Tuesday, April 8, 2003

P-I's Horsey wins second Pulitzer Prize
Cartoonist says 2002 was rich in targets

SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER STAFF and NEWS SERVICES

David Horsey, the Post-Intelligencer's award-winning editorial cartoonist, doesn't typically sip champagne at work at midday. But he's starting to get used to it.

HORSEY'S PULITZER GALLERY

<http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/dayart/20020929/65horsey20020929c.gif>

See David Horsey's winning editorial cartoons

Bubbly flowed in the P-I newsroom in 1999 when Horsey was awarded a Pulitzer Prize -- journalism's most prestigious honor -- for editorial cartooning. Corks popped again yesterday when Horsey achieved a rarity: a second Pulitzer for cartooning.

In the award's 81-year history, he is only the 11th editorial cartoonist, and the first in 18 years, to win multiple Pulitzers.

Horsey, 51, the P-I's editorial cartoonist since 1979, was honored for his 2002 work. The Pulitzer committee recognized him for cartoons "executed with a distinctive style and sense of humor."

"I ... couldn't have done it without the Supreme Court that made George W. Bush president," the red-haired cartoonist jokingly told applauding, cheering and champagne-sipping P-I colleagues.
[Horsey wins Pulitzer]
[Zoom] Meryl Schenker / P-I
The P-I's David Horsey won his second Pulitzer Prize today for editorial cartooning.

Many of the 2002 cartoons that won him the second Pulitzer poked fun at Bush administration policies, everything from forests to tax cuts to joblessness, just as many of his 1998 Pulitzer cartoons skewered then-President Clinton and intern Monica Lewinsky, whose affair erupted into scandal.