LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#553113 - 11/07/09 02:36 AM Buy Health Insurance or Face Jail Time?
ISO Chrome
Unregistered

This is from the House Ways and Means Committee itself!

"PELOSI: Buy a $15,000 Policy or Go to Jail

JCT Confirms Failure to Comply with Democrats’ Mandate Can Lead to 5 Years in Jail

Friday, November 06, 2009

Today, Ranking Member of the House Ways and Means Committee Dave Camp (R-MI) released a letter from the non-partisan Joint Committee on Taxation (JCT) confirming that the failure to comply with the individual mandate to buy health insurance contained in the Pelosi health care bill (H.R. 3962, as amended) could land people in jail.

The JCT letter makes clear that Americans who do not maintain “acceptable health insurance coverage” and who choose not to pay the bill’s new individual mandate tax (generally 2.5% of income), are subject to numerous civil and criminal penalties, including criminal fines of up to $250,000 and imprisonment of up to five years.

In response to the JCT letter, Camp said: “This is the ultimate example of the Democrats’ command-and-control style of governing – buy what we tell you or go to jail. It is outrageous and it should be stopped immediately.”

Key excerpts from the JCT letter appear below:

“H.R. 3962 provides that an individual (or a husband and wife in the case of a joint return) who does not, at any time during the taxable year, maintain acceptable health insurance coverage for himself or herself and each of his or her qualifying children is subject to an additional tax.” [page 1]

“If the government determines that the taxpayer’s unpaid tax liability results from willful behavior, the following penalties could apply…” [page 2]

“Criminal penalties

Prosecution is authorized under the Code for a variety of offenses. Depending on the level of the noncompliance, the following penalties could apply to an individual:

• Section 7203 – misdemeanor willful failure to pay is punishable by a fine of up to $25,000 and/or imprisonment of up to one year.

• Section 7201 – felony willful evasion is punishable by a fine of up to $250,000 and/or imprisonment of up to five years.” [page 3]

This used to be America. It's not any more!!!

God help us all!

#553119 - 11/07/09 05:43 AM Re: Buy Health Insurance or Face Jail Time? [Re: ]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Ya right. Remember the Television decoding boxes? The time extension? The coupons?

Its not going to pass.

#553126 - 11/07/09 09:47 AM Re: Buy Health Insurance or Face Jail Time? [Re: Fast and Furious]
shinything Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: kitsap
2000 pages and growing.that is enough to scare me all by itself.

#553128 - 11/07/09 10:33 AM Re: Buy Health Insurance or Face Jail Time? [Re: shinything]
John Lee Hookum Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Area 51
Be scarred! Be very scarred! rofl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RKog5dMlxA

Edited by John Lee Hookum (11/07/09 12:46 PM)

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of
Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter
of the gods.

-- Albert Einstein

#553135 - 11/07/09 11:56 AM Re: Buy Health Insurance or Face Jail Time? [Re: John Lee Hookum]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
This may seem like semantics to some, but it's not.

You don't go to jail for not buying health insurance. If you don't buy health insurance, then you have the surcharge put on your income taxes.

Failing to pay your income taxes is a criminal offense, so if you don't pay the surcharge, you are committing a crime.

Vastly different than "If you don't buy insurance you go to jail"...but doesn't sound nearly as imflammatory or scary.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#553137 - 11/07/09 12:06 PM Re: Buy Health Insurance or Face Jail Time? [Re: ]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
I don't trust anything that comes from either party. I'll be under my house, making a batch of tinfoil hats and stocking up on ammo, just in case.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#553166 - 11/07/09 02:28 PM Re: Buy Health Insurance or Face Jail Time? [Re: ]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Hank, that might be one of the most irrelevant posts you've ever made...I can't find anything in there that has anything to do with the topic.

Fish on...

Todd

#553176 - 11/07/09 03:08 PM Re: Buy Health Insurance or Face Jail Time? [Re: ]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

The point is that ISO either got a right wing mass email, or a link to a right wing website that contained, not surprisingly, bad information...

Just pointing it out...again.

Fish on...

Todd

#553178 - 11/07/09 03:26 PM Re: Buy Health Insurance or Face Jail Time? [Re: Todd]
Tim M. Offline
Parr

Loc: UNIVERSITY PLACE,WA
[quote=Todd]This may seem like semantics to some, but it's not.

You don't go to jail for not buying health insurance. If you don't buy health insurance, then you have the surcharge put on your income taxes.

Failing to pay your income taxes is a criminal offense, so if you don't pay the surcharge, you are committing a crime.

Vastly different than "If you don't buy insurance you go to jail"...but doesn't sound nearly as imflammatory or scary.

Fish on...

The end point is the same.Nice fluff on your part though.

#553184 - 11/07/09 03:41 PM Re: Buy Health Insurance or Face Jail Time? [Re: Tim M.]
AaronP Offline
Alevin

Loc: Tillamook, OR
So either way, if you don't buy health care, than you are punished by the gov? I thought we were supposed to have the freedom to choose in this country.

#553212 - 11/07/09 04:49 PM Re: Buy Health Insurance or Face Jail Time? [Re: ]
Piper
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Kanektok Kid

Choose not to, and you get fined, much like auto insurance, when you get caught.

thats not a fair comparison.... Auto insurance is for liability purposes to protect the other drivers from your stupidity... ("your" being the collective all of us in this case)... its to bad they don't require proof of auto insurance to renew a drivers license...

Health care is something that a person should be able to walk into a hospital and pay for... health insurance should be for something catastrophic and the premiums should not cost 8-10% of your income...

#553408 - 11/08/09 01:12 AM Re: Buy Health Insurance or Face Jail Time? [Re: ]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
Help me decide, Ford or Chevy????

#553423 - 11/08/09 01:44 AM Re: Buy Health Insurance or Face Jail Time? [Re: fish4brains]
Piper
Unregistered

neither...

Toyota smile

#553424 - 11/08/09 01:46 AM Re: Buy Health Insurance or Face Jail Time? [Re: ]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
9mm or .45acp

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#553427 - 11/08/09 02:24 AM Re: Buy Health Insurance or Face Jail Time? [Re: Dogfish]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

.40 cal., of course.

Fish on...

Todd

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Dick laxton, Lil Blue Sled, Lil Red Sled, Solash, The Moderator, WeServe
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (seabeckraised), 1258 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645375 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |