Rate This Topic
#864787 - 10/25/13 06:42 PM Eminent domain
blackmouth Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: right place/wrong time
Seattle seizes elderly woman's parking lot to turn it into -- a parking lot
Published October 25, 2013
FoxNews.com

UNDATED: The city of Seattle is using its power of eminent domain to force a 103-year-old woman to give up her private waterfront parking lot to make way for a city-owned parking lot. (Q13FOX.com)

The city of Seattle is forcing a 103-year-old woman to give up her private waterfront parking lot to make way for a city-owned parking lot.

The City Council voted Monday to use its power of eminent domain to acquire the lot owned by Spokane resident Myrtle Woldson, who has repeatedly turned down offers to purchase the property, Q13FOX.com reported.

According to the Puget Sound Business Journal, the city wants to acquire Woldson's property to mitigate the loss of other parking lots during the construction of a $2.1 billion tunnel that will replace the Alaskan Way Viaduct.

City officials have said that they plan to keep the lot for surface parking, even though city and state transportation documents call for structured parking along Seattle's central waterfront area, including Woldson's lot, the newspaper reported.

Gary Beck, president of Republic Parking Northwest, which operates the lot, told the Puget Sound Business Journal that Woldson once turned down a $20 million-dollar offer for the property.

“It makes no fiscal sense to me to have the city condemn a parking lot to make more parking,” Beck said.

The city has not indicated what they will offer Woldson for the property. She still has the opportunity to challenge the taking and the eventual selling price in court.

Glen Morgan of the Freedom Foundation, an Olympia-based free-market think tank, told Q13FOX.com there are several bills moving through the Washington Legislature that would revamp the state's eminent domain laws and extend more rights to property owners.

”In this case, the city of Seattle is using eminent domain to seize a parking lot, so they can use it as a parking lot,” Morgan said. “There’s no public good in that at all.”

"So it goes." Kurt Vonnegut jr.

#864788 - 10/25/13 06:45 PM Re: Eminent domain [Re: blackmouth]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Obama must be taking timeout from grabbing guns to grab parking lots.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#864795 - 10/25/13 06:57 PM Re: Eminent domain [Re: ]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Originally Posted By: FishPrince
The government can take any of your property that it wants, it just has to pay you fair market value for it.

There is supposed to be a legitimate public purpose, too, along with paying fair market value.

Fish on...

Todd

#864799 - 10/25/13 07:01 PM Re: Eminent domain [Re: ]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

That's why it says "supposed to be a legitimate public use"...it's a very, very easy standard for the State to reach.

Fish on...

Todd

#864808 - 10/25/13 07:13 PM Re: Eminent domain [Re: ]
blackmouth Offline
River Nutrients

I have had my property "purchased" from me from the state of Washington under the threat of condemnation by eminent domain.
It was no walk in the park and it hurt me financially. The state employees seemed to think it was a game. Large property holders can do much better because of the structure of the laws, I have explained the matter in a previous post. Small holders have a much harder time coming to an equitable agreement with the state, believe me small holders are bullied.

Consider that as distasteful as my encounter was, my property was taken for a highway project. This persons property is being taken by a city, it is currently a parking lot, being taken so as to make a parking lot.

#864814 - 10/25/13 07:28 PM Re: Eminent domain [Re: ]
blackmouth Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Hankster
That brings up another question or two. Will the people who are working at the parking lot now be able to keep their jobs when the state owns the parking lot? Will they have to join whatever union it is that controls the parking lots?

Oh Hank, you must be joking, we all know that if we want the the economy to flourish we will need many more government jobs. As only the government can afford to pay a proper wage to the masses. Whats that you say? Where will the money come from? Mr. Krugman says, no worries.

#864817 - 10/25/13 07:35 PM Re: Eminent domain [Re: ]
blackmouth Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Steelspanker
Originally Posted By: Hankster
Will they have to join whatever union it is that controls the parking lots?

Oh, I hope so. That will spice things up around here.

Yep, all of the Democratic islanders can commute, by way of the government run ferries, to the government run parking lot, and all of the time you are protected, by the government run heath care system. hello hello A kin to a government supplied condom. beer

#864821 - 10/25/13 07:52 PM Re: Eminent domain [Re: blackmouth]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
eminent domain is the only tool available to deal with folks who regard their home and their home......to the owner it is not an investment in monetary terms, it's an emotional investment and not for sale....... and this runs contrary to government perspective in every regard......

#864825 - 10/25/13 08:22 PM Re: Eminent domain [Re: ]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Originally Posted By: FP
but I do care if they take my $hithole party pad. Where do they expect me to get fukked up and get laid at?

rofl

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#864826 - 10/25/13 08:35 PM Re: Eminent domain [Re: ]
cruzn99 Offline
Returning Adult

Where do they expect me to get fukked up and get laid at?

craigslist?

Having rental properties is probably a good revenue stream and I have thought about owning some myself but damn, I don't know how you could deal with renters.

everhook

#864828 - 10/25/13 08:50 PM Re: Eminent domain [Re: Dan S.]
YBD
Unregistered

"Sip it, lick it, put my weiner in it!"

Sober Steve-O sucks.

#864829 - 10/25/13 08:51 PM Re: Eminent domain [Re: cruzn99]
YBD
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: cruzn99
Where do they expect me to get fukked up and get laid at?

craigslist?

Having rental properties is probably a good revenue stream and I have thought about owning some myself but damn, I don't know how you could deal with renters.

He doesn't.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (wolverine, Carcassman), 1459 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |