Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#512926 - 06/06/09 09:26 PM iPhone questions
Oregonian Offline
Three Time Spawner

I'm thinking about getting an iPhone, I hear they are just about to release a new-better version, should I wait ?

What does the term "jail broke" mean ?

#512932 - 06/06/09 10:35 PM Re: iPhone questions [Re: Oregonian]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
It's never 100%, but the Apple Rumor Mills out there are saying a new faster/better iPhone will be released in late June or early July. The phone will have a faster processor, better battery life, video, better camera, and a new OS that will do a whole ton of cool stuff.

Apple tries, although not very hard, to keep some control on the phone software and what you can and can't do with it.

Smart people very early on figured out through some very easy software mean to "break" in to the phone so as to allow "features" and "processes" that are currently not allowed or supported by Apple with a standard, non "broken" phone.

A big "jail breaking" feature that Europe loves is that they can "break" the phone to work with other carriers, other than just AT&T. That's why you can still sell an older iphone to someone in Europe for a lot of $$$. Almost what you paid for it.

While I don't bother to break my phone, it's easy to do. Just download the necessary software, read a couple of instructions, and about a minute later, your phone is "jail broke" and you can start doing all kinds of hacks and crap with it.

Apple will "update" it's phone software with a minor update and all those hacks you just installed won't work - until they are updated, etc. I just don't play that stupid game, as there are literally about a million kick-ass applications you can download for the iPhone.

My advice is to wait a month.

If not, I'll trade you straight across today - my iPhone G3 for your new NULA 7mm-08. Deal? wink

Seriously - wait until the end of this month. Best free advice you'll get from me tonight.

laugh

#512938 - 06/06/09 11:06 PM Re: iPhone questions [Re: The Moderator]
Oregonian Offline
Three Time Spawner

Thanks for the info Parker, I'll have to think on the trade offer for a spell...

Is there a preffered place to buy these things ?
Is there any way to keep my cell service plan with U.S.Cellular ?
Do you think the new version will have a phazer ?

#512943 - 06/06/09 11:30 PM Re: iPhone questions [Re: Oregonian]
Vic Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa, USA
I got my i Phone about a year ago, there are a couple of things that make crazy.

First the battery life sucks. I would be curious to know how much they improved it.

Second I can't receive pictures via text. If someone sends me text pics of their cromage then I have to log into the At&T website to see them. Kind of pisses me off.

Lastly the 8 gig doesn't hold enough, I should have gotten the 16 gig.

Other than that, I love this thing. If you are thinking of getting one I would recommend you do. I consider my i Phone to be the coolest piece of technology I have ever owned!

#512951 - 06/07/09 12:23 AM Re: iPhone questions [Re: Oregonian]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Originally Posted By: Oregonian
Is there a preffered place to buy these things ?
Is there any way to keep my cell service plan with U.S.Cellular ?
Do you think the new version will have a phazer ?

a) Apple Store or AT&T Store
b) At the moment, unless things change with the new phone, you gotta switch over to AT&T.
c) Light-Saber, maybe. Phaser, no.

Originally Posted By: Vic
First the battery life sucks. I would be curious to know how much they improved it.

Second I can't receive pictures via text.

Battery life is directly related to the features you have turned on/off on your 3G phone. Things like BlueTooth, Wireless, 3G, and the GPS features eat battery life. Turn off the features you do not use on a daily basis.

Battery life on the 3G may (or may not) improve with the new iPhone 3.0 is released along with the new iPhones. Battery life management is somewhat software related. Apple does need to improve on that, as the 3G battery life is not stellar during heavy use of the phone.

One of the new features of 3.0 is the addition of MMS - the feature that allows you to send/receive photos. Another feature of 3.0 is the ability to copy/paste.

Even for those of us with the older 3G phones, the new 3.0 iPhone OS will greatly improve your phone. That will be coming out at the same time the new iPhones are out. Soon. End of the month kinda soon.

thumbs

#512976 - 06/07/09 11:51 AM Re: iPhone questions [Re: ]
Oregonian Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: stam
why iphone, I mostly use my phone for 2 minute conversations and lookin' at naked pics of blondebud...can I do better than with my antique LG?

I think you can zoom in on the pics with an iphone.

I went to Apple's site and watched the demo video on the iphone, that really impressed me, if you are even a little curious (phone curious, not the "other" curious) I recomend the video.

I don't know what to think about hacking into the phone to steal stuff... I'm not too rightous to record movies with a VCR, but then the VCR can't tell on me. These smart phones must be able to track everything you steal with it, and even know when I'm speeding on the freeway.....................................do I need a tinfoil hat ? !

#512988 - 06/07/09 01:35 PM Re: iPhone questions [Re: Oregonian]
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

Loc: seattle
Stam get one of the waterproof phones (if you have Verizon). They rule. A bit large and heavy but it really works. Mine has been in the water 3 times and still works. They aren't expensive either.
I think the iphones are cool and all but I'd be wasting my money as it would surely get drowned.

#512994 - 06/07/09 02:40 PM Re: iPhone questions [Re: seastrike]
IrishRogue Offline
Poon it! Poon it! Poon it!

Loc: Yarrow Point
Stam, you may not need an iPhone, if all you want is a basic phone/text messaging system. It's not much better than your phone at those things, and is maybe worse at just making phone calls (just see how many touches it takes you to call a 7 digit number, vs a regular phone)

The things I think are great about my (original, older model) iphone are:
* Tides & Currents apps for fishing the salt
* Acceptable though not nearly great camera, which can easily email photos (love sending pics to my kids when I'm travelling)
* Very good email client if you are in the USA travelling anywhere you can get/send email easily
* Some decent games can be had (play fieldrunners while flying)
* Podcasts of Robbo/The Outdoor Line (plus any other ipod stuff--music, video)
* Surprisingly useful google maps on your phone -- even fake-GPS's your location on the old phone by cellphone tower signal strength.

In all pretty darn useful--especially in the USA where the data plan is flat-rate, I almost never travel with a computer anymore, just my phone and wallet.

#513075 - 06/08/09 10:51 AM Re: iPhone questions [Re: ]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
Yes Wait a month, the new one will be so cool I may even get one wink

#513080 - 06/08/09 11:40 AM Re: iPhone questions [Re: Sky-Guy]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

They might be announced today.....

Stay tuned. Announcement should happen by 11:00 am....

#513125 - 06/08/09 02:54 PM Re: iPhone questions [Re: ]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

The iPhone 3.0 OS will be available on June 17th.

They are still yacking away about it......

#513127 - 06/08/09 03:01 PM Re: iPhone questions [Re: The Moderator]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

The new Apple iPhone 3GS....

Speedier
Will come with a new 3MP auto-focus camera
Video Capability w/video capture.
Digital Compass
VoiceOver Support
Data Encryption
Instant Remote Wipe
encrypted itunes backup
9 hours of internet surfing, 10 hours of video, 30 hours of audio, 12 hours of 2G talk time, 5 hours of 3G talk time
Eco Friendly

AT&T PRices:

16GB iPhone 3GS $199. Ships with 3.0
$299 for the 32GB
(for new and qualifying customers)

AVAILABLE JUNE 19!!!!!!!

Apple:

Existing 8GB 3G still only $99

#513129 - 06/08/09 03:06 PM Re: iPhone questions [Re: The Moderator]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Since I've never had a cell phone do am I a new and qualified customer?

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#513131 - 06/08/09 03:10 PM Re: iPhone questions [Re: Jerry Garcia]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Yes.

AT&T loves new money.

#513144 - 06/08/09 04:59 PM Re: iPhone questions [Re: The Moderator]
Oregonian Offline
Three Time Spawner

Is the iPod Touch the same animal, just the cell phone feature missing ?

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jordan, UncleChris
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (wolverine), 1179 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |