LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#192474 - 03/30/03 09:29 PM grayland surf perch??
philpac33 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: offut lake/lacey
haven't been since last year, really killed 'em but i don't remember exactly when i went...want to take a day off of steelheading and am making plans to go to grayland tomorrow...anyone know if it's any good right now??

#192475 - 03/31/03 12:05 PM Re: grayland surf perch??
wooldridge Offline
Parr

Loc: Centralia
I am not sure but sure would like to know as well. The last few times we went to the Westport area arround there, I have not had any luck.. Maybe its the timing. I thought it was mostly in the Summer months.

Jeff

#192476 - 03/31/03 02:48 PM Re: grayland surf perch??
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

Phil,

I get serious from May through September. Go on a nice day with gentle surf and fish the last hour of the outgoing tide throught the first couple hours of incoming tide. A minus tide is preferred but not essential. Walk the beach looking for depressions. Use fresh sandshrimp for best results. Once you find em', limits are usually pretty quick.

#192477 - 03/31/03 10:03 PM Re: grayland surf perch??
philpac33 Offline
Returning Adult

yeah, still a little early, after i got to thinking about it it was sunny and shortsleeves when we killed em last year...skunked in the surf but did get into a few rockfish at the marina...PROCRASTINATOR NO MORE!! turned in my punch cards today at the montesano wdfw

#192478 - 04/01/03 11:25 AM Re: grayland surf perch??
Rockhopper Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Olympia
Best perch baits: small chunks of sandshrimp, prawns/reg shrimp, worms, shorecrabs, small pieces of squid, and also clam necks/guts

Best months: April & on .... sorry, not to keen on when they start showing up, but when it ain't rough, they'll be there for sure

Cast to breaks in the wave. Look before you cast, it'll save you time and wasted energy chucking that 2-6 oz of lead. If you see an incoming wave get split down the middle, note that spot and fish the split. also look for calm spots in the middle of the rough stuff(kind of hard to see esp when everything looks kind of rough(do some recon from the watchtower firstif you plan to fish from westport at all with binoculars of course!) watch for diving sea birds. count the number of waves that break in a particular area for a minute. if the place you're at has high number of waves breaking at the shore there's a pretty good chance that there's a slope out there. and last but not the least by any means, don't turn your back to the mighty Pacific or she'll sneak up on ya real quick!!!

got get 'em!

forgot to tell ya, use small hooks no bigger than a #2 but no smaller than a #6

#192479 - 04/02/03 01:43 AM Re: grayland surf perch??
philpac33 Offline
Returning Adult

thanks for all the replies, my buddy and i stopped at englund marine on our way, he picked up a new 10.5 steelie rod and a cheap shakespear reel for the salt, we also found a few pre-rigged surf perch setups..pretty much just a leader, large cheater,lead, and couple swivels..what made it worth buying was the 5" piece of thin guage copper wire that was very pliable to wrap your sandshrimp(or any other bait)..kept it on better than anything i've used, even in the pounding surf...i need to find some of this wire, i've got some new ideas wink :p

#192480 - 04/02/03 05:43 PM Re: grayland surf perch??
baitbouncer Offline
Smolt

Loc: Grays harbor(central park)
philpac,
sounds like a nice trip...but you did'nt mention the part about you getting stuck in the sand, and having to pay a guy $40$ bones to get you out...sounds fun though.

#192481 - 04/02/03 07:06 PM Re: grayland surf perch??
philpac33 Offline
Returning Adult

4wd went out in the old jeep, new truck in the works, the jeep is now officially retired from the beach, i would have asked you for a ride chrome-comb but those dui's really kill a guys license beathead beathead beathead ... how's that occupational license deal going?? maybe you can ride with me this weekend and show you how to catch some spawners, i need someone to take the pictures....by the way are you still 0 for the year on the steelies??

#192482 - 04/03/03 10:47 PM Re: grayland surf perch??
baitbouncer Offline
Smolt

Loc: Grays harbor(central park)
na I actually got about 6...not counting the 2 from last weekend. beer hello

#192483 - 04/04/03 12:31 AM Re: grayland surf perch??
CedarR Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Olympia, WA
We get the copper wire strands, for surf fishing, by stripping 300 ohm antenna wire (flat brown TV type). Cut to length, pass one end thru the hook eye, wrap the wire around itself once or twice, and then around your sandshrimp.

#192484 - 04/04/03 11:57 PM Re: grayland surf perch??
philpac33 Offline
Returning Adult

you should forward me those pictures chrome-comb, i'd really like to see them beer

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
ET, kbrain57, OLYBEAV
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Krijack), 559 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |