Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#735328 - 01/23/12 01:31 AM Maybe my tomatos will get ripe next summer
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall

#735371 - 01/23/12 10:17 AM Re: Maybe my tomatos will get ripe next summer [Re: ]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Up here we almost never get good ripe tomatoes on the wet side. We go to the dry side –around Yakima - and buy all the fixings for salsa then make big batches. I will make you some. I like mine hot too.

#735377 - 01/23/12 10:55 AM Re: Maybe my tomatos will get ripe next summer [Re: Dave Vedder]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
We have had some success here on the wet side if you try some of the following:

Grow the plants inside a tire or two. The black of the tire holds and absorbs heat.

Grow them next to a fence, concrete foundation wall, etc. In both cases the reflected heat really helped.

Place aluminum foil sheet around the base. Not only does it keeps the weeds down but reflects heat.

We even got quite a few nice ripe ones last year, even though spring didn't come until July.

Lastly, we buy pretty good sized plants to set out. Takes way too long, for us, to start seeds even in the house and get good harvests.

#735380 - 01/23/12 11:17 AM Re: Maybe my tomatos will get ripe next summer [Re: Carcassman]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Carcassman

I have been growing tomatoes here for at least 40 years. Sometime okay sometimes not. All of your tips are good - except the one about planting large plants. To my surprise, extensive research has shown that planting small plants produces more tomatoes and a faster harvest. I think the study was done my OSU but am too lazy to look it up.

Even in the years we get lots of ripe tomatoes they are not IMHO as good as the big thin-skinned delicious ones grown in eastern Washington.

Of course I still grow them, as the worst ripe tomato from my garden is 100 times better than those red plastic balls sold in grocery stores. In recent years I have been growing a Japanese heirloom from Territorial called Black somethingorother. It is I the best tasting I have grown yet.
Have you tried the new grafted tomatoes? They claim to ripen faster and be healthier.

Edited by Dave Vedder (01/23/12 11:36 AM)

#735397 - 01/23/12 12:55 PM Re: Maybe my tomatos will get ripe next summer [Re: ]
JohnQ Offline
Spawner

Loc: COF in the Upper Left Hand Cor...
We have very good luck with those hanging upside down tomato baskets. We do have them in a greenhouse which helps with the heat.

AuntyM -- What Crab Audit???? Not That POS Senior AssHat Published!!!!

Hey Mr Childers, have you corrected that Scofflaw Spreadsheet Yet?????

#736620 - 01/29/12 03:38 PM Re: Maybe my tomatos will get ripe next summer [Re: ]
GutZ Offline
The Original Boat Ho

Loc: Bellevue
We have been growing Tomatoes for at least 10 years. Like said above, some years good, some meh.

It is not too soon to start your plants . Check this out
http://www.amazon.com/Jiffy-5089-Starter-Greenhouse-36-Plant/dp/B00318RL46
These things work great. You might find them at Home Depot, but not for a few eeks at best.

Here is an interesting article written by a tomato fanatic
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/al...html?cmpid=2628

#736710 - 01/30/12 09:08 AM Re: Maybe my tomatos will get ripe next summer [Re: ]
donno Offline
The Cool kid

Loc: baker prairie
Has anyone had much success with tomatillo's? I thought about trying some this year.

#736715 - 01/30/12 10:26 AM Re: Maybe my tomatos will get ripe next summer [Re: donno]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

I have done fine with them. In fact, I get volunteers every year from the previous year's crop. I expect there are various types with various maturity dates, so . . .

#736759 - 01/30/12 02:09 PM Re: Maybe my tomatos will get ripe next summer [Re: donno]
CedarR Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Olympia, WA
Originally Posted By: donno
Has anyone had much success with tomatillo's? I thought about trying some this year.

We grew tomatillo's for the first time last year. No problems with disease. Didn't require much care. Their production was nothing short of amazing. All three plants were so loaded with tomatillos that they pulled the tomato cages we were using for support over. They'll be in the garden again this year!

#736766 - 01/30/12 02:33 PM Re: Maybe my tomatos will get ripe next summer [Re: CedarR]
cobble cruiser Offline
~B-F-D~

"We have a few wet weather systems to get through before then...starting tomorrow morning... but no lowland snow or major storms. We now have only a month left of western WA winter---after the 3rd week of February the worst is almost always over the lowlands. The sun becomes stronger, bulbs push up, and the lawns need to be mowed again. And yes, we can start thinking about those tomato plants."- Cliff Mass, Thursday January 26th, 2012.

http://cliffmass.blogspot.com/[/url]

Edited by cobble cruiser (01/30/12 02:35 PM)

#736780 - 01/30/12 03:44 PM Re: Maybe my tomatos will get ripe next summer [Re: cobble cruiser]
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

I've heard that old age can cause your tomatoes to touch the ground but I haven't experienced that yet.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
free time, greenlayoid, Kokanee Kids, Lisa Tyree, SpinyRay
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 952 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645426 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |