Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#186268 - 02/12/03 10:40 AM vessel security zone at point defiance
Mike Gilchrist Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Federal Way
Currious if anyone fishing point defiance has any knowledge of how the new coast guard vessel security zone of 100 yards around all ferries is being enforced. When that boat is at dock I do not believe that it is allways possible to navigate past the slag breakwater and not be in violation, or it is very close. With that boats very limited schedule, it sits at dock for a while at times. I am concerned that if this zone is enforced at that location, and these security restictions are in place into the summer, we could have a large problem with access.

#186269 - 02/12/03 11:15 AM Re: vessel security zone at point defiance
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
Hmmmm....interesting.

I think if anyone were to launch an attack on a ferry at Pt D. they would probably have to pay the $10 parking fee first. That alone is a deterrent. laugh Plus, a boat full of dynamite with a person of middle eastern decent behind the wheel would immediately raise suspicion. eek

#186270 - 02/12/03 11:31 AM Re: vessel security zone at point defiance
DUROBOAT15 Offline
Spawner

Loc: des moines
Mike,
I think your right the distance between the breakwater and the ferry dock is pretty close. Im not sure if its 100 yards or not. And I was wondering if they were going the have the gun boats that were in elliott bay last year inforcing the 100 yard zone around the navy ships doing that for the ferrys.It should be very interesting indeed like a giant game of musical chairs trying to avoid the ferry every time it heads accross the hole at the north end of the slag pile.

#186271 - 02/12/03 11:54 AM Re: vessel security zone at point defiance
Mike Gilchrist Offline
Juvenile at Sea

According to the boathouse, there has not been any enforcement yet that they are aware of, so it is probably not an imediate concern. I have a call into the CG and I expect they will get back to me. I intend to find out how they intend to enforce the regulations that area as the fines and punishment for a violation are pretty steep.

I am sure that the ferry captain gets frustrated at times with the boaters in that area as I have seen some people do some stupid things. I just hope that would not lead to strict enforcement.

If anyone has any problems or hears about anyone having problems I would appreciate any info. Thanks

#186272 - 02/12/03 12:40 PM Re: vessel security zone at point defiance
DUROBOAT15 Offline
Spawner

The news said that this 100 yard zone was for any high capacity passinger vessels ferrys and tour boats. What I was concerned about is the Elliott Bay fishery infront of Todds shipyard. The Argossy Tour boats always cruise right thru the fisherman there. And the Clipper boats go in and out of there I think to fuel up. This is a pretty busy area during the limited season.I hope they tell the tour boats to try to steer clear of the fisherman but I dont think they will.

#186273 - 02/12/03 01:05 PM Re: vessel security zone at point defiance
FISHEN1 Offline
Smolt

Loc: Tacoma
Interesting concern. I have been kicking around the idea of not getting another annual pass since they raised it to $200. If launching will be limited to when the ferry is not docked I defiantly won't. Are there any other boat launches close to Tacoma that sell an annual pass? Are there any less expensive launch sites?

#186274 - 02/12/03 01:43 PM Re: vessel security zone at point defiance
Mike Gilchrist Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Info from the coast guard:

-The regulation is set to expire in August.

-Enforcement of the 100 yard zone is going to be dependent on reports of violation made by the captain of the protected vessel, except in circumstances where a enforcement boat (coast guard, local law enforcement, WDFW enforcement, etc) observes obvious problem behavior.

-Warnings will be the most typical responce to violations.

-Permission to pass within 100 yards can be granted by the vessel captain.

#186275 - 02/12/03 01:55 PM Re: vessel security zone at point defiance
PiperFLA Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Bremerton WA, USA
Its time to mount machine guns on them there ferries...

I ride'em everyday and would be happy to man one for my crossing...

"But Mr Coast guard they looked like terrorists!"

eek shoot

I honestly believe that any attack will be from the inside. Why attack a ferry with a boat when you can drive a car right onto one...

#186276 - 02/12/03 02:06 PM Re: vessel security zone at point defiance
GutZ Offline
The Original Boat Ho

Loc: Bellevue
Terrorists Don't Fish. evil

#186277 - 02/12/03 02:13 PM Re: vessel security zone at point defiance
PiperFLA Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Bremerton WA, USA
But according to PETA all fisherman are terrorists laugh

#186278 - 02/12/03 02:37 PM Re: vessel security zone at point defiance
Jeffhead Offline
Spawner

Loc: Olympia, Washington
Prior to 9/11 the worst day I have seen out there was a mid August Saturday. Someone stalled right in the ferry lane in front of the ferry and it had to take some evasive action, a short while later the coasties were out in front and wouldn't let you troll through the ferry lane period, even if the ferry was over at Dalco. If it does happen it will screw up one of the best troll paths. You know Murphy's Law...if it can they will.
Good luck and tight lines, Jeff laugh laugh

#186279 - 02/12/03 03:36 PM Re: vessel security zone at point defiance
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Fishen1, there is a launch at Redondo but it is going to be closed all summer for a remodel. frown

#186280 - 02/12/03 04:22 PM Re: vessel security zone at point defiance
DUROBOAT15 Offline
Spawner

Easy,
My latest Des Moines news letter said that the exact dates for the closure have not been set.
But it did say they can only do the work between june and october and to plan on it being closed for most of the 2003 boating season. This is really going to put alot of pressure on the other launches. I wonder if they will open the slings in Des Moines earlyier than 6:00 am to help releive some of the pressure.

#186281 - 02/13/03 12:27 AM Re: vessel security zone at point defiance
kingfisherman Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Renton Wa
Is the boat launch at Pt Def. even 100 yards from the ferry dock. There is no way that the brake water is more then 100 yards from the ferry dock.

#186282 - 02/13/03 09:34 AM Re: vessel security zone at point defiance
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

They could open, to the public, the launch at Des Moines Yacht Club. Just an idea.

#186283 - 02/13/03 11:42 AM Re: vessel security zone at point defiance
DUROBOAT15 Offline
Spawner

Easy,
Im pretty sure that wont happen. Im a member and thats the launch I use. And its a great launch. But there are memberships open it costs $500 plus $30 a mounth dues. Than you get to use the launch and can leave your boat at the dock 2 days a week. But the dock gets pretty full in the summer time.I dont think they would open it due to the limited parking,insurance problems, and the limitations it would put on the people that pay to use and up keep on the ramp.
Also it would have to go up to a vote of the membership and it would never pass.

#186284 - 02/13/03 09:06 PM Re: vessel security zone at point defiance
Mike Gilchrist Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Just to keep everyone up on the latest info,
the Coast Guard is now enforcing a 500-yard security zone around state ferries. This lasts into August. What is the distance at the Mukilteo ramp?

#186285 - 02/14/03 09:20 AM Re: vessel security zone at point defiance
DUROBOAT15 Offline
Spawner

Well took a look at my chart and under the 1500' zone it looks like the ramps that are within the zone are Pt.Defiance.Mukilteo,Steilacoom and Pt.Angeles. And fishing areas that are in the ferry zone that may be affected Clay Banks,Allan Bank, Dolphin Pt. Pt. Dalco,Appletree cove and Duwamish Head.And im sure there are more. 1500' seems a little excessive.

#186286 - 02/14/03 11:18 AM Re: vessel security zone at point defiance
Haifisch Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Silverdale WA
I wonder what the response would be to a range finder, trying to make sure you are far enough away could look like a threat I suppose?

#186287 - 02/14/03 12:56 PM Re: vessel security zone at point defiance
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
The launch at Keystone[Whidbey Island] is extemely close to the ferry.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Schmidtm, schmidty, Spinhead
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 903 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |