Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#994864 - 10/18/18 06:51 AM Honey mushrooms
RICH G
Unregistered

Anybody on here have experience with them? I unintentionally grew a crap load of them by putting a tarp over some spalted maple logs, I pulled the tarp off yesterday to find what looks to be about 10 pounds of them. Have not harvested any as I am only 99% sure and I know the lookalikes are deadly. Tried a spore print overnight and checked this morning, no print yet, (supposed to be white). They are pretty good size up to 3 inches across the cap and growing in huge clumps.

I am kinda scared to eat them. I have tried many first time mushrooms after checking my mushroom bible as there isn't much risk with most but if you eat the wrong one of these there is a 50% mortality.

Edited by RICH G (10/18/18 06:54 AM)

#994874 - 10/18/18 09:38 AM Re: Honey mushrooms [Re: ]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Eating them sounds like an excellent idea.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#994875 - 10/18/18 09:57 AM Re: Honey mushrooms [Re: ]
CedarR Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Olympia, WA
Originally Posted By: RICH G
...if you eat the wrong one of these there is a 50% mortality.

That's the downside; upside is you might get by with a liver transplant.
Do you feel lucky?

Are you seeing any chanterelles on your hunting forays?

#994883 - 10/18/18 11:51 AM Re: Honey mushrooms [Re: ]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
I have never seen honey mushrooms in that gigantic of a patch.

Post some pics!

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#994888 - 10/18/18 11:59 AM Re: Honey mushrooms [Re: Dan S.]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Originally Posted By: Dan S.
Eating them sounds like an excellent idea.

I concur. This type of free advice is exactly what the internet and the Darkside is made for!

Originally Posted By: CedarR
Do you feel lucky?

He does on Tuesdays!

#994941 - 10/18/18 10:09 PM Re: Honey mushrooms [Re: ]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Eat em' and wash em' down with some of that homebrew DMT. Film it and post the video here.

DO IT!

*Edit: my lawyer saw my post and said I shouldn't say that considering today's online bullying laws and what not. So officially I must retract that statement and replace it with....

DO IT NOW!

#994944 - 10/18/18 11:05 PM Re: Honey mushrooms [Re: NickD90]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

We use to harvest liberty caps in the Kent valley. They have a purple ring under the cap. They really made us laugh a lot. thumbs

- Albert Einstein.

#995015 - 10/20/18 10:44 AM Re: Honey mushrooms [Re: ]
RICH G
Unregistered

I am going to put up some pictures tonight hopefully once my daughter sends them to me, she took some professional quality ones. Anyways I am sure they are honeys but I think they need some time to mature before I pick them. I tried to get a spore print but I did not get one after 24 hours, I think the cap was too young, but one of the most mature I found.

I tell you if you want to grow your own mushrooms I found out by accident, drag a few dead maple or alder logs with the bark on to a location which gets full sun less than 8 hours a day, sticker them so they are a few inches off of the ground and put a heavy tarp over them, (I had a silver/brown 12x24). Mine were infested with spores apparently but I bet you could add spores for Shitake or other types, It mattered that the logs were under the tarp because the ones outside the tarp got no mushrooms. Make sure the logs are spaced apart with 8 to 14 inches between them, because that is where the mushroom grow about half way up the side of the log and towards the ground, the mushrooms on the 3 logs I had covered are pretty thick in that zone in the darkest areas under the tarp, where they get more light and air they thin out. Since the logs are off the ground, not so may bugs and they are really clean.

I think I figured out how the logs were "seeded" I don't think it was from spores. I think that it was the spalt on the surface of the log, specifically the black lines which go into the log ,also when you saw a log with this type of spalt the black lines are called "ink pen spalt" the lines look like that of an ink pen. I think this black line spalt is from the honey fungus.

Edited by RICH G (10/20/18 11:20 AM)

#995024 - 10/20/18 08:00 PM Re: Honey mushrooms [Re: ]
RICH G
Unregistered

#995025 - 10/20/18 08:35 PM Re: Honey mushrooms [Re: ]
RICH G
Unregistered

cant figure out how to post pictures. So I just linked this.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...e=3&theater

#995037 - 10/22/18 11:41 AM Re: Honey mushrooms [Re: ]
cohoangler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Vancouver, Washington
Be careful. Be extremely careful.

Honey mushrooms are a great edible. Their name is Armillaria mellea. They have light brown to dark brown caps. They grow on dead and decaying wood. In the fall. They are delicious.

However, there is a poisonous look-alike, the deadly Galerina (Galerina autumnalus).

They have light to dark brown caps. They grow on dead and decaying wood. In the fall. This mushroom will kill you. Slowly. Painfully. Completely.

There are a couple videos on YouTube that helps explain the differences. Do a quick search on YouTube to understand this. Don't eat honey mushrooms until you are confident you know the difference.

Your life depends on it. I'm not kidding.

#995041 - 10/22/18 01:00 PM Re: Honey mushrooms [Re: ]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
I've never been that hungry.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#995046 - 10/22/18 02:06 PM Re: Honey mushrooms [Re: ]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

which one?

#995049 - 10/22/18 02:48 PM Re: Honey mushrooms [Re: ]
cohoangler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Vancouver, Washington
Evo asks the right question.

There are lots of mushrooms with hallucinogenic properties. Just do a quick internet search on "psilocybin mushrooms". Look at the pics.

There are lots of varieties to choose from.....

#995051 - 10/22/18 03:16 PM Re: Honey mushrooms [Re: ]
Snake Pliskin Offline
Bead

Loc: Duvall
Back in the early 80's, my father's lawn had a lot of those psilocybin mushrooms. So many, that multiple HS kids would venture on to his lawn and pick them. My dad was kind of a bad ass and didn't like that, so one day he saw a kid doing it, went around the house and took a full run at him ala Kam Chancellor with a forearm shiver and dropped him. Before the kid could get up and run, my dad sat on his chest and shoved the bag of mushrooms in his mouth, saying "you want them so bad, let me help you". He then dragged the kid in the garage and made him give his phone number. My dad called and the kid's dad came and got him. Nobody stepped on his lawn again.

#995053 - 10/22/18 07:53 PM Re: Honey mushrooms [Re: ]
RICH G
Unregistered

Cooking some buttons right now.

The bad ones have a rusty brown spore print and yellow or brown gills, smooth cap.(Galerina)

The ones I have a white spore print, white gills and scaly cap. (Honey Mushroom) gills connect to the stem, line go down stem to ring.

I researched for 3 days before I harvested any. So far I harvested 20lbs between yesterday and today, dried yesterdays caps last night and have more drying tonight. There is way more than I thought, when I cut my first ones I got down and looked under the logs and found that they go all the way under. There is probably 50 pounds left maybe more.

When you cook them the a thick liquid comes out, if you add water you get more thick liquid, but they smell good.

Edited by RICH G (10/22/18 07:54 PM)

#995060 - 10/22/18 09:35 PM Re: Honey mushrooms [Re: ]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
As the old saying goes…"some mushrooms are so filling, they'll fill a man for the rest of his life".

Good luck.

#995061 - 10/22/18 10:29 PM Re: Honey mushrooms [Re: ]
RICH G
Unregistered

Sautéed them with fresh garlic and butter, about 20 min, cooked them down first until all of the liquid evaporated and then turned the heat up and until they started popping out of the pan. Ate more than I had planned because they were really good, they did not shrink, stayed firm and were kinda chewy. Very mushroomy in taste but a unique flavor as well. They are one of the best mushrooms I have eaten, would be good on a burger with onions or in a gravy soup or stew or just really good sautéed. I will definitely finish harvesting and drying the rest of the caps but I am going to eat the buttons fresh.

#995062 - 10/22/18 11:58 PM Re: Honey mushrooms [Re: ]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

20 minutes ? You must like the texture of rubber. shocked

- Albert Einstein.

#995064 - 10/23/18 07:04 AM Re: Honey mushrooms [Re: ]
RICH G
Unregistered

"20 minutes ? You must like the texture of rubber"

not rubbery at all, you need to cook these mushrooms a long time but they don't get rubbery.

They are a strange mushroom in the way they maintain their size and firm texture, and they don't dry out while cooking, at least they show no sign of it even to 20 minutes.

Excellent flavor, wish I would have tried these a long time ago. Cant wait to try some dried ones in gravy.

Way more flavor than a chanterelle.

Edited by RICH G (10/23/18 07:05 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Alpne Dan, bjcarpetguy, red river, westcoastdayton
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (wolverine), 1040 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645379 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |