Yep, it was shellac. I remember cutting it down with water, and spraying all of the doors with light coats. It came out really nice (when my painting buddy helped, my turn - not so much).

#520448 - 07/16/09 12:09 PM Re: How to paint some doors. [Re: Jerry Garcia]
Mikespike Offline
MPD

I would say that the biggest issue we have with the custom doors that we makeis the idiot contractor that leans the door up against a freshly taped sheetrock wall, leaves it there for the weekend and doesn't understand why the door is warped.

JG-

somehow, I thought you were involved with the aircraft industry - I hope you aren't putting wood doors in airplanes! rofl We must have the same customer base smile

#520463 - 07/16/09 01:05 PM Re: How to paint some doors. [Re: Mikespike]
Jerry Garcia Offline

No planes here. We build custom doors, along with mouldings, cabinets, sash, almost anything out of wood. Our doors are a true mortise and tenon with thick veneer(1/8") faces built to order.

Lonnie Gane

#520495 - 07/16/09 02:51 PM Re: How to paint some doors. [Re: Jerry Garcia]

Ya but, they should be sealed with someting before they leave your shop!

#520687 - 07/17/09 12:01 PM Re: How to paint some doors. [Re: Bucket/Good Sport]
Mikespike Offline
MPD

Originally Posted By: Bucket

If there is one thing I hate, it is having to be serious for any length of time on an internet fishing board, but as a PSA, here goes:

Sealing the door will not prevent the warping/bowing that JG is describing - it is the weight of the door itself that causes it to "sag". Doors should be stored "flat" at all times unless they are prehung, in which case, they should be installed as soon as possible.

JG-

it's always nice to hear about a company producing quality handmade products!!!

#520689 - 07/17/09 12:10 PM Re: How to paint some doors. [Re: Mikespike]

Originally Posted By: Mikespike

If there is one thing I hate, it is having to be serious for any length of time on an internet fishing board, but as a PSA, here goes:

Sealing the door will not prevent the warping/bowing that JG is describing - it is the weight of the door itself that causes it to "sag". Doors should be stored "flat" at all times unless they are prehung, in which case, they should be installed as soon as possible.

JG-

it's always nice to hear about a company producing quality handmade products!!!

NO [censored]!
I was just tryin ta get a rise outa Jerry. Jerry happens to work at one of the best millwork shops Seattle has to offer.
Prehung doors are NOT an option for me.

#520694 - 07/17/09 12:18 PM Re: How to paint some doors. [Re: Bucket/Good Sport]
Mikespike Offline
MPD

NO [censored]!
I was just tryin ta get a rise outa Jerry. Jerry happens to work at one of the best millwork shops Seattle has to offer.
Prehung doors are NOT an option for me.

I'm clueless without the emoticons in posts doh Well, Jerry didn't bite, but I sure did!! grin Yeah, we do a lot of hollow core prehungs here and it is much better than the box stores, but they are still just hollow core doors. People down here in this market have champagne dreams, but a beer budget (keystone light), so I don't get to work with high-end products often enough....

#520720 - 07/17/09 01:12 PM Re: How to paint some doors. [Re: Bucket/Good Sport]
Jerry Garcia Offline

We seal them with $5 bills dipped in Titebond 2.

Lonnie Gane

#520817 - 07/17/09 04:46 PM Re: How to paint some doors. [Re: ]
EnglishPete Offline
The Duke of Death

Loc: Upyerarseland
Originally Posted By: AuntyM
Sometimes I miss Fish Jesus being on this board... This is one of those times!

(Fish Jesus, AKA the professional door installer friend) wink

Being a fish, I bonked him. wink rofl

What do Princess Diana and Pink Floyd have in common? Their biggest hit was the wall.

#520823 - 07/17/09 04:56 PM Re: How to paint some doors. [Re: EnglishPete]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
Nice work Andy. When I bought my last house I sprayed the interior and all the old fir louvered and paneled doors to update them. it sure is a nice way to paint! I also made a spray booth but havent ever strung the doors together like that. I use a hanging rack with eye hooks and j hooks screwed into the tops of the doors so I can let them hang freely.

After fisnishing all my recent brickwork, I started on repainting all our house trim, and that included spraying all our exterior doors. They turned out great, much better than you can ever do with a roller or brushwork. As a former forman on a painting crew, I have a high appreciation for a high quality spray finish.

#520945 - 07/17/09 11:17 PM Re: How to paint some doors. [Re: Sky-Guy]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Hmmm, my doors came pre-hung and pre-finished, stained and lacquer I think.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Al Gore, czer, Robb92, wallyw
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1155 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645406 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |