Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#176166 - 06/08/06 08:48 AM 3 years of deaths
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
The percentages of drivers with BAC levels of .08 or higher in fatal crashes in 2004 were 27% for motorcycle operators, 22% for passenger cars, and 21% for light trucks. The percentage of drivers with BAC levels .08 or higher in fatal crashes was the lowest for large trucks (1%).

In 2004, 85 percent (11,791) of the 13,952 drivers with BAC of .01 or higher who were involved in fatal crashes had BAC levels at or above .08, and 51 percent (7,084) had BAC levels at or above .16. The most frequently recorded BAC level among drinking drivers involved in fatal crashes was .18.

Alcohol related deaths in the US since 1982:

Total fatalities Alcohol related fatalities

Year Number Number Percent
The percentages of drivers with BAC levels of .08 or higher in fatal crashes in 2004 were 27% for motorcycle operators, 22% for passenger cars, and 21% for light trucks. The percentage of drivers with BAC levels .08 or higher in fatal crashes was the lowest for large trucks (1%).

In 2004, 85 percent (11,791) of the 13,952 drivers with BAC of .01 or higher who were involved in fatal crashes had BAC levels at or above .08, and 51 percent (7,084) had BAC levels at or above .16. The most frequently recorded BAC level among drinking drivers involved in fatal crashes was .18.

2002 43,005 17,524 41
2003 42,643 17,013 40
2004 42,518 16,694 39

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#176167 - 06/08/06 10:37 AM Re: 3 years of deaths
sardonicus Offline
Spawner

Loc: Spokane, Wa.
I read those numbers and thank the powers that be that I am not a statistic. I have in my youth driven a few times under the influence by today' standards. I was lucky as were the folks on the road with me. There are many who were not so lucky. It's sad that a tragedy has to happen before some get the message. I had some friends killed in a drunken driver accident. Cured me.
You don't have to be a rocket scientist to realize that in todays world of road rage, high speed traffic and constant juvenile foolishness, death is only a step away. Adults that should know better often set the wrong example, and the need for some to get a high via the adrenaline boost from a near death experience is one of the games people play. Some survive, some don't.
I believe, the penalties for first time dui should be harsher. By that I don't mean extended jail time for first timers. The experience in a jail with some of the hardened criminals would not be a useful one. However, there must be some way to penalize and educate those folks and change their values. ...more tax dollars.

#176169 - 06/27/06 04:08 PM Re: 3 years of deaths
Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
I don't understand why we allow people with DUI's to continue to purchase alcohol. It seems it would be easy to require a person to get a emblem (liquor endorsement stamp) placed on his or her drivers license or ID Card that would allow them to purchase it. Upon getting a DUI the license would be taken away and the person not allowed to get another stamp for a period of so many years. A law a would make it a crime to provide anyone drinks without showing the endorsement, even at private parties. I know this would be a pain, but I believe that it could drastically lower the reoccurence rate. The endorsement could also be taken away if a person has committed crimes, such a fights or domestic violence, while drunk or has been hospitalized for an alcohol related incident. This would make it harder for alcoholic street people to continue that abuse. It would also make it easier for a person with a drinking problem from relapsing. A while back I had to stop a fall down drunk man from driving home. He kept admitting he had a problem and asked me to just let him drive home and that he would be ok the next day. There was no way I was going to allow him to drive home as I watched him pass out at the light, and then almost had him run me over. He refused to let me drive him home and eventually the police came (they told me they had over twenty 911 calls from other drivers about him). I was also told that they thought it was his 5th offense. The whole thing made me sick. As much as I wanted him not to be able to hurt someone, I hated the thought of this apparantly well of 50-60 year old business man going to jail. I think he really did have a problem and that perhaps if it wasn't so easy for him to get the alcohol, he may have made it home that night with out relapsing.
Other than not wanting to hold other people responsible for the actions for the offender, does anyone have a real problem with this idea?

#176170 - 06/27/06 11:51 PM Re: 3 years of deaths
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
Nice thoughts, Krijack. Waste of time, tho. Can't keep an alcoholic from his booze for any length of time..not if he/she is of a mind to get drunk. I speak from experience. I had/have no concept of social drinking. I drank for effect, plain and simple. I love to drink..still do. I just don't. Been that way for over 19 years now. My wife drinks, but she is a social drinker. Damned if I can understand it. I'm not hooked up that way. I might start drinking today or tomorrow or the day after, but I'm sober again today and right now I'd like to keep it that way. I survived my drinking (so far)...it still remains to be seem if I can survive someone else's. Here's to you. beer

#176171 - 06/28/06 04:14 AM Re: 3 years of deaths
Aix sponsa Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Port Orchard
Quote:
Originally posted by Krijack:
I don't understand why we allow people with DUI's to continue to purchase alcohol. It seems it would be easy to require a person to get a emblem (liquor endorsement stamp) placed on his or her drivers license or ID Card that would allow them to purchase it. Upon getting a DUI the license would be taken away and the person not allowed to get another stamp for a period of so many years. A law a would make it a crime to provide anyone drinks without showing the endorsement, even at private parties. I know this would be a pain, but I believe that it could drastically lower the reoccurence rate. The endorsement could also be taken away if a person has committed crimes, such a fights or domestic violence, while drunk or has been hospitalized for an alcohol related incident. This would make it harder for alcoholic street people to continue that abuse. It would also make it easier for a person with a drinking problem from relapsing. A while back I had to stop a fall down drunk man from driving home. He kept admitting he had a problem and asked me to just let him drive home and that he would be ok the next day. There was no way I was going to allow him to drive home as I watched him pass out at the light, and then almost had him run me over. He refused to let me drive him home and eventually the police came (they told me they had over twenty 911 calls from other drivers about him). I was also told that they thought it was his 5th offense. The whole thing made me sick. As much as I wanted him not to be able to hurt someone, I hated the thought of this apparantly well of 50-60 year old business man going to jail. I think he really did have a problem and that perhaps if it wasn't so easy for him to get the alcohol, he may have made it home that night with out relapsing.
Other than not wanting to hold other people responsible for the actions for the offender, does anyone have a real problem with this idea?
Are you for real??????????????? beathead
they would just make it.

#176173 - 06/28/06 10:12 AM Re: 3 years of deaths
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Only going to get worse, AuntyM. We live in a State that is apprently not a very good place to live, but a great place to die. A lot of folks coming up here to get old after making their money elsewhere. They're not in a hurry to do much, so they plug up the roads, stores, rivers, boat lauches, etc., build a 4000 square foot house while joining an enviromentally active group, get on an exemption so I can pay their share of the taxes, and then tell me how much they are "contributing".

#176175 - 06/28/06 12:52 PM Re: 3 years of deaths
One Way Offline
Call me Sir

Loc: San Rafael, Ca. & Whidbey Isla...
It seems folks here paint with a broad brush on many topics. I thought the topic was drunk driving fatalities. The number of drunk driving deaths is scary. It is my understanding that an equal or greater amount is due to driver fatigue. How many of you on long hauls have attempted to drive through those times of tears running down your cheeks from trying to keep your eyes open? As for out of staters ( you can count me among them) I used to feel the same way about people coming to California.In fact I used to have a bumper sticker that said "welcome to California now go home". We cannot control where people decide to relocate, there are a variety of influences. But to pin traffic problems on retirees is a joke.The major traffic problems I have suffered through have been durring commute hours in the Seattle area. Now that I have told you where I am from, hate me if you must, but I will keep posting my opinions on topics I deem important

#176176 - 06/29/06 01:10 AM Re: 3 years of deaths
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Allow me to paraphrase. "I'm a retired Californian driving during commute hours...."

el defenso resto, your Honor.

#176179 - 06/29/06 01:53 PM Re: 3 years of deaths
One Way Offline
Call me Sir

AuntyM, I think you should prepare for the worst. I am not 100 % sure if this is accurate nor can I rember where I read it (those brain cells are clearly toast) but I think Washingtonians can expect a population increase of at least 20% over the next 10 years.....

#176181 - 06/29/06 05:43 PM Re: 3 years of deaths
One Way Offline
Call me Sir

You may consider Texas, I hear they got reel gud bass fishn.

#176185 - 06/30/06 01:29 AM Re: 3 years of deaths
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

From dictionary.com....Bigot....One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.

Recognize anyone? Not that anyone here is strongly partial or intolerant.... laugh

#176186 - 06/30/06 12:22 PM Re: 3 years of deaths
One Way Offline
Call me Sir

Oh my Slab you make me laugh. I think pretty much every one on the board is strongly for or against something. I find it amusing to no end, for now....The problem with most of it,is people form strong opinions using only the information that is useful to their case. They remind me of some of my construction co-workers "loud and wrong".

#176187 - 06/30/06 11:26 PM Re: 3 years of deaths
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Glad to hear you didn't take it personal. I have a long history here in this State and am definitely opinionated (see "bigot"). I like folks who form their own opinions, are self reliant, open and truthful. Backstabbing, secrets, and running from conflict are not ingredients I admire. I am not above sarcasm, but I doubt you will find me calling anyone names, except possibly in jest. I think that makes me "old school" and I like it just fine, thank you very much. Welcome and I hope you closed the gate behind you. beer

#176188 - 07/01/06 12:31 AM Re: 3 years of deaths
sardonicus Offline
Spawner

Loc: Spokane, Wa.
Good, glad the bigot word is nailed down. I must be an Islamobigot. I figure they are out to kill or convert every infidel mutt on the planet and that makes me dislike them. ergo I'm a bigot.

#1044189 - 12/19/20 07:07 AM Re: 3 years of deaths [Re: Jerry Garcia]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
one is too many and 12 is not enough

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Al Gore, czer, Robb92, wallyw
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 807 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645406 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |