LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#704129 - 09/14/11 03:06 PM Sure...Why Not?
MartyMoose Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Lake Stevens, Wa
For the life of me I cannot understand why some people think the way they do...it is frustrating BEYOND comprehension.

Ok, the poor and working poor are given assistance to buy food for their families. Since we don't want these people (growing up I WAS one of these people) to be embarrassed about their current position in life someone decided it would be nice for the recipients to have an EBT card*. That way, the transaction would appear like every other shopper in line at the checkout. (During a lay-off I once worked at a Wal-Mart as a Customer Service Manager, and I saw a lot of stuff that made my blood boil.)

Of course now days the very same people seem to drive nice newer vehicles, wear nice (new) brand-name clothing, and also have cell phones, with what have to be awesome text plans. (volunteer at a Food Bank once in awhile you'll see). Why? Because as taxpayers we are subsidizing their lifestyle to keep up with the Jones' by taking the food bill out of the equation.

That is just one part of it...at the first of the month, you'll notice people with some pretty full grocery carts at the store. These carts are most likely being pushed by someone with an EBT card in their wallet. You might notice lobster, Prime Rib, Choice Steak Cuts, and other pricey items. But the majority of the food in that cart will be Processed foods, packed with additives and preservatives. Easy to fix meals, loaded with carbs, and not much nutritional value.

I bring up the processed foods because of the close association these food types have with adult and childhood obesity. Also, studies (I heard of this a few years ago on a TV news story) have shown that people that are on assistance tend to be fatter not only as a result of the diet, but the way the body adjusts to compensate for the feasting at the first of the month and then famine toward the end of the month.

I bring up the expensive items, because a lot of people that are not on assistance cannot afford such luxuries...and it just doesn't seem right that tax payers should have to pay for a luxurious meal for another person, that doesn't deserve it.

If we as a nation are to provide the poor with assistance then the government needs to step in and give them standards by which to live by not unlike the WIC program. With WIC the person is only allowed certain milk, certain cheese, certain peanut butter, and etc.
To allow a person to make unhealthy and extravagant choices with our tax dollars is just plain wrong. And just when you thought it couldn't get worse....EBT cards will be able for use at Fast Food places...yep that's right, you and I will be paying for more unhealthy choices.

EBT AT FAST FOOD

If the person that is receiving the hand out doesn't like being told what to buy with the government's money then that person can better themselves and their situation and become like most of the rest of us and support ourselves.

*I am sure another reason for the EBT Card was to discourage fraudulent use of the coupons, and the selling of those coupons for pennies on the dollars to thieves.
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

#704132 - 09/14/11 03:23 PM Re: Sure...Why Not? [Re: ]
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

"If we as a nation are to provide the rich with assistance then the government needs to step in and give them standards by which to live by "

"To allow a corporation to make unhealthy and extravagant choices with our tax dollars is just plain wrong."

"If the corporation that is receiving the hand out doesn't like being told what to buy with the government's money then that corporation can go pound sand"

Fixed it for ya.

Not against welfare reform just think we need to start where the real money is.

#704133 - 09/14/11 03:23 PM Re: Sure...Why Not? [Re: ]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Fast and loose there, Moose.

You do realize that big business is the ones pushing for EBT restaurant use, right? Seeing that they almost always get their way, I assume it will happen.

#704136 - 09/14/11 03:31 PM Re: Sure...Why Not? [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
MartyMoose Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Lake Stevens, Wa
Stlhead- I see your point, and I totally agree with it. Corporate Welfare is just as wrong.

AP- I realize from the article who's behind the effort, doesn't change my point that this sort of thing is wrong. These programs should provide the necessary means to survive, not put taxpayers money into the outstretched hands of Fast Food restaurants and Grocers.
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

#704193 - 09/14/11 05:56 PM Re: Sure...Why Not? [Re: ]
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Ahhhhh, damn dog!

It's not the people on welfare lobbying for the change--AuntyM

+ 10,000,000

Fishy

The idea of a middle class life is slowly drifting away as each and every day we realize that our nation is becoming more of a corporatacracy.

I think name-calling is the right way to handle this one/Dan S

We're here from the WDFW and we're here to help--Uhh Ohh!

#704194 - 09/14/11 06:04 PM Re: Sure...Why Not? [Re: ]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

It always amazes me to see more examples of government officials approving exactly those kinds of deals that cause average Americans to criticize the actions of government. They either gotta' be a few cells shy of a whole brain, or on the take. That's the only way it adds up.

Sg

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 501 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |