Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#202515 - 07/01/03 03:33 PM king Help
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Gold Bar
I would like to target some of the kings in the Sky this weekend, do you think it is more effective to plug through the holes or anchor up in one for a while?

#202516 - 07/01/03 03:53 PM Re: king Help
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Yes and yes.

Use a bait diver and whole sandshrimp with a spin-n-glow. Hot-n-Tots for normal water and Mag-tots for the deeper slots. Work that bait diver through the slot nice and slow and side to side. Work it some more...and more...and more. If you see some fish rolling, work it some more. If that doesn't work, and you can row back up to the head of the hole, sit on anchor with your baits out. Kings mill around in the slots and will eventually come close to your baits one way or the other.

Persistence will get these fish to bite.

Usually, when I've targeted kings on the Sky, I'll pick 2-3 known good deep slots and work the snot out of them. You should be able pick up some fish...or at least get a take down or two.

This fish was from last year at this time. Hit the shrimp while on anchor. Some of you can probably figure out where that is. That's almost always good for at least one fish. wink

#202517 - 07/01/03 03:57 PM Re: king Help
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
If you know of a hole or two where the kings will hold, I would work that hole for a while, throwing several proven offerings until they bite. My "go-to" for Sky kings is a corky/yarn in oranges and reds with Sand Shrimp.

Dang, I need to get my butt up there and target those beasts. Let me know if you want any company over the next week or two because I am on vacation.

#202518 - 07/01/03 05:16 PM Re: king Help
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Parker

"Use a bait diver and whole sandshrimp with a spin-n-glow. Hot-n-Tots for normal water and Mag-tots for the deeper slots. "

When using the bait divers, do you run just one on the middle rod, or do you run them on all three plug rods?

If I get one like in the picture I will be happy. laugh

#202519 - 07/01/03 07:03 PM Re: king Help
Beezer Offline
Spawner

Loc: Monroe WA
Another question in the same theme. Say you were fishing in either a drift boat or sled and your journeys would take you into legal chinook water (mouth of the Wallace to Lewis St) but also your take out would be outside this area. Say further your lucky enough to get a marked chinook in the legal area. Can you still go outside the area, with the bonked marked chinook, to your take-out?

Beezer

#202520 - 07/01/03 07:19 PM Re: king Help
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
I'd say probably not Gary. With a sled it would be a moot point. If you want to target kings and summers both, launch either at Sultan or Lewis St. In a drift boat I'd say take out somewhere within the legal area if you want to bonk a king. Otherwise what's to stop someone from getting one in say the blue tarp hole, or the Snohomish itself, taking out at Doug bar, and claiming they caught it at Buck Island.

You goin' out this weekend LT? Good luck! smile

#202521 - 07/01/03 09:34 PM Re: king Help
Beezer Offline
Spawner

Loc: Monroe WA
Thanks 4 Salt, I realize how to be perfectly "legal" however, would a person get "busted" for having in their boat a bonked marked chinook at, say the Tualco take out (below the Lewis St boundry line) that they caught legally in the area that is open? I realize that WDFW has stipulated the open areas to protect wild stocks of concern from extra pressure and I would never promote "fake c&r" on any species of concern. I think that if I planned to take out in an area outside the legal zone I'd would release all chinook, marked or unmarked so as not to open any excuse for "others" to abuse the law.

#202523 - 07/02/03 12:36 AM Re: king Help
sandpiper Offline
Parr

Loc: SW Washington
Nice nooker there Parker!

It's hard to tell but it looks a little like the mouth of the Wallace could be behind your head there in the pic?

If no one is bank fishing it there, which isn't often, I like to anchor high up on the mix line of the Sky and Wallace water. especially if theres some snowmelt color in the Sky with the Wallace kicking out clear. I try good eggs first, both plunked with lead and float fished a couple feet off bottom along that nice seam. Try that off to the sides of it too. I follow that with a pink and white jig with a shrimp tail added and then a brighter orange and red one. If still no bites I follow those things with a filet wrapped Kwikie while still on anchor. No bites yet? If fish are definitely there I then rest it a bit while munching some chow and then start side drifting it a few times with eggs. Then try backing down thru with the kicker with long lined Warts. Still no bites? Get the hell out of dodge and work for biters in the good springer holes on the way back down toward the Sultan. Same pattern elsewhere, unless other boats are in all the good holes then you just have to adapt. Hope you get one. The summer steelheading sure sux there this year.

#202524 - 07/02/03 09:42 AM Re: king Help
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Beezer

Thats a big FYI for me, I did not know it worked that way.

Does anyone know if this is actually stated in the regs this way?

#202525 - 07/02/03 01:10 PM Re: king Help
BERKLEY BOY75 Offline
Spawner

Loc: AUBURN
im heading to idaho to fish kings over there, and a good producer is bobber and jig, chartruese bucktail is allways a good color..,maybe wanna give that a try confused

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
FISH'N BRASS, jomat, Rollo, Venga, Warlock49766
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (darth baiter, wolverine), 832 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63786 Topics
645447 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |